Camera memory card transfer to CD

surfrider86

Has anyone used the ships (specifically Crown Princess) photo services to transfer the contents of your cameras memory card to a CD. My understanding is that they offer this service for a fee. The question is, if you supply your own CD is there still a charge? or, how about using the computer center?

I think this would be a good/safe thing to do - instead of bringing my computer, or extra memory cards.

Any other thoughts?

Not sure how much I will be able to help but we used this service back in 2003 (haven't used it since) and it was great. They charged $30 to put all of our pictures on a CD. We could take our memory card to the photo shop ever day and they would load it onto their computer onto our account, give us the memory card back and burn the CD at the end of the week. I believe they have changed the way they do this process so I'm not sure if it is the same but it might be similar. We haven't done it since because, with technology these days, it doesn't take that long to download the pictures to my computer anyway. I would have to do it if I had it done on the CD anyway. Also, we take extra memory cards as a precaution (they are so much cheaper these days) because you never know when one will fail on you like it did me. Fortunately, I had just started taking pictures so I didn't lose anything.

I have used the download to CD service in the past on Princess and most recently (Sept. 2009) on Nautica. You pay a fee ($25 or so) and you are free to download your pictures to the computer in the computer lab. This serves as a great backup against card filling or misreading or :eek: Heavens forbid loosing the camera.

My new camera is 12 mega pixels. I thought I had plenty of space with 3 memory cards of 2 gigs. NO WAY. 12 pixels take so much space. Being a point and shoot girl did not know to tone it down some to save space on card. Just be aware of how much detail you are shooting and plan accordingly. A small basic thumbdrive in Turkey was over $45 US. (Though I must admit we had fun exploring and looking for thumbdrives (just try explaining THAT concept), memory cards etc. -- got us out of the touristy shops)

My cousin had a 4 gig card and her older (3 year old 4 pixel) camera would not accept it. We traded her 4 for my 2 and it worked. Just take alot more memory than you will ever use then run out 6 days in!:D Take a thumb drive or two and it is easy to transfer it over to carry home. You can save lots of money using an internet cafe in port both for email and for downloading your pictures to your own drive.

Seemed to average about $3.00 an hour in comparison to $1.00 per minute on a super slow connection.

Whatever you do, don't try to download your pictures to a CD in a foreign country!!!

I was running out of space on my memory stick while in France in 2005 and it was really expensive to buy another stick there, so I went to a photo shop and they downloaded my pics to a CD. I erased the stick and continued to take pictures for the rest of the trip.

After arriving home, I took the CD to the store to develop the pictures and they said they were "locked" on the CD and couldn't be downloaded!! I then took it to a sophisticated photo store and they could only get a few off. Not knowing what else to do, I took the CD back to France with me this year and went to a photo store, but they couldn't get them either. I'm heartsick - I lost all the photos from the first half of my trip (over a week).

Lesson learned: take enough memory sticks to last the whole trip. They're so cheap now that I have bought enough to get me through a 2 week trip. Then when I come home I download them. Better safe than sorry.

It is about $10 to put the pictures on a CD.

However, a CD only holds 700MB and today's cameras use memory cards with significantly more space than a single (or even several) CDs can hold.

Best to invest in more memory cards.

Has anyone used the ships (specifically Crown Princess) photo services to transfer the contents of your cameras memory card to a CD. My understanding is that they offer this service for a fee. The question is, if you supply your own CD is there still a charge? or, how about using the computer center?

I think this would be a good/safe thing to do - instead of bringing my computer, or extra memory cards.

Any other thoughts?

There is a charge for everything on the ship, its how they make money is it not ;)

For the price of this service, you could easily by enough backup memory for literally thousands of pictures. I'm not sure what peoples obession with downloading their pictures from their memory card is. They are so cheap these days I simply carry 2x what I think I need. These days that costs so little. The cards are actually very reliable as long as you don't turn off your camera or remove them while its writing. It makes sense to backup the cards, but harddrives, CDs and all digital data always has a possibility of failure.

If space is the issue save the money from burning and buy a couple extra memory cards.

If security is the worry, rotate out the cards and keep them with your passport/valuables in the safe.

The photo shop will charge to download pictures from the memory stick to a cd. It is cheaper to buy an extra memory stick or two.

As to the internet cafe, you will not have access to any drives. That means no dvd/cd's, no thumb drives and no hard drives. If they have a USB port, you can't get to it.

Any other thoughts?

AMAZAON DOT COM, BABY!

Cheapest prices for cards.

We always bring our laptop. Not only are we able to take advantage of the Wi Fi without going into the internet "Cafe" but we are also able to download our digatal camera or video camera content onto the laptop or a thumb drive. We find it more convientent.

Although I am not answering your question, sorry, I have to tell you, the best purchase I have ever made was my netbook for travel.

I can download my pictures each night to the folder for that particular date and/or island, and it keeps them organized, no charge to transfer, and no additional memory cards needed.

They are inexpensive, light weight, and really come in handy for a variety of uses onboard. Especially to download all the great pictures. :)

Hi Toto, I have a fear of taking a computer through airport security:o. It seems to be all I can manage (poorly) to get the liquid bag, the purse, the rolling carry on, the coat, and the shoes on and off in a timely manner. Spooked even more when the authorities in Spain objected to the neck bank under my clothes and I was "requested" to a booth to take off my shirt. Would I survive with a small laptop? I have one that is large but light. What do you have to do to go through security? Please help. I have not been able to confess this weakness to the road warriors in my family.

Barbara,

All you have to do to get through security is to take it out of it's case and put it in one of the bins, nothing more. In fact, they now sell these nifty little carry bags that go through the scanners without the computer having to be taken out. It is much easier than it used to be it seems.

I got the netbook since it is so small, and can fit easily either in the side of the rolling carry on, or even in my purse. Which makes it even simplier to take it out and put it in the bin, one quick unzip and it is there.

It just made keeping my pictures organized a breeze, and I didn't have to guess which island or day they were taken, as they all fit nicely into their little folder for viewing later and organizing after we return home. ;)

Yeah I really thought about that often. Your stuff comes down the belt and it can be several minutes before you catch up to it. I suppose that the security agents keep an eye on things but still the number of little black bags/camera cases/purses means it would be impossible to match bag to owner at the end. I do not know of anything to do about the situation. I even have had the passing thought are we safer? Hey we now all know that you can not bring drugs into the country in a cooked chicken:D Maybe you could get it in a red sari like at the White House.

I hate the shoe bomber. I have bad feet and standing in line without shoes on can start the pain.

Yeah I really thought about that often. Your stuff comes down the belt and it can be several minutes before you catch up to it. I suppose that the security agents keep an eye on things but still the number of little black bags/camera cases/purses means it would be impossible to match bag to owner at the end. I do not know of anything to do about the situation. I even have had the passing thought are we safer? Hey we now all know that you can not bring drugs into the country in a cooked chicken:D Maybe you could get it in a red sari like at the White House.

I hate the shoe bomber. I have bad feet and standing in line without shoes on can start the pain.

The joys of travel in the 21st century.

Although I am not answering your question, sorry, I have to tell you, the best purchase I have ever made was my netbook for travel.

I can download my pictures each night to the folder for that particular date and/or island, and it keeps them organized, no charge to transfer, and no additional memory cards needed.

They are inexpensive, light weight, and really come in handy for a variety of uses onboard. Especially to download all the great pictures. :)

Toto,

Just received my netbook. It will be great for PC in April.:D

Wished I had it for Southern Caribbean last year.:mad:

Lot of time figuring which day, which island.:confused:

John

If you bring a laptop/netbook through airport security with you, keep an eye on it at all times. Many thieves are just waiting for you to be distracted for a second so they can grab it. Should you be lucky enough to be selected for further searching by TSA, take your possessions with you. Do not leave them at the X-ray.

Art

Thank you all for all the great tips. I think I will just bring extra memory cards. I didn't really think about the fact that a CD really doesn't hold that much info. Although I haven't ever had any trouble carrying a laptop through airport security - leaving mine at home will help prevent me from doing any work while on vacation.

Safe travels everyone

thanx again

Archived