Trujillo-Banana Coast, Honduras

gmhohio

Hi Gregg, we'll be on the Jewel with you. I must admit that I'm quite disappointed that we aren't going to Roatan, since it's my favorite port so far! I really appreciate you staring this thread to help all of us try to figure out what to do in Trujillo. Any and all info is welcome!

I wanted to pass along some information we (Nancy & I) found. Another person posted put this company on the Nov 29 cruise. We did some more research and here is what we found:

http://tranquilitybayhonduras.com/

To contact them: ljforseth@gmail.com

They are offering day passes for $20 / pp. Limit is 20 people per day!

They have snorkeling, stand up paddle boards, kayaks, and horseback rides. You can rent a cabana for the day $79 so you have a place to change, shower and store your personal belongings. Depending on the size of your group, they can arrange transportation or you can take a taxi.

A note from the owner:

Thank you for your inquiry about our lovely Caribbean resort. We are located about fifteen minutes from the cruise port which would be a short, inexpensive taxi ride. Our resort has a gorgeous beach and is very safe for children as we are located in a very protected bay. The water is warm and clear. The waterfalls are not on our resort and I would not recommend them for children.

What we do offer here is a quiet, family style experience. We have toucans, parrots, monkeys to observe, and horses for beach rides. We also have a boat for snorkelling or sight seeing. There are several areas that are shallow and perfect for children.

We have a great little restaurant here where one can order all sorts of drinks, and light lunches. Our staff have taken "food safe" and we pride ourselves in quality and service.

We have made the decision NOT to offer our resort to cruise companies so we can keep prices down, have control over the number of guests and maintain the "tranquility" for our guests that book our seaside cabanas.

I am sure you know that December can often be a bit rainy here and the water is not as warm. However, climates all over the world are changing and it is very difficult to predict.

We would be happy to have your family spend a day here and as time gets closer, perhaps we could communicate and offer you prices etc.

Hope this helps. You will find this seaside town very different from most places the cruise ships stop.

We are going on the Dec 27 cruise and will update when we come back. Jackie

I have a note to add to the information Jackie is sharing with you. We are renting a cabana for $79 for the day (it's a cute little cabin with all the amenities of a x-large hotel room + a porch and hammock overlooking the water). The retreat has 5 cabanas. When you rent a cabin/cabana, the price includes two day passes so your actual cost is an additional $39 + tax (19%) for a party of 2. If the cabana is not of interest, a party of 2 can pay $40 for 2 day passes, without a cabana. The retreat is approx. 5 miles or 15 minutes from the port - estimated cost of a taxi is $16 - $18 r/t and most taxis allow up to four passengers. Hats off to the lovely couple from Canada who own the retreat - they stand alone so their prices and the # of guests are controlled by them, not the cruise lines.

I'm appalled by the prices of the excursions that the cruise ship is offering -for a beach only ($59pp) or the park & beach is $99pp (the park is normally a minimal fee or free, however; it's closed to the general public on the days a ship is in port). Maybe this park has more to offer than I think or they serve lobster for lunch??? I do know that it's a new port and I can't fault NCL alone.

Have a great day!

Nancy.

Hi Gregg, we'll be on the Jewel with you. I must admit that I'm quite disappointed that we aren't going to Roatan, since it's my favorite port so far! I really appreciate you staring this thread to help all of us try to figure out what to do in Trujillo. Any and all info is welcome!

Lexanna,

I can't take any credit. All of the nice folks on this board have done all of the legwork. My hat is off to them.

Sent from my warped mind using an alien technologically enhanced device.

• 1 month later...

Here's another plea for those of you going there this fall to please post about what you find. I'm going there on HAL in March of 2015 and am eager to learn about all the options. The Campo de Mar looks interesting to me......

Here's another plea for those of you going there this fall to please post about what you find. I'm going there on HAL in March of 2015 and am eager to learn about all the options. The Campo de Mar looks interesting to me......

Google : tranquil bay beach resort...we're renting a cabana for the day at this private retreat ... Private owners and they limit guests to 20 for a day pass .... 15 minutes outside of town and we asked the owners to coordinate a cab for us...awesome owners and most helpful...good luck! Yes, park is nice...but u have to enjoy ship excursions :)...the park is closed to the general public when ships are at port...otherwise it's free or a minimal entry fee!

Sent from my iPhone

Nancy

On Aug 6, 2014, at 1:01 AM, "Cruise Critic Message Board Forums" <community@cruisecritic.com> wrote:

Dear Grand & Nana,

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL

You are subscribed to the thread "Trujillo-Banana Coast, Honduras" by gmhohio, there have been 2 post(s) to this thread, the last poster was RoupMom.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990772

These following posts were made to the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43644785#post43644785

Posted by: lynate

On: August 5th, 2014 02:52 PM

Following!!

Going on the Jewel December 13th.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43646451#post43646451

Posted by: RoupMom

On: August 5th, 2014 05:06 PM

All the best,

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread&subscriptionid=6468448&auth=91fcc90b807d4b6e004f68458ddd0d57Y

Google : tranquil bay beach resort...we're renting a cabana for the day at this private retreat ... Private owners and they limit guests to 20 for a day pass .... 15 minutes outside of town and we asked the owners to coordinate a cab for us...awesome owners and most helpful...good luck! Yes, park is nice...but u have to enjoy ship excursions :)...the park is closed to the general public when ships are at port...otherwise it's free or a minimal entry fee!

[/url]

Is there a cost advantage to having the owner arrange the cab?

Is there a cost advantage to having the owner arrange the cab?

No cost advantage...simply peace of mind in the event there's a language barrier! The owners are From canada and have been living in the area for several years so they know many locals which is also to our advantage...we are a group of 11 and a family of 4 whom I've communicated with on the board felt it was more comforting having everything prearranged! I'm only going by memory but I recall the cost was something like $40 rt for the entire group....the only added expense will be if we go snorkeling or rent equipment or buy drinks or fresh homemade meals at the tiki hut or restaurant on property!

I just received this email from Banana Beach Resort:

We have now put together a day pass that we are offering cruisers which you can review below.

$39 Adult Day Pass

Includes transportation to and from the cruise port (approx. 25 minutes each way)

Use of three swimming pools, tennis court, sand volleyball and clean beach

Full-sevice restaurant and bar

Beach bar

On-site security

Welcome drink

I think we are also going to check out Tranquillity Bay, but wanted to pass along the info.

I'll be there on Jewel's second visit on October 22nd. I'll be sure and do a review for those going after us. All we're doing is the tram tour and maybe a little sightseeing on foot followed by lunch if all goes well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll write up a review specifically on Trujillo shortly after I get back. We get back on a Saturday so I'll try to have it posted on Sunday. It won't be heavy on the excursion stuff as all we are doing is the tram tour of the town, probably followed by walking around on our own for a bit and getting some lunch in the town.

hey there we are also leaving houston on 01/24/2015. really needing some feedback on the excursions to see if they are worth the price.

A recommendation, look at other NCL cruise date message boards or 'search' the boards, using the keyword Banana Coast or Trujillo. When we return from our cruise, I'll post on our message board for our departure date.

Our family of 11 will be doing all private excursions:

Cozumel: Dolphin Swim (prepaid direct), which includes lunch/drinks and all day at the Chankanaab Park

Belize: half of our group is cave tubing & ATVing with Butts Up. The other half is just cave tubing with Cavetubing.bz (we formed a private group, recruiting others to join us on the CC board). Don't rule out tubing with Charlie - great reviews too.

Banana Coast (Trujillo) - we have a day pass (only 20 passes available) and a cabana for the day @ Tranquility Bay Beach Retreat. If you rent a cabana for the day, it includes (2) free day passes...$20pp for all others. We'll take a prearranged cab to the retreat, which is 15 minutes from the port. It's a privately owned retreat that is small/quaint (owners are from Canada) with a restaurant for a light lunch, Tiki Bar (featuring freshly made Pina Coladas) and rentals for kayaking, paddle board, banana boat ride, horse back riding or snorkeling on a reef.

By December, other private tour groups may form, however; it's a newly developed cruise ship port so at the present time, the majority of available excursions are only available through the cruise lines.