Cabin locations on Sun/Main Deck Star Clipper

AdventureWarrior

I have some questions about cabins 533, 532 on the Sun Deck and 504-509 on the Main Deck. On rms 504-509, on one side they are near the bridge and on the other side, they are next to the Piano Bar and then Tropical Bar. For rms 532, 533, they are next to the pool. Is noise a problem with any of these rooms? Do people tend to hang out around the pool most of the night or does it get quiet after awhile? What is it like to stay on the Sun Deck vs the Main Deck?

Thanks

It's a guessing game as to what people will be doing. If noise is an issue with you, I'd definitely stay away from cabins near the pool. When we've sailed, lots of people are definitely there during the days and quite a few in the eve.

As far as 504-509, I've not been in that area at all. I'm guessing that 504-507 will be the most quiet. But 508-509, sharing a wall with the bar area, again might be a noise prob. Altho the Star Clippers cabins we've had (other areas of the ship) have always been well insulated.

Another thought: we always have found mid-ship to be the most stable, with very little to no movement felt, day or night. Aft can be least stable if seas are rough. That might enter into your decision, too. We were onboard Wind Star, similar in size to SC, and met up with 95mph winds one night. We were midship and felt nothing. Slept soundly. Those aft were bouncing around til captain found calmer seas a bit south.

504 - 509 are on the Main Deck with a Balcony. The Balcony is just a section of the Promenade Deck so while you are on your balcony people might use it to walk past. You get a window and a door with a window in it to access your cabin from the promenade deck. They do not seem to call it the promenade deck.

All the cabins you have mentioned in the OP require walking about on open deck to get to infrastructure for entertainment in the evening.

Regards John

504 - 509 are on the Main Deck with a Balcony. The Balcony is just a section of the Promenade Deck so while you are on your balcony people might use it to walk past. You get a window and a door with a window in it to access your cabin from the promenade deck. They do not seem to call it the promenade deck.

All the cabins you have mentioned in the OP require walking about on open deck to get to infrastructure for entertainment in the evening.

Regards John

To piggyback what John said that means in case of inclement weather or rough seas you need to walk across the open deck to get to dining room.

Forgot to mention when it is raining you can walk out of 504 to 509 and stay relatively under cover when trying to relocate to the dining room etc. This is not so with 532 and 533 where a short dash across an open wet slippery deck is going to be necessary.

The biggest noise source is the engine if they are using it. Transatlantic it is used 24/7 and I would avoid the aft area cabins particularly on low decks.

During the colder season a giant tarpaulin covers the area between the Tropical Bar and the Library.

Regards John

• 11 months later...

It seems like most people posting here were going on gut instinct rather than experience. Did you actually take that cruise and stay in 533? I just booked this same cabin for my honeymoon and I'm wondering the same thing. Is it too noisy? Or were you glad to have the pool-level cabin?

• 2 weeks later...
It's a guessing game as to what people will be doing. If noise is an issue with you, I'd definitely stay away from cabins near the pool. When we've sailed, lots of people are definitely there during the days and quite a few in the eve.

As far as 504-509, I've not been in that area at all. I'm guessing that 504-507 will be the most quiet. But 508-509, sharing a wall with the bar area, again might be a noise prob. Altho the Star Clippers cabins we've had (other areas of the ship) have always been well insulated.

Another thought: we always have found mid-ship to be the most stable, with very little to no movement felt, day or night. Aft can be least stable if seas are rough. That might enter into your decision, too. We were onboard Wind Star, similar in size to SC, and met up with 95mph winds one night. We were midship and felt nothing. Slept soundly. Those aft were bouncing around til captain found calmer seas a bit south.

Thanks for that Jim.

We are booked into 532: it was the last Cat 1 available and I was, as a keen photographer, very keen on being 'up top' on our particular itinerary.

Being rather a gregarious couple it will be nice to have the 'social' crowd on our doorstep, so as to speak and less distance to stagger when the party is over.

It seems like most people posting here were going on gut instinct rather than experience. Did you actually take that cruise and stay in 533? I just booked this same cabin for my honeymoon and I'm wondering the same thing. Is it too noisy? Or were you glad to have the pool-level cabin?

Hi Kitty.

I smiled at your comment.

Have a great honeymoon.