Nicotine replacement products

two_black_dogs

*** also posted on Princess smoking thread, since we will be sailing Princess)

My husband has given up smoking but has not given up nicotine! He still uses Nicotine Replacement Therapy products, specifically Nicorette Quick Mist ( an oral spray).

We are travelling from Australia and spending approximately 6 weeks in USA including the two weeks of our cruise. He goes through at least four sprays a week, probably more, and we want to know if they are available in USA. I have tried searching online but can't seem to find them - other NRT products yes, but not the sprays. We usually buy from our local discount pharmacy, but they are also available here in supermarkets ( although more expensive). Can anybody advise on their availability? (where and how much would be great if you know! ) obviously if we need to I guess we could bring them with us, but it would be an expensive initial outlay, weigh a bit and take up space, all of which we would like to avoid. BTW, alternatives such as gum, patches, lozenges and strips are all out. It has to be the spray! ( but the brand can differ).

Thanks in anticipation, caz

I researched a bit for you and unfortunately don't have an easy ànswer.

This product does not appear to be available in the states. The only place to get it is amazon. It runs about $30 USD for 150ml + $2 for shipping. (Comes from the UK.) It is available in single or double packs.

That sounds expensive, so if you can get it cheaper there, I would bring with you all he will need plus plenty extra. (If it is a good deal, you could order it from amazon and have it delivered to your hotel or other location.) Be aware, if customs takes an interest in the quantity you're bringing, thinking you are going to sell it, it might help to have a note from your family doctor expressing his need for so many. And, of course, it will need to be packed in checked baggage- except one or two in your liquids baggie.

Tell him 'Congrats!' on taking such a big step on quitting, and good luck on success! (I wish it was available here for me!)

Enjoy your extended holiday!

If during your cruise you are calling at any British islands, you probably could buy it there. I have been able to find a few products in Nassau I can't buy in U.S. Are you going to Tortola, BVI's, Barbados?

Edited by sail7seas

*** also posted on Princess smoking thread, since we will be sailing Princess)

My husband has given up smoking but has not given up nicotine! He still uses Nicotine Replacement Therapy products, specifically Nicorette Quick Mist ( an oral spray).

We are travelling from Australia and spending approximately 6 weeks in USA including the two weeks of our cruise. He goes through at least four sprays a week, probably more, and we want to know if they are available in USA. I have tried searching online but can't seem to find them - other NRT products yes, but not the sprays. We usually buy from our local discount pharmacy, but they are also available here in supermarkets ( although more expensive). Can anybody advise on their availability? (where and how much would be great if you know! ) obviously if we need to I guess we could bring them with us, but it would be an expensive initial outlay, weigh a bit and take up space, all of which we would like to avoid. BTW, alternatives such as gum, patches, lozenges and strips are all out. It has to be the spray! ( but the brand can differ).

Thanks in anticipation, caz

Would an e cigarette be a possibility? They don't use tobacco, so there wouldn't be any objectionable smell to worry about. And, the e liquid comes in different levels of nicotine.

Would an e cigarette be a possibility? They don't use tobacco, so there wouldn't be any objectionable smell to worry about. And, the e liquid comes in different levels of nicotine.

That would be my vote too. My wife smoked for may years, but gave it up. She has been using e cigs for quite some time.

Because they do not smell, they can be used in your cabin or balcony.

Another poster suggested not using them in public non smoking areas as they be mistaken for regular cigarettes.

I have never heard of this spray. Interesting. I use nicotine gum when I can't smoke. Not into the e-cigs because of the hysteria of some people even seeing smoking-like appearance and because it is more trouble. Not sure I would care for the spray either.

Anyway, I don't think this spray will be available in North America.

That would be my vote too. My wife smoked for may years, but gave it up. She has been using e cigs for quite some time.

Because they do not smell, they can be used in your cabin or balcony.

Another poster suggested not using them in public non smoking areas as they be mistaken for regular cigarettes.

I don't know of any cruise line that will allow people to use e cigs in areas designated as non-smoking.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I've had a bit of discussion here and elsewhere and the consensus is that this is not available in the USA. He has tried other products before ( lozenges) and although they work to deal with nicotine cravings, they lead to very unpleasant flatulence! Not exactly what I want when cooped up in a cabin, although fortunately we do have a balcony so I guess he can "step outside" when needed!

Just in terms of the e-cig, he feels that this would be a backward step in the quit smoking process, as it is too closely related to the action of smoking. The spray is a quick squirt like a mouth freshener, very discreet and with rapid effect. I guess we have a couple of months for him to try and wean off his squirters, or if the worst comes to worst, I'll get him some charcoal tablets to deal with the farts!

Thanks again for your help,

Caz