Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Other Mediterranean Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Other Mediterranean Ports Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar

Old January 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dubrovnik excusions.....need help please

We will be in Dubrovnik in July. Do you suggest a Celebrity tour, private tour, or simply doing this port on our own? What are the "must sees"? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlijny View Post
We will be in Dubrovnik in July. Do you suggest a Celebrity tour, private tour, or simply doing this port on our own? What are the "must sees"? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks
jlijny:
The Dubrovnik tourist bureau has an vast amount of information which you can decide exactly what you would like to see. July is very busy, not as bad as August, however you should plan your day to take advantage of the sights of Dubrovnik. There is more to our town than just walking the city walls, which is a good way to see the old town. The walls are 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 650 steps and takes about 2 hours if you stop to take photos. If your ship is arriving here on either Saturday or Sunday, be prepared for very large crowds. Weekdays are so much better and you do need to know where you're going to take advantage of my home.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlijny View Post
There is no need for an organized tour. It is an easy do-it-yourself port city. Maybe invest in a cruise line bus ride to the city (if you dock.) If you tender, that would not be necessary.

Read through some of the older posts on Dubrovnik - very helpful. Do a search on "Croatian Travelady" and read her posts. Extremely informative and helpful.

Jack (L) 10-1-1995 to 04/27/2010
Freckles (R) 8-24-1998 tp present
(German Shorthaired Pointers)

RCI Radiance - W Caribbean - 11/2006
RCI Legend - Greek Isles/Egypt -6/2007
Costa Fortuna - SE Caribbean - 3/2008
RCI - Legend - Italy & Croatia - 10/2008 - Trip Review
MSC Orchestra - New Years Weekend - 1/2009
RCI Navigator - W Caribbean - 3/2009
NCL Star - Alaska - 7/2009
MSC Poesia - S Caribbean, Panama & Mexico - 11/2009
Azamara Journey - SE Caribbean -4/2010 - Photos
RCI Jewel - Scandanavia/Russia - 6/2010 - Planning - Photos
Azamara Quest - 14 NT Best of Italy - 10/2010 - Planning - Blog Review
RCI Allure - Western Caribbean - 1/2011
Azamara Journey - SE Caribbean - 3/2011
RCI Radiance - Australia/New Zealand - 11/2011
Italian Trains for Cruise Passengers

Old January 8th, 2009, 12:30 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian travelady View Post
jlijny:
The Dubrovnik tourist bureau has an vast amount of information which you can decide exactly what you would like to see. July is very busy, not as bad as August, however you should plan your day to take advantage of the sights of Dubrovnik. There is more to our town than just walking the city walls, which is a good way to see the old town. The walls are 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 650 steps and takes about 2 hours if you stop to take photos. If your ship is arriving here on either Saturday or Sunday, be prepared for very large crowds. Weekdays are so much better and you do need to know where you're going to take advantage of my home.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
Thanks for the link. I am especially enthrawled by the walking tour..Any idea how long it would take?

Thanks so much

Mel

NCL Breakaway May 2014
Disney Dream Jan/Feb 2014 B2B
Carnival Sunshine Jan 2014
Carnival Conquest Nov 2013
Norwegian Pearl Aug 2013 Alaska
Carnival Legend Jul 2013 12 nt Baltics
Carnival Breeze Jun 2012 12 nt Med
Carnival Inspiration Dec 2011 14 nt Panama
Carnival Fascination Oct 2011
Carnival Fascination Jan 2011
Carnival Freedom Oct 2010
Carnival Miracle May 2010
Carnival Dream Oct 3 2009 12 nt Med cruise
ISLAND Princess Jun 30 2008
Carnival Glory March 8 2008
Carnival Miracle Jun 2007
Carnival Conquest April 2007
Carnival Valor Jan 2007
Carnival Ecstasy 1996
Carnival Holiday 1995

..I have decided to work to pay the mortgage and vacation.. ...

http://youtu.be/-1rbdkHNWLM

Barcelona Magic Fountain show!!

Old January 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnms View Post
Thanks for the link. I am especially enthrawled by the walking tour..Any idea how long it would take?

Thanks so much

Mel
Mel: Which walking tour are you talking about. The city walls will take 2 hours if you stop to take photos. Walking around the town, depends on where you stop. The tour companies all go to the same places and skip the best Churches and museums, I have my own favorites. They also use very big group sizes often more than 30 guests. Too big, can't hear a thing and locals tend to make fun of the large groups.
Personally I do not believe than anyone can "Do it on your own" and experience the true essence of Dubrovnik. Sorry other posters that is my personal thought.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
An American Living in Dubrovnik

Last edited by croatian travelady; January 8th, 2009 at 02:04 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDennis View Post
Great! We are still working on the schedule since our daughter is having some big changes in her life and we are thinking about visiting again in September or October! Simply in love with Croatia! Don't blame ya for not going back and I agree that group tours are no good. We found this great Croatian boutique agency and they did everything for us. I just enjoy small group, personal experience
This past year September was still very busy. The biggest group of tourists come off the Costa cruises and they seem to have one ship or another in port every few days. October is wonderful and I don't swim any longer, but many locals still do.
As far as I'm concerned the only way to see the Dalmatian coast is from the sea, but not a cruise ship. A group of us chartered a small 90' wooden gulet and we spend 7 nights cruising from Trogir to Dubrovnik. We stopped on several islands, small bays and inlets and basically only moved 4 hours per day. It was fantastic and I would do it again in a New York minute. The total group was 12 and we each had a cabin with private facilities, tiny but ok.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Old January 9th, 2009, 01:23 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Mel: Which walking tour are you talking about. The city walls will take 2 hours if you stop to take photos. Walking around the town, depends on where you stop. The tour companies all go to the same places and skip the best Churches and museums, I have my own favorites. They also use very big group sizes often more than 30 guests. Too big, can't hear a thing and locals tend to make fun of the large groups.
Personally I do not believe than anyone can "Do it on your own" and experience the true essence of Dubrovnik. Sorry other posters that is my personal thought.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

I had seen a walking tour on the tourism website you have given. Would you recommend a private walking tour then?

thanks

Mel

NCL Breakaway May 2014
Disney Dream Jan/Feb 2014 B2B
Carnival Sunshine Jan 2014
Carnival Conquest Nov 2013
Norwegian Pearl Aug 2013 Alaska
Carnival Legend Jul 2013 12 nt Baltics
Carnival Breeze Jun 2012 12 nt Med
Carnival Inspiration Dec 2011 14 nt Panama
Carnival Fascination Oct 2011
Carnival Fascination Jan 2011
Carnival Freedom Oct 2010
Carnival Miracle May 2010
Carnival Dream Oct 3 2009 12 nt Med cruise
ISLAND Princess Jun 30 2008
Carnival Glory March 8 2008
Carnival Miracle Jun 2007
Carnival Conquest April 2007
Carnival Valor Jan 2007
Carnival Ecstasy 1996
Carnival Holiday 1995

..I have decided to work to pay the mortgage and vacation.. ...

http://youtu.be/-1rbdkHNWLM

Barcelona Magic Fountain show!!

Old January 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
A group of us chartered a small 90' wooden gulet and we spend 7 nights cruising from Trogir to Dubrovnik. We stopped on several islands, small bays and inlets and basically only moved 4 hours per day. It was fantastic and I would do it again in a New York minute. The total group was 12 and we each had a cabin with private facilities, tiny but ok. Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
My brother in law and his wife and 2 kids did sort of the same thing. After a short stay at Lake Cuomo/Milan, they flew to Split where they chartered an 85 ft. yacht with full crew and spent 5 days/4 nights. But they only "explored" around Split. They loved it tho.... was in August and hot hot hot. When they wanted they stopped the boat and dove in

So far: 10 cruises - 5 Royal Caribbean, 3 Celebrity, 1 Princess & 1 Holland America

Life is short ..forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably... and never regret anything that made you smile

Old January 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by texancruzer View Post
My brother in law and his wife and 2 kids did sort of the same thing. After a short stay at Lake Cuomo/Milan, they flew to Split where they chartered an 85 ft. yacht with full crew and spent 5 days/4 nights. But they only "explored" around Split. They loved it tho.... was in August and hot hot hot. When they wanted they stopped the boat and dove in
Texancruzer:
Too bad they didn't have the chance to go all the way down. We cruised all the way down the coast, with an overnight in Hvar, Mljet, Korcula, Sipan and finally Dubrovnik. When in Korcula we took the ferry to Orebic, my mother's birthplace, and had a lamb under the petka. This restaurant was originally an olive oil press business many years prior and still had the original old stone press.
Breakfast and lunch was on board the boat and dinner at our overnight spot. Being so close to the mainland and weaving in and out of the many islands was an incredible way to see the southern coastline.
There are many boats here offering these trips and one must be very careful when booking such a trip. Some owners claim to be Star boats, but are far from it. Cost is rather on the high side, but so worth it with a crew of 4 and total guests were only 12.
August is always the hottest month here and the busiest, especially mega cruisers. It's a shame they all seem to arrive on Saturday and Sunday as it not the best way to visit Dubrovnik with those kinds of crowds.
Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

croatian travelady...I know this is off topic...but if I have to choose between a cruise that stops in Split or Dubrovnik for one day, which would you recommend?

Thanks

Old January 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel26 View Post
croatian travelady...I know this is off topic...but if I have to choose between a cruise that stops in Split or Dubrovnik for one day, which would you recommend?

Thanks
Just answered that question on another post. I left California this past January and have been living here for one year. Have no desire to return to the US for anything other than to visit family and friends.
George Bernard Shaw is quoted as saying "If you want to find paradise on earth, go to Dubrovnik."

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
Hi Croatian Travelady - What "favorites" are you referring to in your message quoted above? I can't tell whether you're referring to the churches that large tour groups skip or your favorite tour companies? I ask because we will be visiting Dubrovnik mostly on our own so I would be interested in knowing your favorite churches. However, we are also considering taking a short walking tour of the city and wonder if you have any guide recommendations. Thanks!

All the Best,
Tammy

Celebrity Equinox ~ Feb 23, 2015 ~ Ultimate Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity ~ Jan 3, 2016 ~ Argentina and Chile
Azamara Quest ~ Sept 9, 2016 ~ London, Paris, Quebec City and Montreal Transatlantic

M/S Anahi, Apr 4, 2014, Galapagos Islands ~ Celebrity Silhouette, Jan 19, 2014, Eastern Caribbean ~ Celebrity Silhouette, Jan 26, 2014, Western Caribbean ~ Celebrity Infinity, Oct 2013, Immersive Wine Cruise, Europe ~ MS Sound of Music, Apr 2013, The Danube, Nuremburg to Budapest ~ Azamara Journey, Feb 2013, Discovering Vietnam and Thailand ~ Azamara Quest, Nov 2012, Canary Islands, Madeira and Cadiz ~ Caribbean Princess, Jan 2012, Southern Caribbean ~ Oceana Nautica, Oct 2009, Venice to Athens ~ Island Princess, Feb 2009, Panama Canal, Full Transit ~ Coral Princess, May/June 2007, Alaska CruiseTour ~ Star Princess, Aug 2005, The Baltics ~ Celebrity Constellation, Feb 2004, Southern Caribbean ~ Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas, Jan 2003, Southern Caribbean ~ Orient Crown Odyssey, May 2001, Eastern Mediterranean ~ Sun Princess, April 1995, Western Caribbean

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottam View Post
Hi Croatian Travelady - What "favorites" are you referring to in your message quoted above? I can't tell whether you're referring to the churches that large tour groups skip or your favorite tour companies? I ask because we will be visiting Dubrovnik mostly on our own so I would be interested in knowing your favorite churches. However, we are also considering taking a short walking tour of the city and wonder if you have any guide recommendations. Thanks!

All the Best,
Tammy
As I've mentioned before I cannot recommend any guides for Dubrovnik. Since I live here I am required to only advise on general information.

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubrovniktravelady View Post
As I've mentioned before I cannot recommend any guides for Dubrovnik. Since I live here I am required to only advise on general information.
Yes, I have gotten that impression from reading past postings but your previous answer sounded different, which is why I asked for a clarification. I assume then that you were referring to your favorite churches that the tour guides skip. Could you share which churches those are. I'd like to try to visit some hidden gems. Thanks again!

Celebrity Equinox ~ Feb 23, 2015 ~ Ultimate Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity ~ Jan 3, 2016 ~ Argentina and Chile
Azamara Quest ~ Sept 9, 2016 ~ London, Paris, Quebec City and Montreal Transatlantic

M/S Anahi, Apr 4, 2014, Galapagos Islands ~ Celebrity Silhouette, Jan 19, 2014, Eastern Caribbean ~ Celebrity Silhouette, Jan 26, 2014, Western Caribbean ~ Celebrity Infinity, Oct 2013, Immersive Wine Cruise, Europe ~ MS Sound of Music, Apr 2013, The Danube, Nuremburg to Budapest ~ Azamara Journey, Feb 2013, Discovering Vietnam and Thailand ~ Azamara Quest, Nov 2012, Canary Islands, Madeira and Cadiz ~ Caribbean Princess, Jan 2012, Southern Caribbean ~ Oceana Nautica, Oct 2009, Venice to Athens ~ Island Princess, Feb 2009, Panama Canal, Full Transit ~ Coral Princess, May/June 2007, Alaska CruiseTour ~ Star Princess, Aug 2005, The Baltics ~ Celebrity Constellation, Feb 2004, Southern Caribbean ~ Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas, Jan 2003, Southern Caribbean ~ Orient Crown Odyssey, May 2001, Eastern Mediterranean ~ Sun Princess, April 1995, Western Caribbean