Very Front Or Very Back Of The Ship?

Dancinfeet

Very back of the ship, absolutely. I've had both. The cabins on the very back of the ship have the best view. PLUS we felt the most motion in our very far forward cabin over any other place on the ship.

I notice that the most expensive cabins..Penthouses, Garden Villas and Romance are in the very front of the ship. I can't imagine anyone spending that kind of money if they were going to be rocking and reeling all week. I know for sure that Hawaii would not be a good place to be in a far forward cabin, because you do get rough seas, but what about the Caribbean? Any time we have been to the Caribbean the seas have been pretty calm. I think when you go would be a factor. We are going in March.

The aft is definitely smoother. On our Navigator cruise I felt motion sickness a lot more when in the Theatre at the front of the ship, even though it was a lot lower down than our cabin on deck 9. We were right at the back too the last starboard balcony before the real aft ones. I'm staying at the back now and have nabbed a real aft balcony for our next cruise!

I've been towards the front of the ship before (not quite the 1st cabin) and I liked it. I've been in Aft cabins before on their balconies and although I am one of the rare few...I don't like them. I find that there tends to be extra noise back there from the ships motors or whatever, just creating more "water" noise then is to my taste.

I've been in Aft cabins before on their balconies and although I am one of the rare few...I don't like them. I find that there tends to be extra noise back there from the ships motors or whatever, just creating more "water" noise then is to my taste.

I'm also one of the rare few. I prefer to be mid or forward. The noise and vibration in the aft bother me.

I have been in suites on the bow and in insides on the bow and a balcony on the stern and many places in the middle.

I prefer the middle. Suites on the front are two windy, and you get a LOT of movement both Bow and Stern plus stern you get vibration.

Lots of noise in either case.

The Midship area moves less no vibration to speak of and much less noise.

I'm glad to hear there are a few people who liked the front., since we will be #1 on the Jewel on deck 11 as far forward as you can get. I can't imagine that it could be that terrible being that most of the expensive cabins are in the front. The caribbean is normally calm in March and April.

I notice that the most expensive cabins..Penthouses, Garden Villas and Romance are in the very front of the ship. I can't imagine anyone spending that kind of money if they were going to be rocking and reeling all week. I know for sure that Hawaii would not be a good place to be in a far forward cabin, because you do get rough seas, ......

We had a forward Penthouse (I think it was the 2nd door from the front) On our Hawaiian cruise - I loved it and I am extremely sesitive to motion. there was only one night that was a bit rocky but I saw people stagger all over the ship on my way to the room. I took extra ginger capsuls and had no problems.

On our New England cruise this Oct. we will have a back facing cabin. I'm a bit nervouse about it because of the noise factor mentioned. Oh well I don't plan on spending a lot of time in the cabin and at night I'll just use my Earplugs!! :cool:

Had an aft balcony on Explorer of the seas. WONDERFUL! This cruise I have a forward facing cabin. And a sideways cabin to boot. I'll let you all know how it is when I return in April.

I don't care where I am as long at it's a ship, it has a cabin steward and a waiter and asst. waiter I am a happy camper!

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to be aft. When I booked our cruise, the only thing available to my taste (I didn't want to be lower in the ship) was room 7000 or 7002 on Radiance. Overlooked the heliport, no balcony. It wasn't bad.

Until we left the Inside Passage to get to the glacier, and that night it was so incredibly rocky. UPPPP, DOWWWWN, UPPP, DOWWWWN. Ugh. My hubby used to work on oil tankers, so the entire cruise was a cakewalk for him; I couldn't wake him up to get him to help me out, calm me down. I finally had to calm myself down by reminding myself that the cabinets were NOT opening, that nothing was rolling around. Next morning my well-rested hubby had a conversation with another couple at breakfast (who had had the same issues as I did that night) about how it was all normal, that you want a ship to move and to creak (as it had been doing), b/c if they don't move and bend slightly then they'll just break (ack!).

If only he could have woken up enough to talk me down like that that night!

Anyway, whether or not there are expensive rooms above deck 7, the front of the ship can indeed get a LOT of motion. That morning I was finally sick, and then I felt better (let me state for the record that I was also newly pregnant, and we'll never know if it was a very early bout of morning sickness, or from the ship's rocking overnight) and it was all fine the rest of the cruise.

But next time I'm trying the back with those balconies, even if there's less movement in the middle of the ship. :)

I've twice been on a ship at the rear with a balcony, and suffered from the vibration of the pods that these modern ships use. Also, I don't like the way the balcony is overlooked.

I've been in the very front suites of the Queen Elizabeth 2 - just behind the bridge - and whilst they do move (as we found out in a force 10 in the North Atlantic) the forward view is wonderful.

Of course the best bit about the Queen Elizabeth 2 and her (very few) balconies is that if you are on the top deck, they are completely private, with no-one overlooking you at all.

The bow takes the pounding from the waves, and of course the anchors are there. The aft has the vibration from the shafts (on a real ship) or the pods (on one of these new things).

High up forward is my preference. Midships lower down would be acceptable.

But then I like a good storm!

Matthew

I always end up mid to forward. My next cruise I'm as far forward as I can get. I usually love a rocking boat. The only time I was bothered was 18 hours of really bad up & down on my last cruise and it was definitly worse forward. Tummy got a little queasy being in the room, but I just hung out midship and was fine. Everyone seemed to be queasy that day!

It seems when most reply to these types of questions, it is directed to the very back "aft" cabins. If one isn't fortunate enough to grab a full aft cabin; how do the cabins next to the corner wraps compare to being midship or front? Are the views and the balconies as good as midship/front?

Are all the balconies other than full aft completely covered; or are some partially covered on some decks? If partial, which decks would contain those?

We had an aft cabin on the Vision to the Mexican Riviera, deck 8. We had the mild rumble of the engines, but it didn't bother us. I wear ear plugs to bed and don't hear a thing. The aft deck balcony had no wind and plenty of sun. We have had a forward cabin on the Mariner with a portal, overlooking straight out the front of the ship. We were about the 8th floor. Once we started getting balconies, we got spoiled. Midships and lower in the decks will be the smoothest ride. If you are forward and on the top decks, of course you will feel the motion.

We were in a romance suite to Hawaii aft and thought the view was wonderful. Watching the ship depart ports was awesome!!!

This cruise coming up we booked a suite in the front. Looking forward

(no pun intended) to this view as well beats the snow in Chicago:)

Happy Cruizin:p