First time disabled cruiser needs help

I would not even attempt a cruise, but my father is taking the whole family for his 70th birthday and hey will not go without me. We are booked on the 6/30/13 Breakaway sailing to Bermuda. I am an extremely large woman with limited mobility. I have rented a scooter and am n a handicapped cabin. Could you help me with a few questions

1. Will the room door open automatically when I insert the key
  2. I will be in the room alone...how will I get out of the door

1. Will there be things to do in the dockyard area of bermuda
  2. Will I be able to rent a private car to take me and a friend sightseeing around Bermuda.

Please offer me any advice, help and encouragement you have. I am very stressed about this undertaking.

I would not even attempt a cruise, but my father is taking the whole family for his 70th birthday and hey will not go without me. We are booked on the 6/30/13 Breakaway sailing to Bermuda. I am an extremely large woman with limited mobility. I have rented a scooter and am n a handicapped cabin. Could you help me with a few questions

2. Will I be able to rent a private car to take me and a friend sightseeing around Bermuda.

Please offer me any advice, help and encouragement you have. I am very stressed about this undertaking.

1, depends on the ship, most likely NO

2.depend on many things, but I have always done it.

3.YES

4.YES, and for a premium price you can take your scooter.

I have had very good tours arranged with:

Primary Email:

KeithSimmons@logic.bm

http://www.access.bm/

Notes:

Tour guide company we have used in the past.

Bermuda is one of my fav cruise destinations. Book a private tour of at least 5 hours.

Have lunch off the ship. Skip the ice cream shop. If you will be there on Wednesday, do not miss the dunking of the wench.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000092.htm

Agree with Jackretired's post but would like to add the following

• If no automatic door button than if request a door stop but this will require you to insert / take it out to open and close the door.
  • What I do is place the scooter in slow speed (turtle icon) than slowly pull up to the door . Place one hand on the door handle ,open the door and begin to slowly backing up the scooter to open the door enough so that you can get a good hold on the door and than drive through. If you push back hard enough on the door to fully open it most doors in HC cabins have a time delay close so you have enough time to get in or out evening if the door does not have an automatic button.

Will there be things to do in the dockyard area of Bermuda

• Here's a link to a map that will help you http://www.experiencebermuda.com/maps/pdf/DockyardMap.pdf
  • It's important to note that you will occasionally run come upon an area that has no curb cut outs that will require you to ride on the road. Please be carefully of motor vehicles. Especially the motor cycles as many are being driven by tourist who are inexperienced in operating such a vehicle.
  • The ferry to Hamilton is wheelchair accessible so you can just ride on/off with your scooter.

Will I be able to rent a private car to take me and a friend sightseeing around Bermuda.

[*] The taxis will be lined up directly as you exit the dock area.

[*] To have an accessible tour with a wheelchair accessible van you'll have to pre-arrange that prior to ever arriving in Bermuda. There is only one or two vans on the Island that have lifts.

[*] Depending on the type and size of scooter you rented it may be able to be broken down to fit into a trunk of a car taxi. Some van taxi's will lift the scooter into the cargo area but that all depends on the type of scooter.

[*] The Bermuda Buses are NOT wheelchair accessible .

[*] Do NOT leave the scooter unattended at the dock as you are responsible for cost of damage and or theft. Also scooter keys are not unique to each mobility scooter as are automobile keys .

With this all said , being disabled myself and needing a mobility scooter I found Bermuda a very nice place to visit. Go you will enjoy the cruise !

Celebrity solstice class ships have automatic door openers on both sides of the door. Haven't been to Bermuda but everywhere we went, accessible taxi cabs were available, some with hydraulic lifts, and some without. DH is paraplegic and we took the wheels off and folded the back of the chair down and stowed it in the trunk. We paid anywhere from $100 to $200 for a personalized tour from our cabbie and made many stops, even for lunch at an accessible restaurant on the beach in Mexico. Don't be afraid. Cruising is one of the most satisfying means of travel for the disabled, of all stripes.

I travel a lot by myself and use a scooter full time. If your cabin door doesn't automatically open, you can get yourself out of the cabin with little problem. I suggest practicing opening doors at home to figure out the best way to handle it for you.

There are a couple of restaurants in the Naval Dockyard, but one of them isn't accessible for scooters. There's also a cute little mall where they sell local items, plus a glass factory where locals make some beautiful items. But be careful about scootering in that area because the drivers are careless.

The ferry that takes you into downtown Hamilton is totally accessible. Once in the town you will find a lot of the stores are not accessible because there are stairs to get into them. The other big problem is I did not find an accessible bathroom in town, and I went into 3 different ones. And if the larger stores had accessible toilets, I couldn't use them because I couldn't get into the store. So if you go into town, make sure you won't need to use the bathroom.

Thank you. I was hoping o leave my scooter on the hip and have someone from ncl take me a wheelchair to the taxi stand, where I can hire a car with my friend to drive us around Bermuda. I would stay in the car and sightsee from my seat. Do you think this is possible

Thank you. I was hoping o leave my scooter on the hip and have someone from ncl take me a wheelchair to the taxi stand, where I can hire a car with my friend to drive us around Bermuda. I would stay in the car and sightsee from my seat. Do you think this is possible

No, but there maybe a tram that would take you from ship to taxi after you get off the ship.

I still recommend:

Primary Email:

KeithSimmons@logic.bm

http://www.access.bm/

Notes:

Tour guide company we have used in the past.

You will see and enjoy so much more with your scooter.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/BPHA.htm

http://sath.org/page/BERMUDA__DESTINATION/10121/1768/

Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute ~ BUEI

Explore two floors of exciting interactive exhibits! BUEI is designed to delight and inform visitors of all ages about the importance of preserving the world's oceans. The remarkable Jack Lightbourn Shell Collection is one of the finest exhibits in existence today. The Teddy Tucker Shipwreck Gallery and The Treasure Room transports you to the mysterious undersea world of shipwrecks, artefacts and valuable relics of historical importance. Explore the mysteries surrounding the legendary Bermuda Triangle. Experience a virtual shark attack! 'Dive' to the depths of the ocean in our virtual submersible without even getting wet. A once in a lifetime journey of adventure and discovery awaits you at BUEI.

Dockyard

Built by Royal decree to defend British superiority on the seas, the Royal Naval Dockyard is today a resplendent place of discovery. Within the walls of this nineteenth century fortress where troops once marched, there are now lawns, flower lined lanes, fine dining and a quaint Clocktower shopping mall. Where once all was war readiness, now exists an invitation to adventure. Swim with dolphins, snorkel at the Snorkel Park, or explore the historic Maritime Museum. By daylight or moonlight, there is so much to discover. Take the entire family on an outing to the West End...Discover the Dockyard...Bermuda's Royal Outing! (441) 234-1709

The worlds smallest drawbridge.

Dunking the wench.

Our first time to Bermuda we did a one way tour with http://www.access.bm

and returned on our own on the ferry. The second time we used http://www.access.bm and did a round trip tour with a stop for lunch at a restaurant that I could roll into. Prefer the second, but the first worked. Ferry tickets are a problem.

NCL states on it's website that wheelchair assistance is reserved exclusively for Embarkation ( initial boarding day) and Disembarkation ( last day leaving the ship) and if wheelchair assistance is required during the cruise the passenger has to have their own wheelchair or arrange to have a rental delivered to the ship. By the way this is generally true of most cruise lines.

Bottom line don't count on your plan being possible.

I was in an accessible room with a scooter and twice I could not open the door. I just phoned the steward and he was there within a minute. Also, you cannot take a ship's wheelchair off the ship (in most cases). They might make an exception if someone brings it right back. It would need to be a family member. If someone says they will let you do this, get their name!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I am confined to a power chair and love the cabins which have automatic door openers both in and out of the cabin. Celebrity's Eclipse and Millennium have such rooms. I would suggest using a travel agent like Vicki who works for the xxx Travel Agency. specializes in accessible travel and can answer your questions and will book you in an accessible room and MUCH more. My favorite cruise lines are RCCL and Celebrity.

Please recheck our guidelines regarding the posting of TA information.

Thanks.

I don't wish to be indelicate so please forgive me if I have misconstrued your description of your size.

Most ships do not have large, bariatric chairs available for passengers. Many have restrictions about availability of ordinary chairs, expecting passengers to bring their own if they need one on ship. Some do have a limited number available for excursions, but you either push yourself or have a carer to do the job. Perhaps your cruise line is going to be one of the more enlightened/helpful, but you should check carefully before sailing and it's wise to rely on nothing except the plans you have made and provided for yourself.

Good luck with the cruise though, it's a great envronment for people who have mobility problems and I hope you enjoy it.

Jack retired your info on Bermuda was wonderful, thank you for such a thorough investigation

Norma

I would suggest you call the cruise line and ask about the doors and the wheelchair. Get the answer straight from the houses mouth

Norma

• 2 weeks later...

It's been said on cc that the breakaway's doors open out into the hallway, which will make it easier to exit the cabin. I'm on the breakaway June 9th, I'll see what I can find out. I use a scooter for long distance, but don't have a HC cabin. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pat

Most do not, but with the Breakaway, being new, you have a good chance it will. As suggested above, check with NCL.

As far as borrowing a wheelchair from the ship, that probably won't work. You can rent one from the same place you rent the scooter. And, of course, one of your family members will have to push you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. It's really a good way to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this searching for information regarding NCL Breakaway's HC cabins.

I hope you can view this video which describes a wheelchair accessible cabin on NCL Breakaway. The doors automatically open into the cabin when you insert your keycard and there's a "pad" to push when you are inside to open the door to leave.

We had this on the Celebrity Silhouette. The door was nice and wide, perfect for the scooter to be driven in and out. There's a little ramp for the slider out to the balcony. The bathroom door is wider and the shower has a fold down seat.

The video is very detailed regarding the NCL Breakaway cabin. If you can't view this then go to youtube and search for Norwegian Breakaway Wheelchair Accessible stateroom. May 10-12, 2013.

Hope this helps ease your concerns.

Archived