Beer off ship to Mahogany Bay?

jeffdal

NO!

Now that said, you might be able to slip some unopened bottles into a small collapsible cooler bag or even in your backpack, wrapped in a towel, but port authorities do check bags from time to time for contraband.

But beer is Roatan isn't that expensive. And might even be cheaper than buying it on the ship, especially if you can get your guide or taxi driver to take you to a local store. Honduran beer has 4 different types. All are in many ways German style beers as Germans developed the brewing industry in Honduras. Salva Vida, is a lager, similar to Bud or Miller; Port Royal is a pilsner, like Becks; Imperial is a dark lager, think Dos Equis; and Berena is Hondura's poor answer to Corona or Sol.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 2 months later...

I believe there are duty free liquor stores at the port. I'm looking at booking one of the cabanas on Mahogany Bay for 4 of us as a relaxing day squeezed in between a couple excursion extensive ports.

I was wondering the chances of buying a bottle of wine or a bottle of liquor in Roatan and taking with us into the cabana. I looked on their website and didn't see anything stating "no outside" drinks or anything. i'm sure the prices aren't too bad for something different, but did read that it is supplied by Fat Tuesdays?

There are a few restaurants in Mahogany Bay, but they are all Fat Tuesday:confused: It is likely just a contractual thing with CCL. Frozen drinks were in the $8-$14 range and beer was essentially the same price as on the ship.

In Cozumel (the same Dufry shops) we had to check the liquor before we could walk to the rest of the port. I don't know if it was mandatory or an offer, but we did it because we didn't need it in port. If I were guessing (which is all I'm doing) they want to keep duty free liquor out of your hands so you have to purchase in port.

The Fat Tuesday's have a contract with CCL so it would be beneficial for both groups to keep it out of your hands. Mahogany Bay is a CCL entity from dock to gate just like the piers in Cozumel are for CCL and Royal. They won't make it easy for you to get away with much. BUT, back to the original question, if you are staying in Mahogany, you won't be saving anything by carrying it off.

---And after posting all this I see it was a revival of an old thread..---

Edited by jdcml