Viking Nuremberg WWII Excursion

jnew55

We have booked Viking's Romantic Danube and want to maximize our time in Nuremberg. We are planning to take the optional WWII excursion. For those who have been on that excursion, did you also spend any time in Old Town and the Castle?

We have booked Viking's Romantic Danube and want to maximize our time in Nuremberg. We are planning to take the optional WWII excursion. For those who have been on that excursion, did you also spend any time in Old Town and the Castle?

Yes we did and you can read about the cruise in my review here...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/28/solent-richard-catches-a-viking-maiden/

8856277920_75ae90ef22_z.jpg

Meanwhile I also wrote a review that covered the WWII excursion which we took and couldn't recommend it highly enough...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/07/11/one-way-to-do-nuremberg/

The Tiergärtnertor Square in the Old Town area...

TiergartnertorSquareNuremburgcopySolentRichard_zps291a14c4.jpg

Which way are you going? Doesn't really matter ..... we extended our RD a couple of days on either side. We ended in Nurem' With two extra days in Nurem' we still didn't come close to seeing everything we wanted to see. I'd worry that the Viking excursion will rush you thru too much with too little time. We spent over half a day in the Documentation Center alone .... we really got our money's worth out of a 'city card' here ... for the transportation alone!

We begin our cruise in Nuremberg. Which brings up another question! For past cruisers who began their Viking cruise in Nuremberg, does Viking provide shuttles into town on boarding day?

Cannot answer about the in town time as we were being forced into a low water ship switch that day, but I will say the WWII tour was one of the best we have taken . If you have any interest in the war or the history of that period do not miss it.