Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

my 02 cents. I think the government handled this situation from the back side of the donkey, but we have to keep on living our lives. I admit I was totally freeked out with the first people with this virus, but my attitude now is. "I can't personally do anything about it so I'll just ignore it and hopefully it will go away."

PS after a lot of discussion and going back and forth we just booked a cruise for January 2015. SO THERE EBOLA! Not stopping my travel plans.

my 02 cents. I think the government handled this situation from the back side of the donkey, but we have to keep on living our lives. I admit I was totally freeked out with the first people with this virus, but my attitude now is. "I can't personally do anything about it so I'll just ignore it and hopefully it will go away."

PS after a lot of discussion and going back and forth we just booked a cruise for January 2015. SO THERE EBOLA! Not stopping my travel plans.

Well done, have a great trip - not too long to wait, either:)

Sweeeeet!!!!

Have fun!

Talk about 'target rich environment'...... :eek

Forget Ebola on one cruise ship. Picture Port Everglades with eight beautiful cruise ships all docked.

You mistook the meaning of the quote.

It meant there are so many potential targets that your chances of becoming a victim are slim indeed.

Are you still committed to that position? And, not going to worry?

Yes. Just returned from a 2 1/2 week Mediterranean cruise and will be traveling to Rome at the end of this month, and SE Asia in February... and 2 more int'l trips planned already in 2015.

And... it does appear that you can contract Ebloa from someone not showing any symptoms.

Can you direct me to information where this is confirmed?

Also... respectfully.... do you have a medical degree?

I am not a physician but have worked in the medical and health industries for over 25 years. I also have many associates who work at Emory (including the team that treated the first two Ebola patients brought to the US) and the CDC.

Lastly.... Ebola was first diagnosed in 1976 - Not really new.

Relatively speaking, that's a pretty new disease.

I've just returned from a lovely cruise with about 50% US and 50% passengers from other countries. I was asked many questions by those from other countries about why the US is so hysterical about the threat of Ebola. I had no good answer. :o

I've just returned from a lovely cruise with about 50% US and 50% passengers from other countries. I was asked many questions by those from other countries about why the US is so hysterical about the threat of Ebola. I had no good answer. :o

I would like to reply and suggest to you an answer, but no doubt a reminder would be to stay on topic "Ebola making a difference on your next cruise?"

Apparently Ebola had created enough of a concern that it was a topic where people needed to ask you "MANY" questions.

I just read this story:

Australia is contracting a private company to staff and operate an Ebola treatment centre in Sierra Leone, Prime Minister Tony Abbot has said.

He said Australia would commit A$20m (£11m; $17m) to a 100-bed treatment centre being built by the UK.

But he ruled out sending government health workers - most workers would be hired locally with international staff likely to include some Australians.

I am still not sure how comfortable my wife is about getting on a ship now...

It is nice to see other counties spending money trying to end this Ebola outbreak.

It sure would GREAT if a cure was found this terrible virus.

DW and I were very concerned and debating about cancelling existing cruises around the 1st part of October until we started reading various articles both from MD's, Gov't agencies and boards such as Cruise Critic. We decided to move forward with our original plans for now and then bought CCL stock at a very low price and received additional OBC for our cruises. Stock is up, OBC's are applied and we continue to "monitor" the Ebola situation.

Apparently Ebola had created enough of a concern that it was a topic where people needed to ask you "MANY" questions.

<snip>

I agree. It is interesting MANY people wished to discuss the subject with cruisemom42. That seems to indicate more than casual interest in discussing this serious illness.

I agree. It is interesting MANY people wished to discuss the subject with cruisemom42. That seems to indicate more than casual interest in discussing this serious illness.

What the poster actually said was she was asked many questions ABOUT WHY THE US IS SO HYSTERICAL ABOUT THE THREAT OF EBOLA. Posting only a partial quote gives an entirely different meaning to what the questions and conversation was on the ship. It was about the US hysterical reaction, not the disease itself.

To this day only 2 people have contracted ebola in the US and they were both health care workers exposed to bodily fluids at the very end stage of the patient's life when the disease is at its most contagious. No one who has been with an ebola victim when they were asymptomatic or just beginning to have symptoms in the early stages, including family members and health workers who cared for them, has gotten ebola.

You really think that people were asking a cruiser from the US many questions about Ebola?:rolleyes: Sure, Sail. I bet they were lining up to get info from Cruisemom.:D

Perhaps I should further clarify and say that the questions I was asked were primarily variants of just two basic questions:

From fellow (non-U.S.) cruisers: Why are people in the US overreacting so much on this issue? (Keeping in mind that during the week run-up to this cruise and the first week on cruise, there were many news stories on International news channels about US "overreactions" to Ebola fears.)

From staff onboard ship: Why are US cruisers cancelling cruises with us in very high numbers and giving Ebola fears as a reason for cancellation, while others (in different geographies) are not doing the same?

You really think that people were asking a cruiser from the US many questions about Ebola?:rolleyes: Sure, Sail. I bet they were lining up to get info from Cruisemom.:D

It never ceases to amaze me on this board how things get taken out of context so very often.

Initially I thought perhaps people just weren't reading responses carefully. After several years, I've concluded that some of it is simply mischief-making by others. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should further clarify and say that the questions I was asked were primarily variants of just two basic questions:

From fellow (non-U.S.) cruisers: Why are people in the US overreacting so much on this issue? (Keeping in mind that during the week run-up to this cruise and the first week on cruise, there were many news stories on International news channels about US "overreactions" to Ebola fears.)

From staff onboard ship: Why are US cruisers cancelling cruises with us in very high numbers and giving Ebola fears as a reason for cancellation, while others (in different geographies) are not doing the same?

Thanks, cruisemom, but it was clear in your first post that the questions were about US overreaction and hysteria. It was obviously misquoted to bolster a particular view. It is interesting that the staff has also noted the US hysteria which certainly so far has proved unwarranted.

Initially I thought perhaps people just weren't reading responses carefully. After several years, I've concluded that some of it is simply mischief-making by others. :rolleyes:

You think ? ;) If there is going to be a discussion let's at least be honest. Until the 2 US citizens contracted Ebola in Africa and were transported back, with news coverage worthy of a presidential inauguration, the majority of the US population had no idea or at least didn't care. The hype continued to grow with Duncan, exploding with the 2 nurses testing positive. But then as cruisin'girl said has anybody contracted Ebola thru casual contact. The media would have you thought the airplane that the nurse was on would end up being like something from The Stand or The Strain.

No one who has been with an ebola victim when they were asymptomatic or just beginning to have symptoms in the early stages' date=' including family members and health workers who cared for them, has gotten ebola.

[/quote']

Even more glaring was the lack of sensational coverage as all the people that were confined with Duncan while he was sick came out of their 21 days completely clear.

We weren't worried about cruising before and this hasn't changed. Veendam in a month in a half.

Thank you for clarifying your first post.

It really didn't need clarifying. As you said, people will read what they want into a comment. What you had to say was very clear.