What's Over Hyped and What's Underrated?

curious_st

Underrated (or at least not raved about enough) - THE REUBEN!!!! mmmm, mmmm, comes in room service too if you get like way too trashed like I do and friends and family suggest you stay in your room and not be seen in the MDR or Lido!

I finally tried the Reuben on our last cruise. I took one bit and threw it out. It was mostly fat. Did not live up to the hype.

Underrated: Lido deck hot tubs, booty shaking, smoking weed on the lido at 3am, extra large rum runners, lido buffet, drink specials, shore excursions involving history.

Overrated: guys burgers, the MDR, show room entertainment, singing waiters (stop interrupting my meal, dammit) cheers, and faster to the flatulence.

Edited by lido deck larry

Definitely the Mongolian Wok...very good.

I can only assume people that love the Mongolian Wok have never been to a land-based version, because when I tried it, I thought it stunk and was so disappointed based on how it was hyped up here (and how good the one I go to is on land).

First, the line. It takes 20 minutes plus to get your food. Even if there is no line (rare), much of that is cooking time.

Second, the options stink. Very few veggies, only 3 sauces and 3 meats, and NO spices. So limited. Compare that to the options at the one I go to.

Third, the meat police. The people that cook also portion the meat, so you get tiny portions of meat. Your bowl will be mostly veggies.

Underrated:

Fish N Chips

Totally agree that Fish 'n Chips is underrated. :)

Underrated.....Fish N Chips,

Fish and Chips (the tastiest lunch I've found on lido)

Underrated is the Fish & Chips. Never a line, Good taste. Watermelon Ceviche.

Fish and Chips

2. Fish and Chips always hot

Fish & Chips - Its actually more about the space above the Lido that is quiet and underutilized.

I, too, love the Fish & Chips, but I have to take issue with everyone calling it underrated.

Exactly how is something that everyone universally raves about underrated?

I, too, love the Fish & Chips, but I have to take issue with everyone calling it underrated.

Exactly how is something that everyone universally raves about underrated?

Compare the number of mentions of Guy's Burger Joint (which is generally "overrated" in this thread) to the number of people that mention Fish and Chips. Compare the line at Guys to the line at Fish and Chips. It's here for good reason.

Compare the number of mentions of Guy's Burger Joint (which is generally "overrated" in this thread) to the number of people that mention Fish and Chips. Compare the line at Guys to the line at Fish and Chips. It's here for good reason.

Numbers are irrelevant. You seem to be confusing little known with underrated.

If everyone who tries something loves it, by definition it can't be underrated.

Just arrive at the port about 2 pm. Minimal traffic and less time waiting/checking-in than if you arrived early with FTTF. Straight to the room. Yeah you might miss one "feeding" but so what. Also no need for FTTF at tender ports if you book excursions through carnival.

One of the BEST perks of FTTF, besides going to the cabin immediately, is NO LINE at Guest Services. I actually ENJOY getting dirty looks from the guy who is 27th in line.;)

Numbers are irrelevant. You seem to be confusing little known with underrated.

If everyone who tries something loves it, by definition it can't be underrated.

Many of the ships have the 2.0 features now which include Guys Burgers and a lot of the people that do reviews mention Guys Burgers in their reviews . Some people make comments like they wont go on a ship without 2.0 features because it doesn't have Guys . Personally I was disappointed in Guys Burgers . It wasn't a bad burger but nothing I would specificly book a ship because of . The fish and chips are not on many ships so even though most of the feedback seems to be good its not beat to death like the people that like Guys .

Just off the Pride week before last:

Underrated

*Diane Ford....actually I've never seen her rated but she was HILARIOUS!

OMG!!! What ships is she on? We've seen her on the Comedy Channel & on land vacations and LOVE her! Paid good money to see her, too.:D

Over-rated:

- shows

- CD involvement

- many ports (Belize, Nassau, & Grand Cayman)

Under-rated:

- mac & cheese

- a balcony

- deli pastrami

- room service breakfast (I know it's just continental) on the balcony

- breakfast every morning in the MDR (after the room service balcony fruit & coffee)

- ATD

Underrated; I can only think of the tandoor grill. Wish they had this on more ships, if not on all. I loved it when it was on the Freedom four years ago. They took it away to make way for 2.0 changes in the last dry dock.

I was really ready to hate Guys Burgers because of this, but found out that I didn't really hate the Guy's Burgers after all, and quite enjoyed them. And while I was fully expecting to like Blue Iguana, I found it somewhat not up to my expectations. It was ok, but not that great either.

So if I were to pick an over hyped venue, I say it would be Blue Iguana Cantina. It was not bad, just not that special to me.

I been a CC member a LONG time maybe one of the best threads I have read in long time. Even a long time cruiser like myself is finding this one very interesting.

Under Rated

Deli -Tuna On Rye Love their Tuna best I Have ever had , Last cruise I think I ate one almost everyday for lunch:D

Over rated: Serenity area. On the Liberty and Freedom - too far forward, windy and can hear the blaring from the big screen.

Under rated: Promenade. Again on the Liberty and Freedom - awesome views of the ocean and not many people out on them. Much more serene IMO.

Might change my opinion on my upcoming Pride cruise though. It doesn't have chairs on the Promenade and Serenity is aft.

Our last trip out of San Juan, my friend flew in three days early and enjoyed her stay before meeting me to go on the boat.

Our next trip that either starts or end at San Juan will have a week added on for us to spend there. And what time I have spent there on previous trips was great, so I am looking forward to doing that, and maybe even adding still another week for a two week stay.

We did exactly that in San Juan. We flew in a day early, went on a 7 day southern, then stayed in Isla Verde for a week after the cruise. IMO, its the only way to do it. Otherwise My wife and I feel too rushed.

Oh, I forgot to add

Overrated: Faster to the fun. You people are paying $50 to get on the ship an hour before me. I'll just sleep in more, get to port at my leisure, and still have a fine time.

(Though it may be worth it for itineraries that see a lot of tenders).

Personally, I disagree.

While you and others are standing in line, I've already unpacked and am sitting with a cocktail on the deck.

While you and others are standing in line for tender tickets, I am already on shore enjoying the port.

While you and others are sitting in a room waiting to stand in a line to collect your luggage and go through customs, I am already off the ship, checked into my hotel and enjoying part 2 of my vacation...

My time is worth the $50.

All this forum shows is that things are not over-hyped or under-hyped. The truth of the matter is that people like different things. When you start thinking that your taste for something or dislike of other things is the standard that everyone else needs to adapt to, or Carnival needs to adapt to, you are giving yourself too much credit for being correct about what you like and/or dislike. It is a question of taste, and every business that wants to succeed needs to provide a variety of things because they know that all people do not like the same things. What the consumer needs to learn that if you don't like something, there is a big chance that many other people will like it. To make the assumption that because you do not like a Guy's burger makes it an overhyped commodity is a ridiculous position to take. It just means you don't like it. Soooo, don't eat it! Sooo, don't take a survey! Sooo, don't waste cyber-space!

Thank you and great summary. What's important to you, may not be to me and vice versa. Differences shouldn't be offensive and your tastes certainly don't trump mine......or anyone elses.

OMG!!! What ships is she on? We've seen her on the Comedy Channel & on land vacations and LOVE her! Paid good money to see her, too.:D

Diane Ford was on the Valor in March. I had to review the newsletters because that name sounded familiar. Two of my fellow cruisers also gave her good reviews. I haven't seen her, but I guess I should keep an eye out to see if she pops up anywhere else.

Thank you and great summary. What's important to you, may not be to me and vice versa. Differences shouldn't be offensive and your tastes certainly don't trump mine......or anyone elses.

I don't think that many people responding to this thread are demanding that everyone agree with them or that Carnival must change now to meet their personal desires. It should be clear that this thread is asking for individual opinions (which are all equal) as to what is over or underrated. One person thinks Blue Iguana is overrated, another thinks it's underrated. They are both right, as it is both of their opinions, and neither should be offended by the difference. I think that most people here understand this. There could be some that don't, which may have led to a few little arguments here, but I've seen far worse arguing on other threads. This one has been quite tame. Most of the "arguing" is just simply people expanding on why they feel the way they do.

What constitutes something being overrated? Too much talk about it on these boards? Personal expectations being too high? Too many people on board the ship with you going crazy for it when you thought it was just okay? Too long of a line when it's not that great? Yes...to any or all or any other reason. It's a personal opinion thread, and whatever you feel makes it over or underrated is a valid reason. Keep the opinions coming.

Edited by k2excursion

All about the timing. I have never had to stand in line to check in or get a tender. Or customs for that matter. We always self debark. And never had to pay a dime for it.

Really?

Never? Never ever on any cruise? If your timing is that acutely sharpened you are most likely in the wrong line of work.

Having worked for customs I find this difficult to fathom.

All about the timing. I have never had to stand in line to check in or get a tender. Or customs for that matter. We always self debark. And never had to pay a dime for it.

Same here. I've never waited and done exactly the same as you. If people want to brag about wasting money, let them. FTTF does help Carnivals bottom line, which I like.

Same here. I've never waited and done exactly the same as you. If people want to brag about wasting money, let them. FTTF does help Carnivals bottom line, which I like.

Never huh.

That's really remarkable. Almost unbelievable. ;)

Personally, I disagree.

While you and others are standing in line, I've already unpacked and am sitting with a cocktail on the deck.

I rarely stand in line. I show up around 12:30-1ish, breeze through security, check in, and practically walk right on the ship.

While you and others are standing in line for tender tickets, I am already on shore enjoying the port.

I said it might be worth it for tender ports. But almost every port I've been to is not a tender port.

While you and others are sitting in a room waiting to stand in a line to collect your luggage and go through customs, I am already off the ship, checked into my hotel and enjoying part 2 of my vacation...

My time is worth the $50.

My vacation is usually ending when my cruise is. I make my flight an afternoon one, enjoy a leisurely breakfast at lido, and walk of the ship later. I'm in no hurry to get off. Even if I have an early flight, I just use self assist.

Almost all the advantages of FTTF are pointless if you do a good job scheduling, if you ask me. I'd rather spend my $50 on drinks.

Then you must renounce FTTF and swear an oath never to purchase it again. Only then can we move forward.

This seems more likely the real issue.

Underrated: apparently how many people who don't buy FTTF for their cruise, grumble about those who do and are annoyed they didn't get it for themselves. Thus, convincing themselves that they never stand in line or wait for anything or other such stuff like that. ;)