Camp Carnival vs Day Care?

turbomom

Will going to camp carnival feel like daycare to my 8 year old son? I've been on carnival before with older sister who didn't go to the kid activites, spent most of time with mom, grandma and older cousins but it will be it's just me and the kids this time. I would like to be able to have some "mom time" at some point during the trip, but he is already against going. He says he already does stuff like that at daycare. I hate to ask his older sister to babysit when she plans on having fun without little brother. Any suggestions?

We haven't done dare care with our DD since she was 4 but she's been in organized summer programs since she's been in school. She explains that the ship's program are like the best days in her summer programs all kind of squeezed together (her words). She likes meeting new kids - and since most of them are also there either alone or with a sibling in another age group, it's pretty easy to do. She likes the activities - there tends to be a good cross-section of stuff - and a bit messier than the average day care center will do. Don't know Carnival in particular - but on Princess, RCI, and NCL she had a great time. I suppose it is a sign that I may be saying somethings a bit too often, but her line was "hey, it's what HE makes of it" (if she starts to say "if everyone else jumps off a cliff, does that mean you jump off the cliff" - I'll know that I've started to channel my mother!! :D )

DS was 6 on our last couple of cruises, and the move up to the 6-8 group brought a lot of changes, compared with the 2-5's. The 6-8's have activities all over the ship, including in the disco during the day. They are taken to see the shows en masse at night. Just a lot more variety in venues, activities, etc. So, IMHO, it will feel more like a very cool summer camp than ho-hum day care! Hope your son (and you!) agree! Happy cruising!

I just did my first cruise with my three darlings, 4, 8 and 10. They all loved going to camp carnival. My 8 yo was disappointed not to be able to go into the older group with his brother (he is almost 9 and they do know the kids ages, so don't try and fib to get them into a higher/lower group). That being said, the activities for the 6-8s were not "baby", but geared more toward the younger crowd. Whereas the 9-11s had more "freedom"- they can check in and out oun their own and do activities that are in small groups without the counselor. The 6-8s stay as a group and move about the boat. We used the camp off and on throughout the week. Mostly in the early evening while we were getting ready for dinner- we would get the kids ready, take them to camp, go back to the cabin, get ready and then pick them up for dinner. We did not leave them while we went on excursions, but I know that you can if you want to.

Archived