Tea and Coffee

Bluetide40

Hi I am travelling on P&O for the first time. We are on the Azura in a superior balcony and I wondered is there a kettle in the room and what coffee they provide. Also is Redbush tea available on board or is it best to bring my own?

Thank you.

Hi, Yes there is a kettle, cups,tea coffee & biscuits in your cabin. Tea is either Twinings or PG Tips, coffee is Dow Egbert I think. The coffee is fine, but we always take our own tea bags and suggest that you take your own. I can't remember seeing a teapot, but I'm sure your steward or room service will provide one. As for milk, you simply need to telephone room service and ask for a jug of full or semi skimmed as you prefer. You can keep this in your 'fridge to use as you want. Incidentally, if you don't want your 'fridge full of the drinks provided, just ask your cabin steward to take them away.

My Mother-in-law said today, she's nearly 80, hence the question, that P&O where going to stop tea and coffee in the cabins. Is there any truth in this or is she in a muddle, which could be a possibilty.

Keith (Southend)

Extremely unlikely. I would say that this is yet another daft rumour to be ignored! 😄

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

The steward will provide both decaf and caffeinated coffee refills. Neither my wife or I like decaf so we ask the steward to just provide high-octane :) coffee and that's what we get.

The stewards (and indeed, every crew member I've known) will do what they can for us... but they aren't (quite!) mind-readers. So a few polite requests to the steward, wine-waiter, waiter, etc. on the first few days can make all the difference to our cruise.... and also to their tips (y)

VP

The steward will provide both decaf and caffeinated coffee refills. Neither my wife or I like decaf so we ask the steward to just provide high-octane :) coffee and that's what we get.

The stewards (and indeed, every crew member I've known) will do what they can for us... but they aren't (quite!) mind-readers. So a few polite requests to the steward, wine-waiter, waiter, etc. on the first few days can make all the difference to our cruise.... and also to their tips (y)

VP

That sounds like the service we normally get. Thanks for the replies, not got a clue where she got that idea from bless her. Oh well will know in just over a couple of weeks when we go on the Oriana upto Iceland.

Thanks

Keith (Southend)

I seem to remember that you used to get a tea pot many moons ago. They provided an elegant tall metal pot and cups and saucers. I suspect that they took up far too much space and so we saw them in one cruise then not in the next just a few months later.

We are coffee drinkers and take real coffee pods for in the cabin as I'm not so keen on instant.

We got mugs on Ventura last year but on Aurora this year we got cups and saucers, I don't mind but I do prefer a large cup of tea first thing. It is now PG tips and Douwe Egberts coffee. There are lots of different teas in the buffet which you can take back to your cabin. If you prefer a particular brand I would take your own.

That sounds like the service we normally get. Thanks for the replies, not got a clue where she got that idea from bless her. Oh well will know in just over a couple of weeks when we go on the Oriana upto Iceland.

Thanks

Keith (Southend)

Another popular cruise forum has a thread on the demise of the P&O kettle.

• 4 weeks later...

This maybe old news now, but I guess its worth noting.

it seems that Twinings have been replaced as the tea provider. It's mainly PG Tips in the buffet and cabins. Although some old stock of Twinings can still be found in the buffet, ie. Earl Grey and the fruit teas. Green tea is PG though.

If you buy a tea in any of the bar areas, its Teapigs. ( https://www.teapigs.co.uk/ for those not familiar with the brand)

I know I am in the minority here and I don't drink tea or coffee

I always ask for the kettle and cups etc to be moved as they take up valuable space

My pet hate is lying in bed in the morning just before getting up and listening to the rattling of the cups as the steward moves his trolley up and down the corridor

Ban the kettles!

As an alternative to asking your steward for a jug of milk, in the buffet on Aurora they had little jugs on top of some of the serving counters, so we would get one for the table at breakfast and another to take back to the room fridge for use with our morning cuppa next day.

Order room service breakfast for your morning tea and coffee. No need to order any food if you don't want. You can then keep the teapot for the rest of the day if you wish and also the milk jug.

As has been mentioned, the milk is UHT so if you are like my wife, then I recommend you take some milk on board at Southampton. The fridge will keep it fresh for a while bit not as long as your fridge at home.

When I first started cruising, your Cabin Steward (no Stewardesses in those days!) always woke you with tea/coffee and juice) so now I use room service. I fill in a card the first night and write on it "Please may I have the same order at the same time each day" and that works well for me. If I am on an early excursion, I just tell them the day before not to bring it. The only small drawback is that they are not allowed to 'knock and enter' these days, so I have to get out of bed to answer the door :(. It is generally the same steward each day, so they then get a nice tip at the end of the cruise.