SB cabins

ISABELLA

I am currently in 6648 in St Martin. If the picture posts well I will post more when we get out to sea because right now all I can see is the Regal Princess. From inside the cabin and at the back of the balcony there is no obstruction. When you look aft from the edge of the balcony you can see the lifeboats on deck 5.

For this picture you can see the unobstructed view of the Regal Princess. More later - time to go to the beach!

image.jpg.5f34d188536d4c894485ad6c3717ffa9.jpg

These pictures tell it all. The only thing missing is the " obstructed " view, which can be seen on the Jan 23 live post - I think day 2. Post 268 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2154636&page=14

What you have to understand is that in order to enjoy your obstructed view, you must go 11 feet out to the closest balcony rail and look aft. From the cabin or the bulk of the balcony area, you can only see the ocean. You can look directly down at the water from the long side of the balcony.

I did just measure the cabin. Approximate sizes are:

1). Cabin door direct to back wall - 13 feet

2). Cabin width - about 8 feet 4 inches (100 inches)

3). Balcony door area - 16 inches to outer lip and 67 inches wide

4). Balcony width - about 8 feet 4 inches

5). Balcony long side - 16 feet

6). Balcony shirt side - almost 11 feet

7). Bathroom - 53 inches deep by 62 inches wide with one corner angled for door.

8) Bed is 55 inches wide and 75 inches long and is square on the end.

The cabin is not completely a rectangle. Each cabin door is recessed about 28 inches from the edge of the hallway. The back of the bathroom is recessed into the 28 inch areaon one side of the door, so it doesn't overwhelm the visual of the room. Doors open out instead of in, which is really good.

On entry to the cabin the side of the bathroom is only 23 inches before the bathroom door angle starts going out to 41 inches.

These pictures tell it all. The only thing missing is the " obstructed " view, which can be seen on the Jan 23 live post - I think day 2. Post 268 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2154636&page=14

What you have to understand is that in order to enjoy your obstructed view, you must go 11 feet out to the closest balcony rail and look aft. From the cabin or the bulk of the balcony area, you can only see the ocean. You can look directly down at the water from the long side of the balcony.

7). Bathroom - 53 inches deep by 62 inches wide with one corner angled for door.

The cabin is not completely a rectangle. Each cabin door is recessed about 28 inches from the edge of the hallway. The back of the bathroom is recessed into the 28 inch areaon one side of the door, so it doesn't overwhelm the visual of the room. Doors open out instead of in, which is really good.

On entry to the cabin the side of the bathroom is only 23 inches before the bathroom door angle starts going out to 41 inches.

Thank you very much - I think I will be OK for 10 days, saving around$1000 over least expensive regular balcony cabin. I liked to have a cabin to myself and to have a balcony.

Hi All

I was in Cabin 6648 on the Jan 11 sailing. As Carol says and as I suspected the balcony on that particular cabin is actually larger than the actual cabin. I didn't measure it...Thanks Carol! :D

I have booked 7648 on Anthem for the 12 Night Western next March. I loved the balcony and spent a lot of time there. Almost slept out there one night. The stars were Awesome as were the sunsets on the way down and the sunrises on the way back.

Denise

I was in 7248 in December. The balcony is huge, i.e. very deep, and is definitely not obstructed. The room is not large, about the size of an interior on the Majesty. It has a single full size bed as compared to twins pushed together which means no crack in the middle. The bed is a little shorter than those in other cabins but was fine for me at 5-11. There is a single closet on one side of the bed and a cabinet with drawers and shelves on the other side. There are also two storage compartments above the headboard of the bed. I found the storage to be fine for me but then I pack light. The bathroom is full size, meaning that it is the same as in other standard cabins. The vanity area is very small with a chair that looks more like an ottoman than a real chair. There is no table, I sometimes would bring the table in from the balcony to use inside the cabin. For an idea of the size of the cabin if I got out of the bed on the right side it was one step to the bathroom (that can be a good thing at times) and out the left side it was two steps to the balcony. I would book that cabin again in a heartbeat.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been researching the single studios on the Quantum Class cabins, and wanted to get a read on the best choice if you're looking at these. Would you recommend xx48 as the best choice? From the deck plan, it looked like it had a larger balcony. If you were to pick another cruise with this cabin type, is this the one you'd choose again?

Carol, I see you're the expert on sailing out of Cape Liberty. I am cruising out to Cape Liberty in June (Liberty on June 18) so I've been valuing your advice! Do you travel solo often? I've always traveled in a group but with my own cabin, but am also considering trying a solo cruise. I'm not interested in a "singles" experience, just an opportunity to meet people to socialize with, as a nice balance to alone time.

Thanks for the pictures and info!

Skylermom / Paula

the xx48 balconies are huge! I would absolutely choose one again

Deb, thank you for confirming. I was thinking that would be the best choice, but was wondering if there was a "gotcha".

Glad you enjoyed it!

Skylermom / Paula

Deb, thank you for confirming. I was thinking that would be the best choice, but was wondering if there was a "gotcha".

Glad you enjoyed it!

Skylermom / Paula

I will say 7648 could be noisy. not from the hallway traffic or the elevators. That 'phantom noise" others have posted about. I used a white noise app on my phone to sleep several nights.

Hi,

I've been researching the single studios on the Quantum Class cabins, and wanted to get a read on the best choice if you're looking at these. Would you recommend xx48 as the best choice? From the deck plan, it looked like it had a larger balcony. If you were to pick another cruise with this cabin type, is this the one you'd choose again?

Carol, I see you're the expert on sailing out of Cape Liberty. I am cruising out to Cape Liberty in June (Liberty on June 18) so I've been valuing your advice! Do you travel solo often? I've always traveled in a group but with my own cabin, but am also considering trying a solo cruise. I'm not interested in a "singles" experience, just an opportunity to meet people to socialize with, as a nice balance to alone time.

Thanks for the pictures and info!

Skylermom / Paula

I had 6648 and didn't notice any unusual noise. But I like to sleep with the TV on or a video streaming on my iPad, so my problem is always lack of background noise. I have booked 7648 on Anthem in Oct 2016.

Paula,

I used to cruise the Caribbean in the winter with my elderly mother before she passed away. Cruising was a wonderful vacation for her and she looked forward to it each year. When we switched to the Explorer I met a lot of people through CC. After Mom died, I started cruising solo and met even more folks. DH says he doesn't like to cruise, but he is considering a port intensive B2B cruise I have booked from San Juan next year. If he doesn't go, I will be solo in two aft balconies. In 2013-14 I had a chance to do three Transatlantics and they were wonderful - lots of solos and overall lots of friendly people. On one of them we had a solo dining table for 12!

I don't run into the singles scene much because I'm not looking for it. I do make an effort to sign up for private excursions. Longer cruises tend to be better for meeting people as well as having access to the lounges.

I had 6648 and didn't notice any unusual noise. But I like to sleep with the TV on or a video streaming on my iPad, so my problem is always lack of background noise. I have booked 7648 on Anthem in Oct 2016.

Paula,

I used to cruise the Caribbean in the winter with my elderly mother before she passed away. Cruising was a wonderful vacation for her and she looked forward to it each year. When we switched to the Explorer I met a lot of people through CC. After Mom died, I started cruising solo and met even more folks. DH says he doesn't like to cruise, but he is considering a port intensive B2B cruise I have booked from San Juan next year. If he doesn't go, I will be solo in two aft balconies. In 2013-14 I had a chance to do three Transatlantics and they were wonderful - lots of solos and overall lots of friendly people. On one of them we had a solo dining table for 12!

I don't run into the singles scene much because I'm not looking for it. I do make an effort to sign up for private excursions. Longer cruises tend to be better for meeting people as well as having access to the lounges.

I'm glad to know that solo cruising works for you. I'm sorry your Mom passed, and I'm sure you created some wonderful memories together. I'm single in real life, and plan to stay that way by choice. ;) I like the studio cabins too since they offer a more reasonable pricing option - if I want to bring my mom with me, we each can have a cabin without breaking the bank. (I prefer to stay in my own cabin). Do you know if the balcony partitions between cabins on the Quantum/Anthem can be opened in case I'm next door to another member of my party? I plan to do that when we're on the Liberty in June - I'm next door to Mom & Dad (OV balcony cabins) and it will be nice to have that shared space with them.

I don't mind noise either and also sleep with background sound (usually something like satellite radio or a podcast), and once asleep, I'm a sound sleeper.

I'm from Massachusetts too - maybe some day we'll be on the same roll call!

Skylermom / Paula

Edited by skylermom

I will say 7648 could be noisy. not from the hallway traffic or the elevators. That 'phantom noise" others have posted about. I used a white noise app on my phone to sleep several nights.

I have been in cabin 7648 on the Quantum twice so far and haven't heard any noise. I liked it so much I booked the same cabin for a B2B Anthem in 2016.

The balcony is wonderful: the back half is always shady and the front half can be very sunny or just bright depending on the sun's position.

Interesting. I had days and nights that were perfect. and others that were so noisy I would hve never been able to sleep without the white noise app. The one night before I remembered I had it was really bad.

the xx48 balconies are huge! I would absolutely choose one again

So would I. I had 6648 on Quantum in January. I usually sleep with tv on so some noise is ok for me. Didn't have much in that cabin. The balcony was huge as 138East mentioned. I booked 7648 on Anthem next march but recently upgraded to an obstructed balcony cabin. I do have a XX48 SB on Anthem in October 2016 though.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I initially booked 6648 on Quantum due to the bigger balcony size, but just downgraded today to interior guarantee when it became even cheaper for solo than this SB cabin I booked more than a year ago.

Any other cabin except SB or SI is usually double priced for solos due to single supplement, but this new interior guarantee option (that was not there before) seemed to did away with the single supplement.

I am more after the double C&A points for solos as of the moment to get to Diamond from Emerald within the year... and the one major drawback for SB for C&A members on a points run is it will only earn single points per night.

No issue about giving up 6648 this year as I have booked 7248 next year with Ovation for another opportunity to try the larger hump balcony, when points will no longer matter much since I've already attained Diamond by next year.

Edited by roquejo

• 1 month later...
I initially booked 6648 on Quantum due to the bigger balcony size, but just downgraded today to interior guarantee when it became even cheaper for solo than this SB cabin I booked more than a year ago.

Any other cabin except SB or SI is usually double priced for solos due to single supplement, but this new interior guarantee option (that was not there before) seemed to did away with the single supplement.

I am more after the double C&A points for solos as of the moment to get to Diamond from Emerald within the year... and the one major drawback for SB for C&A members on a points run is it will only earn single points per night.

No issue about giving up 6648 this year as I have booked 7248 next year with Ovation for another opportunity to try the larger hump balcony, when points will no longer matter much since I've already attained Diamond by next year.

Yes that is a drawback to the SB cabins. Another is that they also cut the C&A balcony discount in half as well. I guess a third would be no sitting area or sofa and less storage. But I loved it and appreciate that they have single cabins with at least lower single supplements.

Denise

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this up because I have some other SB questions I'm hoping you can all hep me with.

What is above the 6248 room on the anthem? It looks like a main area so I am curious if there is noise from above. I usually try to book cabins that have cabins above and below, but this was the only SB available on my cruise this coming summer.

Are their hair dryers and if so, is there some where in the cabin where you can dry your hair? I usually do it at the table in other cabins.

I'm bumping this up because I have some other SB questions I'm hoping you can all hep me with.

What is above the 6248 room on the anthem? It looks like a main area so I am curious if there is noise from above. I usually try to book cabins that have cabins above and below, but this was the only SB available on my cruise this coming summer.

Are their hair dryers and if so, is there some where in the cabin where you can dry your hair? I usually do it at the table in other cabins.

There is a cabin directly above this, as I'm booked in 7248.

there are cabins for at least several floors directly above 6248. The balcony is amazing and yes there will be a hairdryer. I used it at the mirror by the balcony door

Hi All

I was in Cabin 6648 on the Jan 11 sailing. As Carol says and as I suspected the balcony on that particular cabin is actually larger than the actual cabin. I didn't measure it...Thanks Carol! :D

I have booked 7648 on Anthem for the 12 Night Western next March. I loved the balcony and spent a lot of time there. Almost slept out there one night. The stars were Awesome as were the sunsets on the way down and the sunrises on the way back.

Denise

I'd love to see pictures of/from 7648! We have that balcony booked for our June/July Anthem cruise.

Thank you in advance!