Sharholder Benefit?

Maggie 3

Since you are unable to buy shares, there is no benefit.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but why not? I'm under the impression that an American can buy stocks that are traded on a foreign stock exchange by placing the order through a broker. In this case, Star Cruises is traded on the Hong Kong and Singapore exchanges.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but why not? I'm under the impression that an American can buy stocks that are traded on a foreign stock exchange by placing the order through a broker. In this case, Star Cruises is traded on the Hong Kong and Singapore exchanges.

I think what they were saying is that there is currently no "cruising perks" as a benefit of ownership. Both CCL and RCL have generous stockholder benefits for those that cruise. If NCL offered a similar program, I would definitely be interested since I sail them more than any other line.

BTW, what is the ticker for Star Cruises?

I think what they were saying is that there is currently no "cruising perks" as a benefit of ownership. Both CCL and RCL have generous stockholder benefits for those that cruise. If NCL offered a similar program, I would definitely be interested since I sail them more than any other line.

BTW, what is the ticker for Star Cruises?

I understand that there is no benefit of ownership as far as cruising perks are concerned. I was replying to the statement that we are "unable to buy shares" in Star Cruises (or the Genting Group), which has the ticker "symbol" of 678 on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and GENHK SP on the Singapore Exchange. If someone, for whatever reason, actually wants to buy shares, they can do so through a broker. Somebody, correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that there is no benefit of ownership as far as cruising perks are concerned. I was replying to the statement that we are "unable to buy shares" in Star Cruises (or the Genting Group), which has the ticker "symbol" of 678 on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and GENHK SP on the Singapore Exchange. If someone, for whatever reason, actually wants to buy shares, they can do so through a broker. Somebody, correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess it depends on the broker. Neither symbol is recognized for the brokers I use. Again, unless buying in at rock bottom prices there would be no perks.

Remember that Genting has not been the sole owner of NCL for a couple of years...they currently own 50%... and they do not control the board of directors, Apollo Management does. My guess is that Apollo would find little or no reason for Genting stockholders to receive discounts on NCL...owning stock in Genting doesn't directly benefit Apollo in any way, so why reward it? In any event you could probably count the number of Genting sharholders who cruise on NCL on the fingers of one hand (OK...maybe both hands and the toes on both feet). NCL cruisers are overwhelmingly from North America and Western Europe, and I suspect not a lot of people here invest in securities that are only listed on the Hong Kong and Singapore exchanges.

What kind of benefits are there for shareholders of other cruise lines?

Here is a copy of RCL's shareholder benefit. Unfortunately it does not combine with some other benefits at the present time.

" $250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 10 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 9 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Applicable on any Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Club Cruises Sailings. (excludes Celebrity Xpeditions)"

I do not know the details of Carnivals shareholder benefit and probably never will.;)

What kind of benefits are there for shareholders of other cruise lines?

In addition to paying dividends, Carnival (CCL) offers the following:

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer - $ 250

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days - $ 100

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less - $ 50

The biggest difference with CCL is that their stockholder credit IS combinable with other OBC (i.e. from TA),future cruise certificates (FCC's) which also give you OBC, AND the Early Saver plan. The lines that are applicable are Cunard, HAL, P&O, Costa, Carnival, Princess, Seabourn, AIDA, and Ibero. For those who enjoy a variety of cruiselines like us, it is easy to use these benefits to start off with $300 in OBC.

Archived