Why do you use Speciality Dining Rooms?

babs135

I'm curious as to why people use the Speciality Dining Rooms? Having paid for 3 meals a day, plus snacks 24 hours a day, why would you then spend more money to dine elsewhere? I can understand the logic if you are on a cruise of 14 days or more, but a short cruise.......?

Some folk will dine in a speciality restaurant for a special occasion, others might do the rounds of them & never use the included options. I suspect some also like the pampered service, though (just a personal opinion) I find it all a bit OTT, fussy & intrusive. But each to their own.

To be fair, prices in the premium-pay restaurants seem to be lower than you'd pay ashore, reflecting the fact that you've already pad for the included options that you'll not be using.

What does concern me is that it will finish up as the thin end of the wedge. The lowering of standards of included food, as well as reducing costs, will boost the bookings at premium-pay restaurants.

I've never sailed them, but NCL are ahead of the field in their range of premium-pay restaurants, and their included dining seems to attract poorer reviews than other cruise lines.

Mebbe in a few years included dining will be just burgers or tacos :eek:

JB :)

We don't always use the specialty dining venues since the main dining room with RCCL is special in itself, but we do like to experience a even finer dining experience, usually from Chops Grill or Giovanni's Table. Both are wonderful experiences with excellent personalized service. We usually do limit to one specialty dining per cruise. Our best one was on Allure of the Seas at the Chops Grill. They really went out of there way to "WOW" us and allowed me to compare wines by tasting before choosing what to have with dinner. :)

I'm curious as to why people use the Speciality Dining Rooms? Having paid for 3 meals a day, plus snacks 24 hours a day, why would you then spend more money to dine elsewhere? I can understand the logic if you are on a cruise of 14 days or more, but a short cruise.......?

Some folk will dine in a speciality restaurant for a special occasion, others might do the rounds of them & never use the included options. I suspect some also like the pampered service, though (just a personal opinion) I find it all a bit OTT, fussy & intrusive. But each to their own.

To be fair, prices in the premium-pay restaurants seem to be lower than you'd pay ashore, reflecting the fact that you've already pad for the included options that you'll not be using.

What does concern me is that it will finish up as the thin end of the wedge. The lowering of standards of included food, as well as reducing costs, will boost the bookings at premium-pay restaurants.

I've never sailed them, but NCL are ahead of the field in their range of premium-pay restaurants, and their included dining seems to attract poorer reviews than other cruise lines.

Mebbe in a few years included dining will be just burgers or tacos :eek:

JB :)

I so agree with your thinking about the "thin edge of the wedge" I believe in the coming years the only "free" dining will be in the lido and the Main dining rooms on the ships will be replaced with all speciality dining rooms. I don't know about NCL, but the dining on HAL has deffinatly been lowered since the speciality dining has come ships.

I eat in specialty restaurants to get away from the chaos of the main dining room. It's more about atmosphere than the food to me.

As for NCSmell, if I do ever sail them again, I would eat in the specialty restaurants because because their MDR service and food quality is the bottom of the cruising barrel.

We don't use them at all, unless provided free by TA or cruise line. In our many cruises - over 40 - we have only eaten in a specialty restaurant, both on the same cruise, and both provided free. This was on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We thought the Pinnacle Grill was overrated, but found Tamarind interesting. EM

because I can, want to and can afford to do so.

why do I choose to eat out at a restaurant at home when I can cook my own meal in my underwear?

The logic of "paid for three meals a day already" is fallible.

Lots of people skip breakfast, or only eat a danish and a cup of coffee. still more skip lunch as they are in port having fun.

yes the MDR for is for the most part very good to excellent. doesn't mean that I don't want to celebrate an anniversary or birthday with a little more intimacy, or that I don't feel no attraction towards the main entrees on a particular night.

I find that the specialty food is much better than the MD. Dinner for 2 is cooked for 2 at the time. Very little is prepared ahead for 2,000. Protein is better quality. Not cooked and held for who every wants it. Steak cooked to order the way I like it, Fish not overdone and dry, Pork Chops done correctly. I do realize that Prime Rib is pre prepared but is always good. Harry

Most Specialty restaurants have a different menu that you will find in the MDR

Our cruise line of choice is no extra charge but you have 1 reservation in each of the specialties then you can ask if there are opening if you want to go again

We paid for 1 place on our recent HAL cruise as we were tired of the Lido & we had late sitting in the MDR which is too late for us to eat a big meal

It is a personal choice ..

The money is not an issue with us. We dine there for what we consider a much better meal than the MDR.:)

We take a cruise to treat ourselves. We dine in specialty restaurants on every cruise for the same reason - to treat ourselves. We go on cruise vacations because they are unique from our day to day lives at home. We would never consider spending all the money to take a cruise and then taking the "budget" approach while on it.

People who use the excuse that "I have already paid to dine in the MDR" are shortchanging themselves. If they were really concerned about not spending additional money when they have already paid for something, then why do they take a cruise in the first place? They are paying for the home they live in while they are away on the cruise, whether it be rent, a mortgage, or property taxes and insurance. So, using the "already paid" logic, they should never spend even a night away from home because they have already paid for that night in their home.

Besides, each time they dine away from the MDR, they are losing less than $5. The typical amount of money the cruise lines spend on food and preparation - breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks - amounts to less that $15 per person per day for all that they have "already paid" to eat.

Edited by fortinweb

I will pay for a specialty restaurant because I remember when the food and service in the MDR were of that standard.

And with the discounts on fares today, the cost of your cabin plus eating in the specialty restaurants several--or even most--nights is the same or less than just your base cruise fare a dozen (or fewer) years ago. Many lines also give discounts for multiple bookings or offer a flat rate to go specialty every night; I echo the post above that the only way to take an NCL cruise is with their unlimited dining package.

So rather than go to the MDR and commiserate with one's tablemates about all the "cuts" in dining, it is easier--and cost-effective--to switch rather than fight it.

Because it is a nice upgrade from the MDR. You can also ask, why would someone get a balcony or suite cabin when an inside cabin takes you to the same place?

I've only eaten in the specialty rooms a few times. I never honestly found the food quality to be any better than in the MDR. But, I was curious about the offerings, so I tried a few. No desire to eat at the "meat houses" - I don't eat red meat. I've tried a couple Italian places, but they were still rather mediocre and nothing special, no better than Olive Garden. Princess has a Creole restaurant on the Island Princess that had some interesting items, but I wouldn't eat there often, and rarely got an entree (again mostly meat), just appies, seafood gumbo and dessert. I wouldn't do sushi, since I have no idea of just how "fresh" and what quality fish they use (I'm very picky about where I get my sushi AND raw oysters). As always, people's opinions of the quality of the food and the environment play a role in whether or not someone feels it is "worth" the extra fee. Also, what someone considers "fine dining" will color their opinion (e.g. - Olive Garden is NOT fine dining). I'll save my "specialty dining" money for some good local food in port!!!

Edited by slidergirl

I've only eaten in the specialty rooms a few times. I never honestly found the food quality to be any better than in the MDR. But, I was curious about the offerings, so I tried a few. No desire to eat at the "meat houses" - I don't eat red meat. I've tried a couple Italian places, but they were still rather mediocre and nothing special, no better than Olive Garden. Princess has a Creole restaurant on the Island Princess that had some interesting items, but I wouldn't eat there often, and rarely got an entree (again mostly meat), just appies, seafood gumbo and dessert. I wouldn't do sushi, since I have no idea of just how "fresh" and what quality fish they use (I'm very picky about where I get my sushi AND raw oysters). As always, people's opinions of the quality of the food and the environment play a role in whether or not someone feels it is "worth" the extra fee. Also, what someone considers "fine dining" will color their opinion (e.g. - Olive Garden is NOT fine dining). I'll save my "specialty dining" money for some good local food in port!!!

I agree with you. Olive garden is not fine dining, but to some people it is. Its better then the ragu they serve at home.

I agree with you. Olive garden is not fine dining, but to some people it is. Its better then the ragu they serve at home.

Yep. I do chuckle frequently on CC when people mention "MDR" and "specialty" in the same breath as "fine dining." I can't help it. I was raised in a small town with my family of limited means. But, we always did one meal a year in someplace really special and it stuck with me. I research places to eat when I travel. I'll put aside some money for a meal at a truly memorable restaurant. If they have lunch, I'll do it to save some. I'm not a foodie, but I do love to "eat local" at both ends of the spectrum, dining-wise. I always wanted to eat once at a Michelin-starred restaurant to find out what it was like. But, I've also had some mom-and-pop places where, while it wasn't white tablecloth, the food was as fine as you would want.

Specialty restaurants on ships merely make more money for the ship when people tire of the MDR...

Yep. I do chuckle frequently on CC when people mention "MDR" and "specialty" in the same breath as "fine dining." I can't help it. I was raised in a small town with my family of limited means. But, we always did one meal a year in someplace really special and it stuck with me. I research places to eat when I travel. I'll put aside some money for a meal at a truly memorable restaurant. If they have lunch, I'll do it to save some. I'm not a foodie, but I do love to "eat local" at both ends of the spectrum, dining-wise. I always wanted to eat once at a Michelin-starred restaurant to find out what it was like. But, I've also had some mom-and-pop places where, while it wasn't white tablecloth, the food was as fine as you would want.

Specialty restaurants on ships merely make more money for the ship when people tire of the MDR...

It depends on the cruise line how good the specialties are. On my two favorites, the MDR is quite good, and the specialties are great. I have had some of the best meals I have ever had on board these cruise lines.

As with everything else, not all cruise lines do somethings as well as others.

I am curious as to why people go on cruises?

Having already paid your rent or house payment, your utilities at home, a refrigerator and pantry full of food, why would you then spend more money to go on a cruise elsewhere?

I can understand the logic if you are on a cruise of 14 days or more, but a short cruise......?

Now if you can answer my question, you will also have answered your own question.

Not quite right.

Most specialty restaurants on ships not only make less money for the company, they actually lose more money everytime we serve another meal.

Just the base cost of building a specialty restaurant on a ship guarantees that they will never make a profit. The specialty restaurants on an NCL ship average US$5 million each to build.

If you forget the cost of the food ingredients (which are generally much higher than the items in the dining room), how many extra charge dinners will they need to sell (at say $25 each) to cover the $5 million investment? Answer: 200,000.

You may notice that most of the specialty restaurants are rather small, seating only 100 or so at a time. If they were profitable, we would build them much larger. The useful life of the ship will not be long enough to even pay back the cost of building the restaurants - much less the cost of the food and extra staff to operate them.

A specialty restaurant on a ship is just another loss leader (like libraries, internet cafes, child centers, card rooms, rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, surf-riders, etc) to convince a wider range of humanity that a cruise is for them.

Edited by BruceMuzz

I am curious as to why people go on cruises?

Having already paid your rent or house payment, your utilities at home, a refrigerator and pantry full of food, why would you then spend more money to go on a cruise elsewhere?

I can understand the logic if you are on a cruise of 14 days or more, but a short cruise......?

Now if you can answer my question, you will also have answered your own question.

I wish CC would install a 'like' button!

We live in a small city and fine dining opportunities are mostly non existent.

We cruise on Holland America and look forward to our specialty dining experiences as part of the overall cruise enjoyment. We tend to take longer cruises and eat in a specialty restaurant every few days.

We are always assured of a table for two away from the hustle and bustle of the MDR, the food is superior, the service is impeccable and unrushed and we get to dress up a bit -------what's not to like?

I eat in specialty restaurants to get away from the chaos of the main dining room. It's more about atmosphere than the food to me.

I would agree with the above to a point. We dine in a specialty restaurant on formal nights. We do not like the aura of the MDR on those nights. We have no desire to play dress up or to relive our high school proms. On the other hand, you do get a better meal and experience in the specialty restaurants.