Indian Vegetarian Options?

Liffey

After several Carnival cruises we're looking forward to our first cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Pearl this summer. Can't wait!

Some Carnival ships have an Indian station, but (at least on Splendor) the only vegetarian dish available (other than chutneys/sides/bread) unless you do a special order in the MDR has always been a single, unchanging, very dry paneer (cheese).

I've read that NCL ships usually have Indian items on the buffet. Can anyone describe the vegetarian options? I know there will be plenty of interesting dining opportunities on the ship even if I can't get my Indian fix, but it would be great to be able to look forward to a nice paneer or aloo dish. :)

After several Carnival cruises we're looking forward to our first cruise to Alaska on the Norwegian Pearl this summer. Can't wait!

Some Carnival ships have an Indian station, but (at least on Splendor) the only vegetarian dish available (other than chutneys/sides/bread) unless you do a special order in the MDR has always been a single, unchanging, very dry paneer (cheese).

I've read that NCL ships usually have Indian items on the buffet. Can anyone describe the vegetarian options? I know there will be plenty of interesting dining opportunities on the ship even if I can't get my Indian fix, but it would be great to be able to look forward to a nice paneer or aloo dish. :)

I just got off the Jade and the buffet (both lunch & dinner) offered Indian dishes. Each day there were 3 dishes, usually 2 vegetable and I meat, as well as rice, roti, poppadoms, chutney & riata. The rice was either plain or flavored. I do not remember all the dishes but here are a few: Palak Paneer, Chana masala, Dal. I do remember that it was all good and I ate it often. I do hope for you that the Pearl will also be offering these dishes so that you will get an opportunity to enjoy them as well.

I just got off the Gem last Sunday, and the Indian items on the buffet were my favorites. I think I have photos of all three Indian meals I had...let me see...

Day 1 (embarkation day)

IMG_3570.jpg

yellow lentils, eggplant, and curry noodles (curry noodles were not like any actual indian food i've ever had...so not sure if they count!)

Day 3 (first day in port--Bermuda_

IMG_3604.jpg

malai kofta (my favorite--and these were pretty good, too!) and some kind of potato pepper dish.

I know that I had Indian three days (every day that I had lunch at the buffet) and I know that there were different offerings each day...and that they were always veggie (I eat meat but not often and rarely from a buffet!) I'm almost positive that they had some sort of saag paneer on one day. Anyway--hope this answers your question.

And as for quality--it was surprisingly good. There was actual spice, which is often lacking in buffet settings. And the naan that was out every day was much better than the rice--which was kind of over cooked.

Many of the chefs on the NCL ships are from India, so they usually have some great options! I love Indian food and have really enjoyed the Indian dishes on the buffet on the Spirit and the Sun. The chef on the Dawn last may was from somewhere else (arg, I forget where, I just know it wasnt India, somewhere in the Africa region I think) and there weren't many/any Indian dishes in the buffet that I could find. However, there are some Indian-type dishes that are standard on the MDR menus.

YUM!

Thanks everyone! Now I'm that much more excited - if that's possible! My husband (not a vegetarian but a big fan of Indian food) and I looooove malai kofta, so that pic already has my mouth watering. Thanks again!

Archived