First cruise since being diagnosed diabetic.

Cathalain

I haven't been on a cruise or flown in a plane since being diagnosed. Can anyone tell me how much grief they're going to give me while going through security? I have to take daily insulin, so I need to bring pen needles and lancets, all sharp things that the TSA really considers "no-nos".

Should I pack them in my luggage or in a carry-on? For that matter, I have a little case that I keep lancets in, "just in case". Will I need to pack that in my luggage or can I keep that in my purse where I usually do?

Sorry for the questions - I haven't been on a plane in 3 years and I really don't know what to expect. Cruise is in 40 days. Nervous.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't been on a cruise or flown in a plane since being diagnosed. Can anyone tell me how much grief they're going to give me while going through security? I have to take daily insulin, so I need to bring pen needles and lancets, all sharp things that the TSA really considers "no-nos".

Should I pack them in my luggage or in a carry-on? For that matter, I have a little case that I keep lancets in, "just in case". Will I need to pack that in my luggage or can I keep that in my purse where I usually do?

Sorry for the questions - I haven't been on a plane in 3 years and I really don't know what to expect. Cruise is in 40 days. Nervous.

Thanks in advance!

1 Get a letter from your Doctor stating that you are diabetic and require that medicine. Make sure he notes that can only use inject-able insulin.

2 Carry a copy of your prescription with you .

3 Carry your meds in an insulate container

4 Request a supervisor to check your paperwork and clear the meds thru security.

Always carry your medication and supplies in your carry on bag. If your baggage is delayed then you will have it. I traveled once with a woman who used insulin and packed it all in her checked luggage which was delayed a day in arrival. That was a nightmare. Insulin, syringes and testing supplies are fine to carry onboard the plane. You might need them while in flight!

Good advice above as to getting a doctor's letter and carrying meds in original containers. That can give you a sense of security although I've never had a problem taking my testing supplies, including lancets, on board the plane. They don't even bat an eye to it. Ive never been asked for a doctor's letter nor have I needed the help of a supervisor.

Deb

Considering that over 8% of the American population has diabetes, I'm sure that TSA agents see these medications and supplies all the time. Agree with the posts above -- you should bring everything you need in your carryon.

Please carry insulin and supplies with you! My doctor has a form letter that has all the information needed incuding that I need to have snacks with me. I carry it in the envelope with my name and address on it. Just ask, I'm sure they will have something suitable. I use a Frio pak to carry insulin. I take a large plastic bag and activate the gel after passing through security. Then I just throw away the bag with the water in it.

Barb

Thank you for all the responses! I didn't even think about bringing snacks with me - great idea, I'll make some plans to do that.

I have the insulin pens; once I take one out of the refrigerator, I don't need to put it back in, which is really convenient. One pen (I take Levemir) lasts about a week, though I'm going to bring an extra one just in case; I may bring a Novolog pen as well (I only take that in a emergency, rare).

I actually see my endocrinologist 5 days before we sail, so I'll make sure to get a note at that time. Good idea about carrying prescription copies, as well.

Is there usually any issue with food on a cruise? I have a good idea of what I can eat and what I should avoid, but are there any specialized menus (you know how they mark the Vitality items on RCI, that kind of thing)? I'm planning on using discretion... I was only diagnosed in September, so this is VERY new to me.

Thanks again for the helpful information. :)

I always carry my insulin pens with me in a carry on along with my extra insulin and pills. I have a letter from my doctor but have never been asked for it. I always tell security that I have diabetic supplies in my carry on and have never been questioned.

On the ships menues feature healthy choices, no sugar desserts and no sugar ice cream. The iced tea is often sugar free. Remember to ask your room steward for a sharps container for your needle tips and test strips.

Bon Voyage

-Smart 4-2

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance!

I've also been diagnosed a T/2 diabetic (Sept 2012) but so far, just pills/Metformin and was told IF I continue with the usual foods watch ( I immediately quit all starches, and of course all sweets) intake I MAY be able to avoid insulin. Of course this can make crusin' a littleeeeeee boring. :( But, that's life. I told the DW I MIGHT split something with her on our 3-16 (Our anniversary cruise). I'm so glad to find this thread. I wish the cruise lines had a devoted slant to people who suffer from this problem.

Be careful with the sugar free desserts. While they don't contain sugar, which is just one form of carbohydrate, they often are full of carbs and generally have a high sugar alcohol content. The sugar alcohols can cause a lot of mayhem with the digestive system. I have found that, in general, the real whole food is better for me than any of the modified or "enhanced" items. I just watch the portion size.

When cruising I occasionally allow myself a "treat" but then work it off with some additional excersize. There are so many good food choices on a cruise that it need not be boring. Enjoy the cruise and relax!

Debbie

Don't forget that as a diabetic, you are allowed to bring a bottle of drinking water through the TSA check. You put it on the belt or hand it to them, tell them you are diabetic (otherwise they will take it). They will take the bottle and swab it down, then give it back to you.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance!

Have flown for 30 some years,and never had a problem.I have a very old

note from the doctor that I always take just in case,but have never been

questioned.The one thing we do is take a secondary tester,and extra

supplies.We've never had a problem,but still take extra just in case.

Don't be worried just have a great time.

Archived