Summit passengers injured in excursion mishap. (Merged threads)

Hernando Cruisers

It looks like Celebrity is doing everything it can after this unfortunate accident. Here is a link to a newspaper article. http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/919118.html

Our thoughts are with the injured passengers. Glad to see Celebrity doing all they can.

Thanks for posting the link to the news article. Sounds like Celebrity is stepping up to the plate and really helping out their guests. Good Job Celebirty!

Laura

Thanks for posting the link to the news article. Sounds like Celebrity is stepping up to the plate and really helping out their guests. Good Job Celebirty!

Laura

Really? Celebrity is making good on an injury that occured on land? Even, though the cruise documents say there is no liability? Oh really.

I guess this explains why I take ship sponsored excursions.

Really? Celebrity is making good on an injury that occured on land? Even, though the cruise documents say there is no liability? Oh really.

I believe the "Caribbean Cooking Adventure" is a ship sponsored excursion.

This was a ship's sponsored tour however I would suggest you check out the below link for a non ships tour where Celebrity was universally praised for stepping up to the plate.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00000YwS8kyIVCpwC3KJtkBoiXF:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2006-03-22&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Just saw this on our local news, including the statement from Hanrahan. http://cbs4.com/local/cruise.ship.celebrity.2.942688.html

The bus looks quite strange...very different from the coaches I saw on my recent trip there. Nonetheless, good to see Celebrity stepping up to the plate and hoping to see a full recovery for all the passengers involved.

Just saw this on our local news, including the statement from Hanrahan. http://cbs4.com/local/cruise.ship.celebrity.2.942688.html

The bus looks quite strange...very different from the coaches I saw on my recent trip there. Nonetheless, good to see Celebrity stepping up to the plate and hoping to see a full recovery for all the passengers involved.

I wonder if it was an open air type bus. It's hard to tell by the photos.

This was a ship's sponsored tour however I would suggest you check out the below link for a non ships tour where Celebrity was universally praised for stepping up to the plate.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00000YwS8kyIVCpwC3KJtkBoiXF:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2006-03-22&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Don, I agree that Celebrity steps up to the plate more than most people think. Most of the people who died in that bus crash in Quito were from my community and most were my friends. Celebrity helped all the families get down there and helped getting the bodies back home. This was part of a big group from our community and Celebrity brought in grief counselors to be on the ship to help the others in the group who stayed on the ship to finish out their vacation. I am sure Celebrity is doing the same now.

Pat

This accident doesn't surprise me. I was on the Galaxy last month with some of the same ports, including Dominica. I held my breath more than once and almost stopped looking out the window as the buses and vans on all the islands drove on the "wrong" side of the extremely narrow roads with cliffs on one side and trenches on the other. :eek:

Being trnasfered to Miami is a hell of a lot better than having to stay at the Princess Margret on Domenica - lets put it this way it isn't the kind of hospital most of us are used tooo. I think the passengers will be far more comfortable in Miami even bearing the transfer in mind. Yes I have seen this hospital from the inside....

Wouldn't Celebrity be liable if it was a ship sponsored excursion? Just wondering??

There's a stipulation in the shore excursion ticket that these are independant vendors and that though the cruise line makes every effort to use reputable vendors it is not responsible.

Don, I agree that Celebrity steps up to the plate more than most people think. Most of the people who died in that bus crash in Quito were from my community and most were my friends. Celebrity helped all the families get down there and helped getting the bodies back home. This was part of a big group from our community and Celebrity brought in grief counselors to be on the ship to help the others in the group who stayed on the ship to finish out their vacation. I am sure Celebrity is doing the same now.

Pat

If I recall correctly, not only did Celebrity tend to the physical and emothonal needs of those involved, as noted above, they also went further, above and beyond, by quickly flying the group's Rabbi from New Jersey to South America. They did all this for a tour that was not booked through the cruise line.

... that corporations can show their ethical backbones (or lack thereof).

Obviously, Celebrity's response in this kind of emergency shows that the people at the top believe in doing what is right, not just what is "legally" expected of them. I knew that Celebrity what a good company, now I *respect* it.

Hurricane Wilma, in 2005, was the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic. I was a guest of the Grand Melia in Cancun when it hit. The Sol Melia chain went so far above and beyond in its efforts to keep us (guests and staff) safe during its fury and the chaos in its aftermath, that I am forever impressed with yet another corporation that has this kind of ethical backbone. I can affirm, as a first-hand witness, that most hotel chains abandoned their guests to their own devices at some point during that long ordeal in Cancun.

On our local news this morning, they had some footage of pax disembarking the emergency planes in Miami. Some were in stretchers, others walking off on their own power. I hope this means the injuries weren't terribly severe and they were just moved to Miami because the medical facilities were better stateside.

If I recall correctly, not only did Celebrity tend to the physical and emothonal needs of those involved, as noted above, they also went further, above and beyond, by quickly flying the group's Rabbi from New Jersey to South America. They did all this for a tour that was not booked through the cruise line.

I remember it well since at the time I lived only a few miles away from where they all lived and it was of course covered extensively in the local media....

Archived