Glasgow - getting to Loch Lomond & Stirling Castle

Stirling Castle is easy from Glasgow. The is a direct train every 30 mins or so to Stirling and the Castle is 20mins (uphill) walk (£4 taxi).

It is a very interesting castle but not as much as Edinburgh Castle. You can get train from same station (Queen St) every 15 mins.

For Loch Lomond, you can get a train to same station to Balloch, a little village which is at the start of Loch Lomond. I believe you can take boat trips from there on to the loch.

Does anyone have experience on getting to Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle on their own from Glasgow using public transportation?

Can it be done? If so, is there any information you can provide?

I guess you really mean from Greenock (where the ship docks) to Stirling...this is where it gets a little more complicated....

You would have to get a train from Greenock to Glasgow (Central Station) and cross town to Glasgow (Queen St. Station) a 10/15min walk, then catch the train to Stirling.

I reckon it will take you about 2hours using this service, you can check the timings using this link:

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/content/travelinfo/ticketsandfares.php

If you really want to do Loch Lomond and Stirling probably the most cost effective way would be to rent a car and then you do both quite easily in a day

Here is a link to car rental company which operates from Greenock and is usually reasonably priced.

http://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=weblease2/xcr3/xpub/xpublocation.p

Here's a diagram to show where Greenock/Loch Lomond/Stirling/Glasgow are in relation to one another.

http://www.lochlomondshores.com/assets/images/location_map_big.gif

You can see the route from Greenock across the Erskine Bridge on to Loch Lomond then onto Stirling and then back via the motorway through Glasgow back to Greenock

Here's details of the Loch Lomond Shores area:

http://www.lochlomondshores.com/index.htm

For more information about Stirling castle follow this link:

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=PL_275

if you need anymore information on other attractions in the Stirling area just ask as I live there :)

936906290_stirlingcastle.jpg.9f2105198752e5b9877a305521b744a2.jpg

Thank you both for the wonderful and helpful information.

If you don't mind, I do have a few other questions after looking over the information you provided:

1) If I am scheduled to be in Greenock from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, do you think that there is enough time to see Glasgow, Loch Lomond/Balloch and Stirling Castle?

2) Ok, so as I understand it, there are trains from the Queen St. station to both Balloch and Stirling. But to get to both Stirling and Balloch, I need to leave from Glasgow. So there is no train that would take me from Balloch direct to Stirling? Is this correct?

3) While it seems that a car rental is an option, I am a bit wary of renting a car in a foreign country and trying to get myself from one place to another when I am unfamiliar with the place. Do you think that driving is difficult? Would it be easy to get lost? Is finding parking difficult? Is parking expensive? Is there a lot of traffic?

4) Finally, if I had to choose between Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle due to time constraints and could only go to one place, which would you recommend?

Thank you again in advance!

I'm guessing you are on the Grand Princess and you will be in Greenock on July 31st a Thursday ?

1) If I am scheduled to be in Greenock from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, do you think that there is enough time to see Glasgow, Loch Lomond/Balloch and Stirling Castle?

I think that's something you have to decide but consider the transit times:

Ship to Greenock West station around 1 mile (20mins each way)

Greenock West to Glasgow Central (45mins each way)

Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen St (15 mins each way)

Glasgow Queen Street to Balloch (50mins each way)

Glasgow Queen Street to Stirling (40mins each way )

So if everything worked like clockwork (which it seldom does) you've got 5 1/2 hrs of sitting in trains!

This is why I would consider a rental car, if you re-check the map in my previous post, you can see there is a logical route....Greenock to Loch Lomond about 30mins... Loch Lomond to Stirling about 50mins... Stirling to Greenock about 80mins

2) Ok, so as I understand it, there are trains from the Queen St. station to both Balloch and Stirling. But to get to both Stirling and Balloch, I need to leave from Glasgow. So there is no train that would take me from Balloch direct to Stirling? Is this correct?

You are correct no train from Balloch to Stirling

3) While it seems that a car rental is an option, I am a bit wary of renting a car in a foreign country and trying to get myself from one place to another when I am unfamiliar with the place. Do you think that driving is difficult? Would it be easy to get lost? Is finding parking difficult? Is parking expensive? Is there a lot of traffic?

Automatic cars are available for rental so the actual driving isn't that difficult, you just have to adapt to being on the "wrong" side of the road.

You can also get "sat nav" for your rental car if you are worried about getting lost.

Parking at Lomond Shores is free, there is a car park at Stirling Castle and is not particularly expensive (check the Stirling Castle link for upto date info).

Considering that the schools are on holiday and the most of the West of Scotland take their holiday at this time you probably couldn't pick a quieter time for commuter traffic!

4) Finally, if I had to choose between Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle due to time constraints and could only go to one place, which would you recommend?

Thank you again in advance!

Ok I might sound biased here (which is probably true :) ) I would go for Stirling there is a lot history not only at Castle but also in the surrounding area, and some wonderful views from the "top of the town"......Loch Lomond is very scenic... I guess it depends on what sort of experience you want!

If you still cannot decide, it may be better to have a good weather/bad weather option and decide on the day. Nothing worse than heading for Loch Lomond on a grey, cloudy and wet day when visibility is likely to be poor and not worth the effort of getting there. Stirling would have more indoor options, but if the weather should be very bad, then why not consider spending the day in Glasgow?

Easy to get to and from Greenock, there is so much to see and do in Glasgow, and public transport is easy to use. There are also Hop On/Off buses. You might be pleasantly surprised at just how much this city can offer in good weather or bad.

http://www.seeglasgow.com/

Thank you all. This has been so much help.

Alan -I agree that perhaps renting a car may be the best option. Thank you for the information regarding transit times. That really helps.

Edinburgher - I think you are right regarding your suggestion of having good weather and bad weather alternatives.

Can you tell me what weather at the end of July in Glasgow and Edinburgh tend to average?

You should be able to google mean temperatures on the net for accurate info, however it is impossible to say for sure or even to hazard a guess as to what it might be on the day.

Last summer, especially July and August, was particularly poor with lots of rainy days, not at all summerlike, but April and May were beautiful, as were September and October. By contrast this April has been cold, wet and windy most days, even when dry and sunny there has usually been a very cold wind.

Be prepared for anything.:confused:

:) Just wondering why you are not interested in spending your day in Edinburgh?..Having visted both Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond spending the day at Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile , Princes St. and Holyrood House is so much more worth it:)

:) Just wondering why you are not interested in spending your day in Edinburgh?..Having visted both Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond spending the day at Edinburgh Castle' date=' the Royal Mile , Princes St. and Holyrood House is so much more worth it:)[/quote']

I am just trying to see and do as much as possible in my limited time in Scotland.

I think I've decided that from Glasgow, I will head out and spend half the day in Loch Lomond and half the day back in Glasgow.

From Edinburgh, I will head out to Stirling and spend 1/4 of my day there, and spend the remainder of the day and night in Edinburgh

Thanks for the help.

I am just trying to see and do as much as possible in my limited time in Scotland.

I think I've decided that from Glasgow, I will head out and spend half the day in Loch Lomond and half the day back in Glasgow.

From Edinburgh, I will head out to Stirling and spend 1/4 of my day there, and spend the remainder of the day and night in Edinburgh

Thanks for the help.

Shame I won't be back in Stirling till August 1st or I'd be glad to have shown you around........the Castle , Argylls Ludging,Church of the Holy Rude,Guildhall,Old Town Jail are worth a look :)

Shame I won't be back in Stirling till August 1st or I'd be glad to have shown you around........the Castle , Argylls Ludging,Church of the Holy Rude,Guildhall,Old Town Jail are worth a look :)

Ok, I am going to start taking notes of all of these places.

Would you mind telling me if Stirling is a city where I can just walk on my own? Or do I need to get on the HOHO?

Also, if I am scheduled to be in South Queensferry from 7 am - 1 am....

1) how long is the train ride from Waverly Station in Edinburgh to Stirling?

2) if I intend to spend some time in Edinburgh as well, and I want to do Stirling in the morning, how many hours do you think I should reasonably allow for Edinburgh, considering that I would really like to see Edinburgh Castle, walk the Royal Mile, etc.

Thanks!

Train journey from Edinburgh to Stirling takes 50 minutes, you can see most things in Stirling on foot except if you want to visit the Wallace Monument which is on the edge of the city, you will still have a great view of the monument from the castle though.

Other things to consider when making your plans are that Stirling is compact as cities go, only having been designated a city in recent years it's more the size of a large town, the scenery is lovely. The roads around Loch Lomond will be busy in July, it's peak holiday season then for Scots, also many roads are narrow and winding so the driver misses out on a lot as they are so busy concentrating on the road. It's just my opinion but I find Glasgow is quite an industrial city so while there are interesting places to see it's not exactly scenic (sorry Glaswegians).

Can anyone recommend a private tour operator for this port? We are 4 adults needing some help. Its our first time at this port--we have no idea where to go and what to see. We do prefer a private tour. Or even a share!

Thank you

Steven & Rose Marie

Here are some some tour web sites mentioned by others on CC:

http://www.claymore.btinternet.co.uk/page8.html

http://www.mini-tours.com/

http://www.doodlebus.com/

• 2 months later...
I'm guessing you are on the Grand Princess and you will be in Greenock on July 31st a Thursday ?

I think that's something you have to decide but consider the transit times:

Ship to Greenock West station around 1 mile (20mins each way)

Greenock West to Glasgow Central (45mins each way)

Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen St (15 mins each way)

Glasgow Queen Street to Balloch (50mins each way)

alan - or anyone else familiar with the trip from Greenock to Glasgow....

I was told by someone else that I would need the Greenock central station and not the west station if I was going from the cruise ship pier and wanted to get to Glasgow Central.

Can anyone clarify if I would need Greenock West or Greenock Central?

Thanks!

if you intend doing the Castle, then walking the Royal Mile down to the palace, are you aware that the new (infamous for its cost) Scottish parliament is right beside the Palace. It would be a shame to visit the Palace and not go in to the parliament Building. It has many contrasting architectural features and designs and would prove such a contrast to the old Palace and even older castle. Also at the entrance to the palace is The Queen's Gallery that often has fairly interesting (if rather small) art exhibitions on. Dynamic earth is also very close to Holyrood Palace. if you had more time I'd also suggest a tour of the Royal Yacht Britannia (this was formerly the Queen's yacht and is permanently moored in Edinburgh's docks at Leith) but if you want to also see Stirling and a bit of Glasgow, you are really not going to have time.

Enjoy Scotland anyway and remember your umbrella!

alan - or anyone else familiar with the trip from Greenock to Glasgow....

I was told by someone else that I would need the Greenock central station and not the west station if I was going from the cruise ship pier and wanted to get to Glasgow Central.

Can anyone clarify if I would need Greenock West or Greenock Central?

Thanks!

Here's a link to the timetables:

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/tt/1208355203-Strath%20West%20&%20CC.pdf

For a map of the service see page 2, for the actual times check pages 25 to 31. I think you will find trains stop at both Greenock West and Greenock Central as they are on the same line.

If you Google Map Greenock you'll see where they are in relation to one another ,try this :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=greenock&ie=UTF8&ll=55.953813,-4.76017&spn=0.02345,0.073557&z=14

The cruise ship usually dock at pier near where the road A770 is indicated on the map.....you might have close the bubble indicating Greenock to see A770.....that's if the map works!

All the best

Alan

Here's a link to the timetables:

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/tt/1208355203-Strath%20West%20&%20CC.pdf

For a map of the service see page 2, for the actual times check pages 25 to 31. I think you will find trains stop at both Greenock West and Greenock Central as they are on the same line.

If you Google Map Greenock you'll see where they are in relation to one another ,try this :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=greenock&ie=UTF8&ll=55.953813,-4.76017&spn=0.02345,0.073557&z=14

The cruise ship usually dock at pier near where the road A770 is indicated on the map.....you might have close the bubble indicating Greenock to see A770.....that's if the map works!

All the best

Alan

Alan ---

you are amazing! I don't know how to thank you for this information. this is exactly what I needed.

I think it seems that Greenock West would be closer, but I will make sure to print time tables for West and Central stations so that I have them!

Archived