Panama Canal

We are thinking about cruising to the Panama Canal on the April 20, 2016 cruise on the Mariner. We noticed that the ship departs Colon, Panama at midnight. Does that mean that the ship goes through the canal in the middle of the night? I know there's some very knowledgeable person on this board who can answer my question. :)

As I recall (we did this on the Voyager a few years ago), the early departure from Colon is because the ships queue up before entering the canal which is precisely timed. We went through the Gatun locks in the early dawn hours (starting about 7 AM in January according to the photo timestamp) which takes about an hour. The rest of the day, until late afternoon was passing through Gatun Lake and the rest of the locks to the Pacific.

We sailed through the Panama Canal on Mariner last year and began the transit early in the morning, when many of us were up on deck to experience it all. Regent staff were on hand with tea trolleys up on deck, serving hot drinks and so on, which were welcome, I can tell you! We took a break around lunchtime when in the lake and then resumed our "watch" until Trivia time when we went downstairs and watched the last locks from the lounge. It really does take more or less all day to complete the transit.

I just checked on my blog (http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2014/2/1/the-early-morning-show.html) and see we got up at 5.50am...... Brrrr!

As you'll see, we loved every minute. You've got to do this!

Colon is on the Caribbean side and very near the entrance to the first locks but I do think the poster who said it is because the ship has to "queue" for the transit is correct. When we went through we were told that we would enter the first locks at about 0530. (Coming from the Pacific). We were off Panama City around midnight - could see the lights etc - and sat and sat. We went up to the Observation Lounge at about 0545 and it was full. We finally went through the first lock at around 0700.

The Panama canal transit was the most interesting day we have ever spent on a cruise ship. The pre- and post- lectures were outstanding and we learnt a huge amount. Of all the cruises we have done (with the exception of yet another Trans Atlantic) it is the one cruise I would like to do again.

Going through the canal is pretty much an all day affair. You do have to get up early for the first set of locks, but then here is a lot of downtime just waiting around in Gatun Lake. You can go out early for the first set then have breakfast and not miss anything.

Since the ship is stopping for the day in Colon, be sure and take one of the tours that includes a stop at the Gatun Locks. Going out on the locks is the only true way to see the Canal.

j

We sailed through the Panama Canal on Mariner last year and began the transit early in the morning, when many of us were up on deck to experience it all. Regent staff were on hand with tea trolleys up on deck, serving hot drinks and so on, which were welcome, I can tell you! We took a break around lunchtime when in the lake and then resumed our "watch" until Trivia time when we went downstairs and watched the last locks from the lounge. It really does take more or less all day to complete the transit.

I just checked on my blog (http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/2014/2/1/the-early-morning-show.html) and see we got up at 5.50am...... Brrrr!

As you'll see, we loved every minute. You've got to do this!

Gilly, that's a delightful blog, thanks for the link.

Jim and are making the full transit in March but aboard Silversea Whisper, LA to FLL. It will be my first visit home since 1973, yeehaw.

My pleasure, DeepFreeze 63! Thank you and OctoberKat for kind words. I write it so that we can enjoy the special times (and the ordinary days too) over and again, but it's fun to think that you enjoyed our day in the Panama Canal as well ;-)

you folks are lucky, getting up at that time

When we cruised from LA to Ft Laud, we started the canal transit at 2AM, and yes, there was a huge crowd in the lounge listening to the Regent guide brought aboard for half the transit, when the shore guide took over. The Regent guide grew up at the canal, where his father helped to build it

A cruise imbedded in my memory forever