When to expect guaranty cabin assignment?

clojacks

We have a guaranty OA booked for the Dawn sailing on 9/26 from Boston to Quebec City. I'm guessing it is too early to expect a cabin assignment yet as we are still about 60 days out or so, but when would the earliest be we might find out our cabin? I understand it may not be until almost boarding at the latest, but how early have others found out? Will we be notified when it is assigned or does it show up in our "vacation summary"? As of today there is nothing in MyNCL indicating we have a cabin assignment and the ship is near sellout.

Edited by clojacks

It can be anytime between booking and getting onboard. No notification, it just will show up in MyNCL.

Demonyte has shared the facts.

For what is worth, it seems relatively rare to have to wait until boarding to get the assignment, but NCL can wait that long if they wish. Also, not every gty gets their assignment at the same time...some might get theirs sooner, others later. Do not be concerned if this happens to you. For example, others have gotten assigned for my 9/22 cruise, but I am waiting happily and patiently for mine. Everyday without an assignment is another day I can hope for an upgrade:).

Good luck on your assignment.

Demonyte has shared the facts.

Everyday without an assignment is another day I can hope for an upgrade:).

Very good way of looking at it...I never really thought about it that way. I'm so anxious to get a cabin number to know where I am, but now I want to go as long as possible without one!!!!!

Friends of ours are going on 9/7 and they haven't received theirs yet.

I've never done the GTY thing, (I'm much too OCD for that!) But I keep asking our friends if they've received their room assignments yet. We won't be on the same cruise but we are leaving the day before them, and our itineraries cross paths a couple of times, so I want to know which side of the ship their room is on.

Have fun!

Very good way of looking at it...I never really thought about it that way. I'm so anxious to get a cabin number to know where I am, but now I want to go as long as possible without one!!!!!

With a fair number of gty bookings over the last ten years, cruiselines have trained me to have a good attitude about waiting until the end to get assignments. My two very best gty assignments (BX gty landed us in an aft balcony on NCL; a jr suite gty netted a crown loft suite on RCL) came shortly before departure. So, waiting actually makes me happy now. A perfectly average (or below average assignment) could come late, too, of course, but, even then, we will be on a cruise, so still happy.

This is our first GTY, so we have no foundation on which to even guess we will get a cabin, or what catagory it might possibly be. Would you say that thebig majority of time, you have gotten the same category that you booked Starry Eyes? If we do, that will be perfectly fine.

This is our first GTY, so we have no foundation on which to even guess we will get a cabin, or what catagory it might possibly be. Would you say that thebig majority of time, you have gotten the same category that you booked Starry Eyes? If we do, that will be perfectly fine.

Yes, generally we get the type of cabin promised. For example, we booked IX this time, so they only promise us the most basic inside cabin (or better). And an inside is by far the most likley outcome, though it might well be a "better" inside cabin (that is, a higher category inside, generally those are on a higher deck). No insides currently show as available for my cruise, so maybe they are holding one back for me, or maybe they are waiting to see if somebody cancels, or maybe they will bump me up a step to an obstructed cabin, or maybe somebody will get an upsell call (if they decide to make an upsell call, I hope they call me).

There is even less showing avaiable for your Dawn cruise. They may be holding a cabin back for you, even though we cannot see it (they do not have to give us the whole picture). Or they may plan to upsell somebody to a nice suite (for example they might call someone in a lower end suite and offer them a better suite for $X, then call somebody in a balcony and upsell them the now vacant suite for $Y, then call somebody in an OV (or you) and offer them a balcony for $Z). DH and I talk it over so we both know what to say if one of gets the upsell call while the other is out.

As long as you are very flexible and can be happy in essentially any cabin (promised category or higher), gty's are a reasonable option if the price is right.

Edited by Starry Eyes

We booked a guaranty cabin in January 2014 for a Panama Canal Cruise on the NCL Star departing Miami on November 17, 2014. Our cabin assignment showed up on myNCL on March 17th exactly 8 months before departure. This cruise is down to 15% vacancy (Cruise Fish number). It appears assigning guaranty cabins is tied to the market conditions. As the ship fills up, the guaranty cabins get assigned.

Sheila3, thanks for sharing. It is nice to hear how people fare with their gty assignments.

I am still waiting for mine. Both insides and Oceanview cabin show as "sold out" for my cruise on NCL's site.

clojacks, are you still waiting, too?

At the risk of sounding like a dunce, where specifically does your cabin assignment show up? When I log in and go to MY NCL, I click on "Vacation Summary" and it opens a box that shows "Reservation at a Glance" and in that, my stateroom as "GTY, Category OA". When my cabin is assigned, is that replaced by the actual number?

At the risk of sounding like a dunce, where specifically does your cabin assignment show up? When I log in and go to MY NCL, I click on "Vacation Summary" and it opens a box that shows "Reservation at a Glance" and in that, my stateroom as "GTY, Category OA". When my cabin is assigned, is that replaced by the actual number?

Yes, you are watching the correct spot. And you certianly do not sound like a dunce!

We are booked on Dawn's sister the Star departing only four days before you. Availability has been very limited on your cruise for a while, but there has been more availability on mine. Watching multiple cabin disappear from the website this week, I thought we might get our assignment. But not yet!

We have a guaranty OA booked for the Dawn sailing on 9/26 from Boston to Quebec City. I'm guessing it is too early to expect a cabin assignment yet as we are still about 60 days out or so, but when would the earliest be we might find out our cabin? I understand it may not be until almost boarding at the latest, but how early have others found out? Will we be notified when it is assigned or does it show up in our "vacation summary"? As of today there is nothing in MyNCL indicating we have a cabin assignment and the ship is near sellout.

I am set to sail on 8/15 and have yet to be assigned my GTY Stateroom. Getting antsy... first time going this route...

I am set to sail on 8/15 and have yet to be assigned my GTY Stateroom. Getting antsy... first time going this route...

Oh, your cruise is coming up quickly. No wonder you are getting antsy. Hang in there...You'll be cruising soon. Please update us when you get your cabin number; my fingers are crossed for you.

We are also waiting for our cabin assignment for 9/27 Getaway. How do I see how many cabins are remaining?:confused:

To get a feel for cabin availability, One can try doing a mock booking on NCL.com. I more often use a travel agency website, as I like the ease of use. We are not allowed to name travel agencies here. The one I most often use is a German agency that also provides some ship position info.

What type gty did you book? Inside? OV? balcony?

There appears to be lots of balcony cabins available at a higher grade on my cruise on the 10/5 is this a positive thing when waiting for a BF GTY ?

It might be or it might not - nobody here can tell.