Trolley excursion or rent an electric cart

ragin_cajuns

We will be in Key Westfor one of our cruise stops in Nov 2017 and we currently have the Old Town Trolley excursion booked to see the sights but I was reading some posts about renting an electric cart. Thoughts? Pros/Cons of either?

Thanks,

yeah we are mobile. never been there though. we are ok with walking but i don't want to spend half our available time getting from place to place on foot when we could be on the trolley or in an electric cart.

i see the pros of the trolley as getting some info and history from the guide as we drive around. pro of the cart would be we could go where we want and not just where the trolley goes.

Can you do both? Start with the trolley for the narration and general familiarization of the area and then the cart to get from place to place.

OTOH, I would worry a little about the fuss of finding a place to park the cart to visit a specific area as well as occasional traffic jams that occur.

Disclaimer: I have been to KW by ship and a land visit. Because of this, I would only walk.

Suggest: Don't miss Hemingway's house, Mel Fishers treasure museum, and Mallory Square.

I don't recommend renting a cart. Everything you want to see is in a small, walkable area. The Trolley can get you around and double has a tour. Cars are hard to park here and you will either pay for parking or spend a lot of time looking for free parking. For a first, quick visit, I think a car is a waste.

We've been to Key West 4 times and we have always rented an electric car. It's the best way to get around and to be able to go where you want to go.

Normally port stops in Key West so utilize your time there wisely and rent an electric car to cruise around

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it's your first time to Key West, I agree with the suggestion that you first do the trolley or conch train tour to see the island and hear some of the history and then just walk around on your own. Plus, you can get a trolley ticket that allows you to ride all day, getting on and off at the various stops around KW. On a prior visit, I rented an electric car and learned that it wasn't always so easy to find parking and also found that we tended to leave the vehicle parked while we walked up and down Duvall and other streets checking out the shops. The only reason to rent an electric car is if you intend to drive all over KW instead of staying in the main tourist and bar/shopping area. I was just there a few weeks ago and easily walked the length of Duval, checking out the various shops along the way.

We came to KW the first time on a ship and took a trolley tour. Now, we come every year for 3 weeks. But, that first trolley tour is what got us hooked on the place - it gave a great overview of the town and its unique vibe. We recommend it for every first time visitor. One thing though - you don't need to book it via the ship. Check on-line, and you'll probably save quite a bit getting tickets on your own. And, when you disembark, you won't be able to miss the folks looking to sell tickets. My guess is that you'll save more than enough to enjoy a couple of drinks in one of the bars in town after your tour.

We came to KW the first time on a ship and took a trolley tour. Now, we come every year for 3 weeks. But, that first trolley tour is what got us hooked on the place - it gave a great overview of the town and its unique vibe. We recommend it for every first time visitor. One thing though - you don't need to book it via the ship. Check on-line, and you'll probably save quite a bit getting tickets on your own. And, when you disembark, you won't be able to miss the folks looking to sell tickets. My guess is that you'll save more than enough to enjoy a couple of drinks in one of the bars in town after your tour.

That is good info was debating if could do it cheaper online rather than through carnival. Will have to check it out now

Sent from my XT1565 using Forums mobile app

We always stay in Upper Duval and there is an OTT stop right around the corner.

If it's your first time, take the trolley tour - gives you a lay of the land, lots of interesting info and if you stay on for the entire loop, it's only about an hour and a half but well worth it. You can even stay on and hop off at the sites that interest you the most.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums