First Time out of Galveston

Ready 2 Go

Hello all, this will be my family of 6 first cruise out of Galveston on the Carnival Magic. We usually do the Splendor out of Long Beach because its a lot closer. I have a few questions. For the most part, I have found some good info reading posts by other cruisers. But, I need a little more personalized detail.

We will be cruising the first week of August (hurricane season???).

1. What can we expect for the weather to be like?

2. We are flying into Houston-Hobby the Saturday before our Sunday cruise. Our flight gets in about 11:30 so I figure we should be in Galveston probably by like 1. Any good places for lunch with the kids (all boys 15,11,8,3)? Also Dinner?

3. I'm still on the fence about which hotel. I heard Harbour House is in walking distance to the terminal. Is that true and how feasible/logical would it be to walk to the terminal with 4 kids and luggage for 6 in tow?

4. What other hotels, if any, are close to Harbour House?

5. Is the terminal Carnival leaves from called the Texas Cruiseship Terminal? Just curious, I printed a map left on another post and am trying to get my bearings. Our cruise doesn't leave till August 5 so I guess I have time :)

Thanks all for your help.

First, welcome to Texas and Galveston.

1. The weather will be HOT! Though being from Vegas you already know that. The difference is we have humidity. We just consider it a free sauna and facial:D

2. Arrival by 1pm is easily doable. Harbor House is on Pier 21, walking distance to the Strand and many restaurants. Yaga's on the Strand is a good place for families, but their are many good places to go on the island.

3. Easily walkable but that depends on what the kids are willing to carry.

4. The Tremont is the other hotel downtown and sister to Harbor House as well as the Hotel Galvez on Seawall. I would recommend the Galvez over the Tremont for the kids, but you are not here long. Harbor House has great views and there is a large park next to it as well as a drilling rig open for tours - well worth it! The Texas Seaport Museam and Tall Ship Elissa is between Harbor House and the Carnival dock.

5. Carnival docks at the pier nearest the Harbor House.

Enjoy Galveston and have a great cruise.

The Seawall runs along the ocean (hotels on one side, ocean on the other). We love staying at the Harbours House, you can easily walk to the terminal. By the time you get to Galveston the New Pleasure Pier will be open (look it up on the internet). The Pier is on the Seawall. There will be restaurants, rides, etc:) so you might consider staying on the Seawall. Alot of the hotels on the Seawall have shuttles to the port, but it is also an inexpensive cab ride.

The Seawall is on the opposite side of the island from the cruise terminal, but it has all the beaches and plenty of good hotels and restraunts. And, as mentioned above, the new Pleasure Pier looks to be a fun place..we cant wait to see it on our next cruise this fall!! The taxi ride to the terminal from the seawall is usually around $13 for my wife and I. Galveston has plenty to see and do, and it takes several days to see what it has to offer. We usually plan on spending 2 or 3 pre-cruise days just having fun!!!:)

We will be on the Magic a couple of weeks before you and we decided to also come in two days early to enjoy Galveston.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Maps will help!

pdficon.gifHouston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metro

dotline.gifpdficon.gif

Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map in PDF Format (note: this is a large, 11' wide, print-quality map, so please be patient):

Galveston (B&W)

You need to decide if you want to stay on

1. Gulf of Mexico Beach Area (where most hotels and motels are)

2. Historic Old Town Strand Port Area (Tremont and Harbor House)

3. Bayside Area (2) Moody Gardens Hotels (with kids consider)

4. Motels on highway coming into Galveston

In my opinion

St Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens, Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House

are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones also though!

Fairly new ones are Country Inn and Sheraton Four Points.

Others are Gaidos, La Quinta's, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Commodore, Holiday Inn, Hoiliday Inn Sunspree, Best Western, Super 8, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn and many others!

see other threads on this forum

Tremont and Harbor House are 2 blocks to terminal.

It is an easy walk if you have manageable luggage.

No difference than a walk in an airport!

Everything is close though!

Most hotel/motels are about two miles and others up to four miles

from terminal anyway.

Island is two miles wide (Port to Gulf)

Maps will help!

In my opinion

are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones also though!

Thanks ssb, how far is the San Luis from the port? Still walkable or a quickie cab ride??

San Luis is not walkable to the port. Take a taxi or use the hotel transportation.

Got it! Thanks Galveston Cruiser. I booked the San Luis, I got a really good rate for 2 nights through Priceline. So we will have a little bit longer there in Galveston. So now, off to planning some things to do that Saturday.

There is a lot to do and see in Galveston.

The Texas Seaport Museum and Tall Ship Elissa is at piers 21 -22 and well worth seeing as is the Bishop's Palace and Ashton Villa on Broadway.

Moody Gardens is another great venue on the bay side.

Check out galveston.com for thingsd to do and places to go.

• 3 weeks later...

We also took the Z Limo last month from Hobby. We stayed at the San Luis resort for 2 nites. We were there for Mardi Gras parade too. Next door to San Luis is the IHOP for Breakfast. This one is really good. Next door is also Rain Forest Cafe.. Great food and kids love the place. Also a few other places to eat right around there. If you walk about 5 minutes straight up past there, food store to buy soda water and snacks. San Luis offers a free shuttle thru their sister hotel Hilton. They don't advertise it but they told me. They have a nice shuttle . It is free but you just tip them. Nice pool outside and bar. Nice bar inside and another place to eat. They have a big parrot in cage there too. Nice spa downstairs . Loved the place. We booked a room on the 14th floor overlooking the ocean. Really nice place. If you need anyother help,feel free to ask. saveadogaday50@gmail.com We loved the Magic. Try the speciality Italian for lunch. Cucina something. It was really good. No charge for lunch just dinner. Great slide and ropes to climb upstairs. Food was great in dining room and supper club was good.

Thanks so much ooulio. This is great info. Did you find the San Luis to be clean/well kept? I ask because I read some questionable reviews on Trip Advisor about roaches in the rooms and such. Just curious. Thanks for the details about surrounding resturaunts and the store as well. Can't wait to get on the Magic. I've heard nothing but good things about the Pasta resturaunt as well. We will definitely try it for lunch and maybe dinner as well.

Got it! Thanks Galveston Cruiser. I booked the San Luis, I got a really good rate for 2 nights through Priceline. So we will have a little bit longer there in Galveston. So now, off to planning some things to do that Saturday.

Good move. I don't think that Harbor House has a pool and the boys would be disappointed for sure.

Our limo driver told us San Luis is the best hotel on the island. I also talked to other people. They all said the same thing. It is a 5 star hotel. I never saw any bugs at all. Whoever said that is a idiot. That place was so clean and immaculate. Desk Clerks at the front were great. Like I said we also took the shuttle from there. They will transfer you to Hilton for the shuttle. It is really nice shuttle. Fits a lot of people. Booked it a month ahead. You will love it. Really nice spa downstairs too. They have a good steak house too. You will love this place. Z Limo is really good too. I Hop is open 24 hours I believe Friday & Sat nites I think. If you want to go to the Steak house On the Magic, book as soon as you go on. We booked the Monday after we left. We left on Sunday. they were full. they put us on waiting list. We are Priority so we got pushed ahead . We loved it. As usual , everything was so good. Never seen one book up so fast. Any more questions, just ask.

Our limo driver told us San Luis is the best hotel on the island. I also talked to other people. They all said the same thing. It is a 5 star hotel. I never saw any bugs at all. Whoever said that is a idiot. That place was so clean and immaculate. Desk Clerks at the front were great. Like I said we also took the shuttle from there. They will transfer you to Hilton for the shuttle. It is really nice shuttle. Fits a lot of people. Booked it a month ahead. You will love it. Really nice spa downstairs too. They have a good steak house too. You will love this place. Z Limo is really good too. I Hop is open 24 hours I believe Friday & Sat nites I think. If you want to go to the Steak house On the Magic, book as soon as you go on. We booked the Monday after we left. We left on Sunday. they were full. they put us on waiting list. We are Priority so we got pushed ahead . We loved it. As usual , everything was so good. Never seen one book up so fast. Any more questions, just ask.

The San Luis is probably the best hotel on the island. We've stayed there a couple of times, but I'm in love with The Galvez. I absolutely love the ambiance.

The restaurant at the San Luis is supposed to be great! I heard the steak house there is wonderful. So glad you had a good experience on the island and down here in SE Texas! :)

Wow lots of good info here! We will be flying into Hobby also and going on the Magic - We are a party of 11 people - would z limo be a good option? Also if we stayed at San Luis they would shuttle us to Carnival port?

Thanks for all the information again

Wow lots of good info here! We will be flying into Hobby also and going on the Magic - We are a party of 11 people - would z limo be a good option? Also if we stayed at San Luis they would shuttle us to Carnival port?

Thanks for all the information again

San Luis has a shuttle to port.

Landry Hotels owns Hilton, San Luis and Hoilday Inn Resort

which are right next to each other!

Believe they do all three with one service,

Call to confirm.

You should not be dissapointed with San Luis!

Again remember

You need to decide if you want to stay on

1. Gulf of Mexico Beach Area (where most hotels and motels are)

2. Historic Old Town Strand Port Area (Tremont and Harbor House)

3. Bayside Area (2) Moody Gardens Hotels (with kids consider this)

4. Motels on highway coming into Galveston

You would not be dissapointed with

which in my opinion are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones though!

Tremont and Harbor House in the Historic Old Town Strand Port Area

are each 2 blocks to terminal.

It is an easy walk, if you have manageable luggage.

No difference than a walk in an airport!

Or use car to move luggage and people

then go back to hotel with car and walk back!

Or park possibly more securily at Park and Cruise across street

which is one block from terminal and walk over to terminal.

Easy also!!!

Fairly new ones are Country Inn and Sheraton Four Points.

Others are Gaidos, La Quinta's, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Commodore, Holiday Inn, Hoiliday Inn Sunspree, Best Western, Super 8, Hampton Inn, Quality Inn and many others!

see other threads on this forum

Everything is close though!:D

Most hotel/motels are about two miles and others up to four miles

from terminal anyway.

Island is two miles wide (Port to Gulf)

See maps in above post on this thread for orientation!

If you end up renting a car one to galveston make sure you take the kids on the ferry. they will think it is neat driving your car out on a boat. you will need to stop by a store and get them a cheap box of crackers though. they can go to the back of the ferry and feed the sea gulls. they will eat right out of your hand. our kids loved it.

Archived