The Bacon "Buttie" Debate

nordski

On another thread, Lottie A threw down the gauntlet re: British vs. Canadian bacon. Much as I value her opinion, particularly on all affairs Montalbano, I must question her expertise in this other field.

The challenge is to find a good source of a bacon "buttie" in Southampton, our port for our next cruise.. The alternative, I suppose, is to find a good one in Liverpool.

The Ports of Call Forum does provide lots of information on Fish and Chip shops in Southampton, but I will readily concede that the British win this one handily.

As a daughter of British parents, one being from Liverpool, if you wander down any little side street and find a traditional, locals "caf" you will (should) find a good bacon butty. There is great debate about buttys. I grew up with my butty on untoasted white bread, a single folded slice, with butter and HP. Baps are also good. Fond memories of the melting butter running down my chin!

We would sometimes have the same, but with sausages. These could be hot or cold. And on occasion, potato ships!

And don't forget the appropriate milky tea to go with.

As a daughter of British parents, one being from Liverpool, if you wander down any little side street and find a traditional, locals "caf" you will (should) find a good bacon butty. There is great debate about buttys. I grew up with my butty on untoasted white bread, a single folded slice, with butter and HP. Baps are also good. Fond memories of the melting butter running down my chin!

We would sometimes have the same, but with sausages. These could be hot or cold. And on occasion, potato ships!

And don't forget the appropriate milky tea to go with.

Still willing to give it a try.

But I'm becoming suspicious. Is this a food that was best first experienced as a young school girl/boy, when arteries and plaque were only topics in biology class?

Speaking of which, a colleague's son is a professor in the Biology Department of the University of Liverpool. Perhaps I will request an impact assessment of said Butties. [emoji1]

Nordski, a true British bacon buttie needs a white bread roll, crispy back bacon, butter and HP brown sauce. Actually probably the best place to get one is a motorway transport caff frequented by lorry drivers. A cup of tea to wash it down is essential.

It probably does clog the arteries....but I'd say it's worth it just once in a while! 😄

Nordski, a true British bacon buttie needs a white bread roll, crispy back bacon, butter and HP brown sauce. Actually probably the best place to get one is a motorway transport caff frequented by lorry drivers. A cup of tea to wash it down is essential.

It probably does clog the arteries....but I'd say it's worth it just once in a while! [emoji1]

And the tea has to be builders tea - so strong you could stand a spoon up in it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am of the tomato ketchup camp for bacon butties (and coffee as I do not like tea or HP sauce).

I also prefer a crusty roll or french bread. The best bacon butties I remember were from a wagon by the side of Bisley ranges - half a french stick with back bacon falling out of the sides for £2 (no help to OP I know).

I prefer a bacon sandwich in good, buttered white bread. I don't mind HP sauce or ketchup, but can eat it without.

I'd have to have a cup of strong, freshly brewed coffee with mine. I don't drink instant coffee or tea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a daunting list of differences. I think, for health reasons, I shall have to stay with Lottie A's suggestion.

Here is a typical Canadian approach to preferred "condiments". You'll note that we allow the bacon to stand on its own merits.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2014/06/25/beer-pairings-for-canadian-bacon

I am of the tomato ketchup camp for bacon butties (and coffee as I do not like tea or HP sauce).

I also prefer a crusty roll or french bread. The best bacon butties I remember were from a wagon by the side of Bisley ranges - half a french stick with back bacon falling out of the sides for £2 (no help to OP I know).

No, it is a help. Tells me how much the British value their "Butty" experience.

Nope, buttys are standard fare. Ordered pretty much daily on Coronation Street in Roy's Rolls!!!

Well, now I'm in damage control.

I mentioned this post to the nearest "Corrie" expert, Ms. Nordski, and now she realizes I haven't been as attentive as needs be concerning life on the Street.

A brief review, and I now am more familiar with all of the food offerings of the various shops. :)

Fortunately, she still supports my crusade.

In Corrie land (around Manchester) you are more likely to ask for a bacon barm rather than a bacon buttie. They are similar though.

As for coffee with a bacon buttie.....well that's just plain WRONG. Has to be tea of the strong Yorkshire variety! 😄

In Corrie land (around Manchester) you are more likely to ask for a bacon barm rather than a bacon buttie. They are similar though.

As for coffee with a bacon buttie.....well that's just plain WRONG. Has to be tea of the strong Yorkshire variety! 😄

Beer beats tea:D - not always for breakfast though (but now I'm retired it could be done...)

I am a Yorkshireman born but cannot stand Yorkshire tea or Yorkshire bacon - go figure:o.

Let's not start the South v North beer debate - it will only confuse things!:evilsmile:

Beer beats tea:D - not always for breakfast though (but now I'm retired it could be done...)

I am a Yorkshireman born but cannot stand Yorkshire tea or Yorkshire bacon - go figure:o.

Let's not start the South v North beer debate - it will only confuse things!:evilsmile:

Yes it will Steve....because some of our colonial cousins think they actually do brew a liquid called beer! Heads for cover......😈 :DLOL.

Yes it will Steve....because some of our colonial cousins think they actually do brew a liquid called beer! Heads for cover......😈 :DLOL.

Naaaah... they are beginning to catch up with their craft beer scene - but - the impression I get is that their arbiters of taste are strength and loads of hops (I guess as a reaction to the p*sswater they have been served up with for years).:rolleyes:

I shall be in the USA in three weeks for the first time and my mission (should I choose to accept it) is to critically appraise the craft beer offerings - it's a hard life but someone has to do it...:cool:

I'm not expecting any decent bacon butties whilst I'm there though...:(

Naaaah... they are beginning to catch up with their craft beer scene - but - the impression I get is that their arbiters of taste are strength and loads of hops (I guess as a reaction to the p*sswater they have been served up with for years).:rolleyes:

I shall be in the USA in three weeks for the first time and my mission (should I choose to accept it) is to critically appraise the craft beer offerings - it's a hard life but someone has to do it...:cool:

I'm not expecting any decent bacon butties whilst I'm there though...:(

Steve, as we seem to have moved onto beer then my American partner recommends you try Sierra Nevada IPA. He thinks it's good beer....and he would probably know! 😄

Sierra is a good IPA, but for a real exemplar of both American craft brewing and the American character [going out on a limb...] I recommend Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. It has tons of hops [so it should be the typical hop-bomb you fear in American IPAs], 9 per cent alcohol [American over the top-ism again] -- and yet it is smooth and balanced so that I am never aware of either of those ingredients [is the limb strong enough to support the statement that it is the John Wayne of beers?]

Sierra is a good IPA, but for a real exemplar of both American craft brewing and the American character [going out on a limb...] I recommend Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. It has tons of hops [so it should be the typical hop-bomb you fear in American IPAs], 9 per cent alcohol [American over the top-ism again] -- and yet it is smooth and balanced so that I am never aware of either of those ingredients [is the limb strong enough to support the statement that it is the John Wayne of beers?]

Ooh - a beer list - keep 'em coming guys and gals!:D