Australian Visa

I am looking for a site to buy my Aussie Visa that's legit.
And given that the site posted by Illyria is as legitimate as you can get (because it's the Australian government's own website), it really isn't worth your time or energy even thinking about doing it any other way.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your quick response.

Some one on CC Board suggested following site .

https://easyeta.com/ $9.95 USD

Is this site legitimate?

I can only repeat what I said earlier about the site that Illyria posted (ie https://www.eta.immi.gov.au):-
And given that the site posted by Illyria is as legitimate as you can get (because it's the Australian government's own website), it really isn't worth your time or energy even thinking about doing it any other way.
Is it really so important for you to save $9 that you'd use another site that you don't know anything about (and would only, at best, get some anonymous comments about from this Internet forum)?

Is this site legitimate?

Thanks.

Hema

To put what Globaliser said in a little different light, the official Australian government site is saying its 20 AUD. Someone else selling for half the official price seems a little suspicious to me.

Princess Cruise Lines is also charging 20 AUD.

To put what Globaliser said in a little different light, the official Australian government site is saying its 20 AUD. Someone else selling for half the official price seems a little suspicious to me.
To add a bit more detail to this:

It is not impossible for another legitimate site to offer ETAs for less than AUD 20. This is because the charge for the ETA itself is zero. A travel agent who's prepared to do this for you could, in theory, do it for you for zero cost.

The AUD 20 charge is the service fee for getting the ETA for you. As you can imagine, many agents (including cruise lines) will not want to do the work for free, because it does involve some work. Of course, an agent does not have to charge as much as AUD 20 if it doesn't want to.

So the other site might be legitimately doing this for USD 10. But how do you know it's a legitimate site? And if you don't know who operates the site, would you trust it with a whole pile of sensitive personal information, including your passport details? How much time and effort are you prepared to spend investigating whether it's legitimate and safe? Why not just pay the AUD 20 to the Australian government's site, which is bound to be legitimate?

I'm not saying that Kharvavad's falls into this description, but in some of the other discussions that I see about this issue, I am frankly amazed at how much time and energy is spent, and how much risk is incurred, by some people who seem obsessed with the need to save ten bucks.

It is not impossible for another legitimate site to offer ETAs for less than AUD 20. This is because the charge for the ETA itself is zero. A travel agent who's prepared to do this for you could, in theory, do it for you for zero cost.

Agree with this. I'd heard of a legitimate site, as well as another agent, through which you could get it for less.

I have no idea of the status of the site above however.

Is this site legitimate?

Thanks.

Hema

We are from the USA and we used EasyETA for our Australian Visa last year without any problems.

We plan to use it again when we visit Australia again next year.

Disclaimer: I wholeheartedly recommend you use the official Australia website for VISAs. Don't skimp! Do it right! Etc.!

That said, I used EasyETA for my mom's and my great aunt's visas when they came to visit last year. They had absolutely no problems. I did check them out, the only bad thing anyone would say was "egads, why buy from a shady place when it's not much more to buy direct?!", no one said they were actually scammed (to the contrary, lots of people said everything went fine).

The AUD 20 charge is the service fee for getting the ETA for you. As you can imagine, many agents (including cruise lines) will not want to do the work for free, because it does involve some work. Of course, an agent does not have to charge as much as AUD 20 if it doesn't want to.

So the other site might be legitimately doing this for USD 10. But how do you know it's a legitimate site? And if you don't know who operates the site, would you trust it with a whole pile of sensitive personal information, including your passport details? How much time and effort are you prepared to spend investigating whether it's legitimate and safe? Why not just pay the AUD 20 to the Australian government's site, which is bound to be legitimate?

I'm not saying that Kharvavad's falls into this description, but in some of the other discussions that I see about this issue, I am frankly amazed at how much time and energy is spent, and how much risk is incurred, by some people who seem obsessed with the need to save ten bucks.

And its less than a $10 USD difference when taking into account exchange rates :p

Our up-coming Dawn Princess Northern Australia Explorer Cruise Sydney/Perth booking confirmation includes Visa Fees of $20 pp. So .... is there something else we need? Are these Visas through Princess electronically applied to our US Passports after final payment? Do we receive a hardcopy and/or receipt of the Visa purchase for our airline check-in? How does all this work? On a previous RCCL AUS/NZ cruise we purchased our Visas on-line - so the Princess process is a bit different. Called Princess - but (they) were not sure. Any help appreciated from you guys "In-The Know". FJG

And its less than a $10 USD difference when taking into account exchange rates :p

Hello Everyone,

I took everyone's advice and I've already got my Australian Visa thru the AU government site.

So now I don't have to worry any more.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Just curious...is the visa that Princess gets for you for an Australia/NZ cruise good for a post cruise stay in Sydney? How does that work? We'll arrive pre cruise one day prior, but want to stay for a week or so in Australia post cruise.

Our up-coming Dawn Princess Northern Australia Explorer Cruise Sydney/Perth booking confirmation includes Visa Fees of $20 pp. So .... is there something else we need? Are these Visas through Princess electronically applied to our US Passports after final payment? Do we receive a hardcopy and/or receipt of the Visa purchase for our airline check-in? How does all this work? On a previous RCCL AUS/NZ cruise we purchased our Visas on-line - so the Princess process is a bit different. Called Princess - but (they) were not sure. Any help appreciated from you guys "In-The Know". FJG

Just curious...is the visa that Princess gets for you for an Australia/NZ cruise good for a post cruise stay in Sydney? How does that work? We'll arrive pre cruise one day prior, but want to stay for a week or so in Australia post cruise.
If it's an Electronic Travel Authority, which I expect it is, then it permits any number of entries to Australia at any time until its expiry (or the expiry of your passport, if earlier), and on each entry you can stay in Australia for up to three months.

So assuming that your ETA is issued less than a year before the end of your cruise, so that it's still valid on that date, you should be fine for both of the entries to Australia that you're planning.

In any case, realistically your ETA would need still to be valid on that date because even if you weren't staying in Australia, you'd still need to enter Australia in order to get to the airport to fly out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello - Yes...as I understand it (this) Princess passport applied ETA is valid for 90 days. We too plan SYD pre/PER post stays - so all should be good.

BTW - Is bconley351 Lorraine & Bill from the August 2011 Crown Princess B.I. cruise? Really was a great time & lots of fun private group tours. Fred

That's us...in fact we just got back from a BI cruise on Sunday. We had friends who had never done the itinerary so I bit the bullet and planned 5 excursions. I had spreadsheets and photo meet & greets to keep everyone straight. Some days I was more confused than others. But we had great weather!

Our Australia/NZ isn't until 01/16, but started checking out cc for ideas as soon as we got home. We booked while on the Ruby.

We saw Craig and Barbara (wine countrycruiser) on the Royal last October.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello - Yes...as I understand it (this) Princess passport applied ETA is valid for 90 days. We too plan SYD pre/PER post stays - so all should be good.

BTW - Is bconley351 Lorraine & Bill from the August 2011 Crown Princess B.I. cruise? Really was a great time & lots of fun private group tours. Fred