Giving Turks & Caicos a 2nd Chance?

kansaskid

This will be our second time in port there. This is probably the least impressive Caribbean island we've visited (out of 15 or so). Last time we rented a golf cart and explored on our own. We made it to the lighthouse, a beach and who knows where else. All in all I don't know what we were expecting, but we had a ton more fun at more obscure places than here. And seeing as lots of people seem to love Turks & Caicos, maybe we're doing something wrong?

Someone please enlighten me! (I say that with a smile). We're looking for something fun for 2 adults & 2 kids (10 & 3). We love local, we love adventure, we love water and we love food. We do want to do something though, not just lay on the beach (water sports would be ok though) The kids are troopers, so nothing is out of the question.

Love to hear any ideas you might have. Thanks!

We're taking a 3-hour snorkel trip. There are several well-reviewed providers that offer these tours. Take a look at "Things to Do" on the Turks and Caicos forum in Trip Advisor to see names and reviews of the providers.

Your 3-year-old can't snorkel of course but the 10-year-old and another parent could do it.

Edited by GradUT

GT us an island, flat. all beaches and ocean. But you know that! One of the smaller beach clubs between Margaritaville and jacks as a couple of iceberg type inflatables anchored. But I agree with kansaskid...a snorkeing trip would be great. Not sure if they'd allow a 3 year old on board though. Cruise ship excursions are generally crowded. The other 2 snorkeling vendors not catering to cruise ships have small boats. Worth looking into though.

I'd suggest the snuba excursion....except that the 3-year old couldn't directly participate. (They might be able to come along, though, since it's a beach-entry excursion, not from a boat.)

The 10-year old could participate, however, and it's a lot of fun....as long as you're experienced with swimming and snorkeling. I've done it twice...the second time was at a different location than the first and was a lot better.

Edited by Pellaz

kansaskid - sounds like our first time there also. riding around town on a golf cart. We saw all the things you saw also. Not much there. We are going to be on the Glory in Feb and it stops here also, think it may be a day on the ship this time.:eek:

What about horseback riding in the ocean? They advertise as young as 6 and you don't need riding experience. The 3 yr old might be able to ride in the same saddle just in front of you or your hubby but you would have to email them to ask.

We have it booked for our cruise in December but we have done it in Jamaica and had an absolute ball!! It was so much fun riding along the trail and then the beach and the highlight....taking them into the ocean to swim/ride.

We took a cab (inexpensive) to Bohio Dive Resort. We then took a small motor boat out to the Wall, which is a beautiful snorkeling site. You can see the boat from shore and were willing to make a couple trips, so that may be an option if someone needs to stay back with the 3 year old. They also have kayaks, snorkels, stand up paddle boards, and equipment for water sports available for rent. We really enjoyed hanging out there and snorkeling and using their equipment. They also will serve lunch for a fee. I don't recall if the food was good or not.

We took a cab (inexpensive) to Bohio Dive Resort. We then took a small motor boat out to the Wall, which is a beautiful snorkeling site. You can see the boat from shore and were willing to make a couple trips, so that may be an option if someone needs to stay back with the 3 year old. They also have kayaks, snorkels, stand up paddle boards, and equipment for water sports available for rent. We really enjoyed hanging out there and snorkeling and using their equipment. They also will serve lunch for a fee. I don't recall if the food was good or not.

So the snorkel trip was booked at the resort, not in advance? Any idea what the costs were? I know you said inexpensive cab, but what about the other things? Was it a day pass or??

Thanks - I have lots of questions because this sounds right up our alley.

This will be our second time in port there. This is probably the least impressive Caribbean island we've visited (out of 15 or so). Last time we rented a golf cart and explored on our own. We made it to the lighthouse, a beach and who knows where else. All in all I don't know what we were expecting, but we had a ton more fun at more obscure places than here. And seeing as lots of people seem to love Turks & Caicos, maybe we're doing something wrong?

Someone please enlighten me! (I say that with a smile). We're looking for something fun for 2 adults & 2 kids (10 & 3). We love local, we love adventure, we love water and we love food. We do want to do something though, not just lay on the beach (water sports would be ok though) The kids are troopers, so nothing is out of the question.

Love to hear any ideas you might have. Thanks!

You know that when people refer to Turks & Caicos (when not arriving on a ship) are generally talking about Providenciales, which is a neighboring island and the most popular for resort stays. Provo is bigger and much more populated than Grand Turk, so there is a lot more to do there. So when you hear people saying they love going to Turks & Caicos, they could very well be talking about a different island.

That being said, GT is pretty much a beach day, and I'd treat it as such, especially since you've already toured the island. Maybe do a day sail or something like that. We plan on going into town for some crack conch for lunch and then just hanging out on the beach. The beach there is beautiful, and I'd personally rather be sitting on the beach looking at that gorgeous blue water, than sitting on the ship, but that's up to the individual.