Carnival - transfer to La Guardia

kittsi

I just booked a cruise through Carnival for September 15th. The cruise goes to Canada and the itinerary states that the ship gets back at 8:00 am. I've already booked a flight that leaves out of La Guardia at 11:20 am - this is the latest flight out of La Guardia on a Saturday through Midwest Airlines. Carnival's website states that the earliest flight we should get out through La Guardia is 1:00. From previous cruises I've taken, I've found that the cruise lines greatly over-compensate the amount of time needed to get off the ship and get to the airport and the ship also tends to get in to port earlier than what the itinerary states. I'm a little worried though because I've never taken a cruise out of New York before. Has anyone out there gone on a cruise out of New York before and could you let me know how long it took to disembark and get from the pier to La Guardia airport?

I just booked a cruise through Carnival for September 15th. The cruise goes to Canada and the itinerary states that the ship gets back at 8:00 am. I've already booked a flight that leaves out of La Guardia at 11:20 am - this is the latest flight out of La Guardia on a Saturday through Midwest Airlines. Carnival's website states that the earliest flight we should get out through La Guardia is 1:00. From previous cruises I've taken, I've found that the cruise lines greatly over-compensate the amount of time needed to get off the ship and get to the airport and the ship also tends to get in to port earlier than what the itinerary states. I'm a little worried though because I've never taken a cruise out of New York before. Has anyone out there gone on a cruise out of New York before and could you let me know how long it took to disembark and get from the pier to La Guardia airport?

Hi Kittsi and welcome to the boards.

Carnival allows self assist disembark. This means taking your luggage off the ship yourself. This is the fastest way. You will be one of the first off the ship.

Nobody can tell you WHEN the ship will begin disembarktation because of customs and other factors or if the ship will even make it back to NY on time. Most cases it will and things go smoothely.

With that said, LGA is usually pretty easy to fly in and out of. Might I suggest you take a cab to LGA? From midtown Manhattan to LGA a cab is about 30.00.

It is possible you can get to the airport and make your flight. It will take about 30-45 minutes to get to LGA factoring in traffic.

Personally I have never seen LGA that busy with check in lines and security. This may be different on your day.

I would check in for my flight from the ships computers and print the boarding passes too. Then hand your luggage to the curbside guys and be done with it. Please tip them. (This will benefit you)

You may be cutting it a little close, but it can be done. But only you can decide if you are comfortable.

I am not sure I am clear if Sept 15 is your sail date or your return date. The 15th is a Saturday and traffic should be a little lighter than a weekday.

If you have booked your transportation via carnival you may want to reconsider and take the cab. If you are taking a bus you will have to sit and wait for it to fill up.

Or you can order up a town car for about 80.00 bucks and have it waiting for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Also, it looks like your arrival in NYC is the first stop in the USA after Halifax; that means customs has to be cleared in NYC. That might add time to your departure from the ship. Not that it will stop you from making the flight, just something to keep in mind.

Your schedule will really be tight. If Carnival states the ship docks at 8:00AM, I would not expect clearance until after 9:00, more likely 9:30-10:00. You will have to do self disembark (don't put your luggage out the night before). You will have to be one of the first off or you will be waiting for a cab. Your driver will have to bust b*** to LGA. Hope for no traffic. And hope the airport isn't crowded, as security can sometimes be a real bear at LGA.

I have sailed into NYC 3 times. The ship has never been cleared before 9:30. That is too late to make an 11:20 flight out of LGA.

Hope everything goes well for you.

I wouldn't chance such a tight schedule. There are just too many "what-ifs" that can mess it up:

- that one family that doesn't settle their bill after being paged 45 times

- a delay by customs & immigrations

- traffic (after being a NYer for 14 years, I know that traffic can happen anytime & any place)

- some security snafu at LGA (I've traveled through LGA almost twice a month and typcally security there is always slow & long lines).

I would book a later flight if I were you. That 11:20 is just tempting fate.

Archived