A specific question about Travel insurance .

HI Everyone ,

I know there are a lot of previous posts re Travel insurance tried doing the normal searches ,I know I had read about it somewhere ,thought it was on Cruise Critic but maybe not ....so bear with me ..:)

Question is ..What Travel insurance covers missed ports ,I remember someone saying they were able to claim on their travel insurance (which i hadn't ever heard of before ).when the ship was unable to go where they had booked due to the really bad weather .

Anyone able to refresh my memory?

Cheers Deb

HI Everyone ,

Question is ..What Travel insurance covers missed ports ,I remember someone saying they were able to claim on their travel insurance (which i hadn't ever heard of before ).when the ship was unable to go where they had booked due to the really bad weather .

Anyone able to refresh my memory?

Cheers Deb

Coincidentally I was just looking up Seniors travel insurance for a friend and spotted this http://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-insurance/cruise-travel-insurance.html.

Sounds like it would suit your needs.

I have used them before,but haven't made any claims.......my friend recommended them to me,he was on the Carnival Spirit doing south pacific cruise and his wife got sick.

The doctor was called and she was given medicine. ......Insure & Go paid his claim quickly on his return.

Around $400.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

what are you looking to insure re missed port? Cost of pre-paid independent tour, part of your cruise fare, .....??

Clearly there is no insurance to ensure you don't miss a port, which can happen for so many reasons, so what can be insured is not clear to me :confused:

what are you looking to insure re missed port? Cost of pre-paid independent tour, part of your cruise fare, .....??

Clearly there is no insurance to ensure you don't miss a port, which can happen for so many reasons, so what can be insured is not clear to me :confused:

Hi Mr walker, I was going to book a very expensive group shore tour and wanted to cover it in the case of missing the port next year .They have have stated it is a non refundable deposit .

Cheers Deb

Hi Mr walker, I was going to book a very expensive group shore tour and wanted to cover it in the case of missing the port next year .They have have stated it is a non refundable deposit .

Cheers Deb

I am always reluctant to pay for independent tours in advance, especially where it is not unusual for ships to miss a particular port.

I wonder whether the insurance company would cover excursions in missed ports in those cases, where it is not unusual for ships to miss that particular port, as distinct from those where it is rare.

I have used them before,but haven't made any claims.......my friend recommended them to me,he was on the Carnival Spirit doing south pacific cruise and his wife got sick.

The doctor was called and she was given medicine. ......Insure & Go paid his claim quickly on his return.

Around $400.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I am always reluctant to pay for independent tours in advance, especially where it is not unusual for ships to miss a particular port.

I wonder whether the insurance company would cover excursions in missed ports in those cases, where it is not unusual for ships to miss that particular port, as distinct from those where it is rare.

It depends on the tour. Some tours have to be especially arranged and bookings made to fit in with the ships timetable etc.

People go on about the extra expense of the Tairere Gorge Rail trip from the ship, but they dont realise that a special iicence has to be applied for and the line through the tunnel has to have a special inspection and roads have to be notified and closed when the train goes through etc etc.

I have been using Insure & Go for my last few cruises. Have claimed twice for missed ports due to weather. Both claims accepted and money has been paid into bank account within a couple of weeks. Note that it is a set amount per missed port regardless of what you paid for tour deposits $100pp for silver policy and $200 for gold. Read the fine print though as they have some strange rules regarding cuises not departing from Australia etc.

It depends on the tour. Some tours have to be especially arranged and bookings made to fit in with the ships timetable etc.

People go on about the extra expense of the Tairere Gorge Rail trip from the ship, but they dont realise that a special iicence has to be applied for and the line through the tunnel has to have a special inspection and roads have to be notified and closed when the train goes through etc etc.

Good points. All these things cost, and especially when they're one off/convenience things as above, the cost is often higher.

Has anyone made an insurance claim with Insure and Go? What was your experience?

MMDown Under,

We used Insure and Go for our last cruise. My DH had to have a procedure on his big toe after badly stubbing it which of course cost quite a few hundred $US. I sent the claim form (printed off their website) off on the Monday after returning home on the Saturday and received the refund Tuesday of the following week which we thought was a reasonable time.

Leigh

Sorry David, having done the Taieri Gorge train trip independently of the ship on numerous occasions, I don't understand your point. The trip independently is (about) half the price offered by the ship for the same thing. Only difference being with the ship's tour the train comes to the ship and the independent tour means getting yourself to Dunedin Train Station which is a treat in itself.

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Di

I'm not sure what he meant either.

Was he talking of the line between Dunedin and Port Chalmers for the train to pick up directly from the ship. That's the main rail line north out of Dunedin, I think. Surely there are still freight trains running on that line. :confused:

Or was he talking about the route the Taieri Gorge train takes from Dunedin, which runs at least once a day so shouldn't need any special inspections etc.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I'm not sure what he meant either.

Was he talking of the line between Dunedin and Port Chalmers for the train to pick up directly from the ship. That's the main rail line north out of Dunedin, I think. Surely there are still freight trains running on that line. :confused:

Or was he talking about the route the Taieri Gorge train takes from Dunedin, which runs at least once a day so shouldn't need any special inspections etc.

I would say it is the former.