Am I nuts to consider Adventure over Anthem?

Hello!

I've been on 3 cruises (all on the Explorer out of Bayonne) and haven't sailed since 2012.

My husband and I are thinking about a May 2018 cruise out of Bayonne/Cape Liberty, NJ.

While the Anthem of the Seas is a new(ish) ship with lots of bells and whistles, I have read so many negative reviews that I'm unsure I want to sail on her.

I just saw that Adventure of the Seas will be sailing out of Bayonne in May 2018.

I'm actually leaning towards the Adventure - - - is that crazy???

I'm guessing the cabins are really dated at this point. Wondering if they're clean, nice, etc. I'm assuming this ship is very similar to the Explorer - and has a few additions.

I feel like the Anthem is SO huge, and I don't know if I want that.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!! :)

I was on Adventure last year and have been on Anthem multiple times, and am booked on both in the future. Adventure has been recently buffed up. I wouldn't hesitate to go on either ship. In the summer Anthem is doing Bermuda, Bermuda-/Caribbean, and Canada/New England and Adventure will do the Bahamas and Canada/New England. I like the voyager class ships and I don't think you're crazy to want to go on one again.

Loved our B2B on Adventure for the southern caribbean...was a bit disappointed she is moving but will make do with Freedom sailing that itinerary from San Juan for our next one. Getting ready to go on Anthem soon so that will be new to me.

Enjoy the Adventure...I think you'll be very pleased !!

Not at all. The price for the Adventure is probably lower than the Anthem. The Anthem is a great beautiful ship with all the great bells and whistles, but those are just novelties, and the bottom line, you're still on a cruise, with a cruise experience. Especially with the removal of Dynamic Dining, the experience on the Anthem is closer to the experience on the Adventure.

I also like Adventure size, been on a couple of her sister ships and it does have the Ice show, and as just said I am sure this will cost a lot less, I have been avoiding the larger ships since I can save so much more on Voyager and Freedom class

I'd discount the Anthem negative nellies - it's a fine ship.

Rather - I'd decide which itinerary and price you prefer. You won't have any predisposition to a better of worse experience on either ship. Both ships and class of ships have their fans.

Pick what suits you and don't worry so much about the ship. Each is a fantastic choice!

I agree with all of the responses to your question. We are booked on Anthem for two cruises in the fall and winter. We love going out of Bayonne and avoiding the hassle of flying. When I saw that Adventure was sailing next spring I jumped on the May 18 and can't wait. Our favorite ship has always been Explorer so Adventure is the next best thing. I'm almost looking forward to that cruise more than the other two Anthem cruises. I say "almost" because the best cruise is the next one up!

Comparing Anthem to Adventure is like comparing a 2002 BMW to a 2016 Maserati.

Anthem is so much more technologically advanced. Two70 is a marvel of engineering that no other ship in the RCL fleet can match. The Solarium is second to none, which Adventure just cannot match, especially if in poor weather out of Bayonne. The cabins and all interior spaces are so much more modern.

The two most important things are that Quantum Class is more outward focus (a combination of Radiance Class and Celebrity S Class) with many places to see outside ... Voyager Class is inward focus with very few interior areas to see the sea. The second point is that Quantum Class is a totally different experience from Voyager Class, you won't even recognize that it's RCL until you get used to the ship and it's design.

Many LOVE Anthem here on Cruise Critic.... many HATE Anthem.

I think it's really up to the OP to book or not book, and see for themselves whether they'll like it.

Many folks here are creatures of habit and would prefer their 2002 used BMW with no blue tooth, no gps, a cassette player, etc vs. a change and brand new.

Not at all. However, don't believe everything you read about Anthem. I have been on her and loved it - going on her again next month and again next November.

Don't base which ship you go on because random strangers that you know nothing about like or don't like the ship. :-)

We have been on both ships and loved them. If you prefer bigger and high tech, then Anthem has the edge. If you prefer smaller and loved the Royal Promenade on Explorer, then Adventure has the edge. You will have a great time no matter which you pick. We do think the entertainment was much better on Anthem. That being said, we are booked again on Adventure for May.

I'm loving these opinions ... thank you! I'm so glad to see that people still love the Adventure.

I'm still so torn....:)

Oh, one more thing. In January Adventure is completing the refurb that wasn't finished last time so she should be even better this coming May than she was on our trip last May. Maybe we will see you guys!

We have been on both ships and loved them. If you prefer bigger and high tech, then Anthem has the edge. If you prefer smaller and loved the Royal Promenade on Explorer, then Adventure has the edge. You will have a great time no matter which you pick. We do think the entertainment was much better on Anthem. That being said, we are booked again on Adventure for May.

Of course it is. Almost anything is better than those old cheesy Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers shows. Anthem entertainment is more on par with Oasis class I would imagine (since I have not yet sailed anthem).

Oh, one more thing. In January Adventure is completing the refurb that wasn't finished last time so she should be even better this coming May than she was on our trip last May. Maybe we will see you guys!

Oh, it's going through a refurb? Do you happen to know what they're updating (cabins, maybe?)?

That will be so funny if we wind up on the same sailing.

Of course it is. Almost anything is better than those old cheesy Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers shows. Anthem entertainment is more on par with Oasis class I would imagine (since I have not yet sailed anthem).

Agreed. We have not been on Oasis Class but the Anthem Broadway type production of We Will Rock You is fabulous. Based on the music of Queen, it ran in London for several years. Being here in NJ, if it comes to Broadway in the future, it will be a must see.

I was booked on the Oasis in August but switched bookings and am now on AOTS. I'm just not a fan of the huge ships. I personally like the smaller ships, Freedom being my favorite. Was on Independence and wanted to try Adventure.

I personally enjoyed Adventure more than Anthem. Anthem seem to me to be hyped about the high-tech and the amusement activities, neither of which did much for me. Plus Adventure has a Promenade Deck, which I love. For Anthem it's enclosed except for a few spaces hear and there. Now that I've seen Anthem once, no need to return, but I'll go on Adventure (and her sister ships) any time.