Onboard account errors

Got back last Thursday from Red Sea Magic, which we thoroughly enjoyed and on checking my bank account tonight I see there is a deduction of £1.75 today (5 days after we are home!) by the Celebration. My account was settled midway through the cruise at £151.40. We were AI and did not buy any surcharged drinks or anything else after the £151 was deducted. It's a strange amount and although small I am concerned that my bank account was debited without any notification:mad: I hope they have not left my card active for our cabin, I don't know if this is possible however...:(

I have emailed Thomson for clarification but wondering has anyone else experienced this?

Got back last Thursday from Red Sea Magic, which we thoroughly enjoyed and on checking my bank account tonight I see there is a deduction of £1.75 today (5 days after we are home!) by the Celebration. My account was settled midway through the cruise at £151.40. We were AI and did not buy any surcharged drinks or anything else after the £151 was deducted. It's a strange amount and although small I am concerned that my bank account was debited without any notification:mad: I hope they have not left my card active for our cabin, I don't know if this is possible however...:(

I have emailed Thomson for clarification but wondering has anyone else experienced this?

I believe your account is open until you leave the ship - did you buy any water to take with you on your last day?

Glad you had a good time. One thing we are trying to find out at the moment - there appears to have been changes to the AI drinks recently - did you get cans of drink included on the AI option or is it just glasses of drinks now??

Did you notice any changes since they have upgraded the public areas of the ship? Is it looking good? What was the sunbed situation like? (ie is it still a battle to get one :) ?!)

You should have been given a copy of your final account statement immediately prior to the cruise ending.

Check that against receipts.

Good idea to keep receipts and statement for several weeks post cruise.

Your account won't be open for the incoming cabin occupants, they have to register their method of payment on boarding.

I believe your account is open until you leave the ship - did you buy any water to take with you on your last day?

Price = large bottle of water.

Glad you had a good time. One thing we are trying to find out at the moment - there appears to have been changes to the AI drinks recently - did you get cans of drink included on the AI option or is it just glasses of drinks now??

Glasses. Ditto with water, which makes for more work for the waiters. Not chilled either. No Toasted Almond now, sigh!

A few people, particularly the boozers complained their was little, or even no alcohol in some of their drinks.

Did you notice any changes since they have upgraded the public areas of the ship? Is it looking good? What was the sunbed situation like? (ie is it still a battle to get one :) ?!)

Lido Deck area (inc bar and servery area) is really smart now, new tables/chairs too.

Sunbeds on sea days were a pain. But there are 'sunbed police' on duty, with a polite warning in the daily news sheet. It's not so much the lack of sunbeds, it's the users that are the problem. I can't stay still long enough to be bothered with them.

our final bill was the £151.40 ( which was deducted at halfway point of cruise) we bought nothing chargeable after that and nothing on the last morning, certainly no water. All we had was couple of glasses of sprite a cocktail, 1 pint and couple of wines (quite small these days!) at lunch all covered by the AI. If we had bought anything it should have been charged to our account on departure day 6th December and not 11th December.

I see Lancaster Lad has answered your other queries, thought the Lido deck too packed and breezy so we stayed on top deck, always got a sunbed but if you wait until 1030 to try it was less likely, only saw towels removed from 1 sunbed on sea day and that was after 55 minutes. On AI if you want the whole 330ml can you will be charged 95p or it's free by the glass same for water. When I asked for water the barman always included ice so I had no problem with that.

Still waiting for Thomson reply and if not forthcoming will pop in to TA when I'm passing on Friday, as I say it's not the end of the world but if they nick a couple of quid off everyone:(

The public areas refurb is very nice and couldn't find fault with it.

Thank you both for your replies - I knew that water was chargeable apart from by the glass; shame there's no-where you can help yourself to water now like you used to be able to; like you say Lancaster Lad, makes more work for the bar staff!

Thanks for confirmation re soft drinks - now by the glass or by the can is charged at 95p! Again - more work for bar staff!

Very strange about your £1.75 that was charged to your account, 790294! Do tell us when you find out what it was!

Thank you both for your replies - I knew that water was chargeable apart from by the glass; shame there's no-where you can help yourself to water now like you used to be able to; like you say Lancaster Lad, makes more work for the bar staff!

Thanks for confirmation re soft drinks - now by the glass or by the can is charged at 95p! Again - more work for bar staff!

Very strange about your £1.75 that was charged to your account, 790294! Do tell us when you find out what it was!

Oh I will Jules because I certainly didn't buy anything after the day at sea!

Meant to mention day at sea is best to buy Spirits cigarettes necklaces/bracelets etc. 1L Smirnoff vodka £8.50 Grouse whisky £10.20 and although I don't smoke I think 200 Embassy Regal was £21. Queues start at 10am! go back with your purchase after 4pm and bottles will be bubble wrapped for free.:D

Hi, Was there a Table Tennis anywhere when you were onboard. Many thanks.

Hi, Was there a Table Tennis anywhere when you were onboard. Many thanks.

Can't say I noticed but if there was it would probably have been on sports deck but that was out of action due to the refit as the 'workie's used it for storage and cutting up pieces of wood etc. Bars were ok though hic:D

Could this be the handling fee they charge if you use a credit card to settle your onboard account:confused:

No I used my debit card so no fee. I went into my TA after work today and she was advised by Thomson after sales service that it was a complaint and had only been logged yesterday so they will get back within 28 days. Ok but I should have had an acknowledgement:( I think that I have been either charged for a bottle of water out cabin, there was none there all week and I wouldn't have used it anyway or a last day cabin number error on the drinks receipt or worse of all, albeit unlikely, whoever was in 344 last week had my card allocated against them:eek:

Chanced my mitt with TA asking when my free cruise would be:p

"Chanced my mitt with TA asking when my free cruise would be:p"

There's a vacancy on a short cruise next year - 29th to 31st February. :D

Thomson wouldn't discount due to lack of availability:D

• 2 months later...

Very strange about your £1.75 that was charged to your account, 790294! Do tell us when you find out what it was![/QUOTE]

Thomson replied that I had bought a bottle of water and ambled on about charges debited after leaving the ship. I didn't buy anything so I challenged them to provide proof of my signature. They have now replied saying they were sorry and included a £10 :) for my inconvenience, which is fine as I only wanted my £1.75 back. Anyway I suspect steward has made the mistake in first place and wrongly marked me down for using water in cabin. Lesson learned as it could have been for a lot more, so I will check the items in cabin when I board and also check at reception before I leave that no other 'charges' are pending!

Very strange about your £1.75 that was charged to your account, 790294! Do tell us when you find out what it was![/QUOTE]

Thomson replied that I had bought a bottle of water and ambled on about charges debited after leaving the ship. I didn't buy anything so I challenged them to provide proof of my signature. They have now replied saying they were sorry and included a £10 :) for my inconvenience, which is fine as I only wanted my £1.75 back. Anyway I suspect steward has made the mistake in first place and wrongly marked me down for using water in cabin. Lesson learned as it could have been for a lot more, so I will check the items in cabin when I board and also check at reception before I leave that no other 'charges' are pending!

At least they got back to you. Thanks for letting us know, we can keep an eye out for it in future cruises

At least they got back to you. Thanks for letting us know, we can keep an eye out for it in future cruises

I know it was only a small amount, but it was really annoying. However they did the decent thing...eventually.

I should have said 790294 thanks for coming back to let us know the outcome. It's good to know how things get sorted (or not as the case may be) as occasionally we get posters coming on seeking advice and help and after everyone has done their best to provide ideas or info, we never hear from them again.

Not only are we left wondering how they got on but it's a bit inconsiderate given the time forum members spend in trying to be supportive for the original poster not to give feed-back. So many thanks again, I appreciate you fishing this thread out and letting us all know the resolution to your problem. :)

I should have said 790294 thanks for coming back to let us know the outcome. It's good to know how things get sorted (or not as the case may be) as occasionally we get posters coming on seeking advice and help and after everyone has done their best to provide ideas or info, we never hear from them again.

Not only are we left wondering how they got on but it's a bit inconsiderate given the time forum members spend in trying to be supportive for the original poster not to give feed-back. So many thanks again, I appreciate you fishing this thread out and letting us all know the resolution to your problem. :)

You are all welcome:) but I wonder how many other little £1.75's slip by unnoticed or otherwise:(

but I wonder how many other little £1.75's slip by unnoticed or otherwise:(

yes I've wondered that too, we also had a couple of phantom minibar charges? small amounts....we know we didn’t use the minbar...we never do, we didn’t notice until we checked our bill on the last day...I guess errors do creep in but by then the queue at reception was snaking around the block...so just didn’t bother

pleased that Thoms have sorted this out for you

yes I've wondered that too, we also had a couple of phantom minibar charges? small amounts....we know we didn’t use the minbar...we never do, we didn’t notice until we checked our bill on the last day...I guess errors do creep in but by then the queue at reception was snaking around the block...so just didn’t bother

pleased that Thoms have sorted this out for you

I noticed on the final morning that I had been charged twice for the hairdressing salon. I went to the reception and explained that I had visited the salon only once. The receptionist then sent me back to the hairdressing salon as she said she could not refund the the money. The hairdresser then had to phone the receptionist to explain that a mistake had been made. She then asked me to return to reception where they would do the refund. Back and forth, back and forth...just glad I noticed before leaving the ship as I imagine it would be more difficult to obtain a refund when I got home. The sum involved was about £45.

Archived