What is the worst i can anticipate ...

barbeaujo

Hello,

pretty new to NCL. Did a studio on Epic, an inside on Getaway and a 2 bdrm suite on P.O.A. ( As you can see, we are a pretty versatile family ! lol )

Just changed my Feb 28th booking from an inside to a balcony for a $460 upgrade fee. We are a family of 4, so just for the square footage additional it will be well worth it. I am now assign a BX/GTY

My question, i went to see the deck plan to figure out if i could see a " bad" balcony cabin other then the real BX that are above theater. For us, a " bad" room would be a noisy room, we get to bed around 9h pm and wake up around 8h am. ( well, kids and DH do, i read from 9h to 11h and from 5ham to 8h am :D )

Is there such a thing as a bad balcony room on Getaway ? I like to think of the worst cabin ever that i could get and then be ok with what u get if i get such or can only be happy if i have something else then" the " worst cabin.

We have done many Disney cruise and they have LOTS of noisy balcony room. We found out 1 time when choosing a GTY. I dont see such a thing as above or below theater, restaurant on Getaway .. I am missing something ? Did a do a good thing or i should have paid $800 more and get a specific cabin :confused:

Need your help ! Thank you :D

earplugs are cheap - just buy some for your crowd and now you have no worries :)

In all seriousness, noise is a matter of opinion. We have been in some cabins that we were worried about and had no issues. Worst was the one I never saw a complaint about. Now we have earplugs as a permanent part of our carryon bag.

Thank you :D

I just read stories when people say that the wall were " shaking " with the disturbance of the music from some venues on other ships.

I went back to the deck plan and i honestly dont see any that could be an issue other then some on deck 8 but, they are mostly superior cat then what i took.

Time will tell i guess . It just seem too good to be true to have a $400 upgrade from the smallest room to a balcony room :cool: !

I doubt that you will have a problem BUT if you do, go to guest services and ask to be moved if at all possible. Unless the ship is 100% full, you probably can be moved to another cabin.

Wow really ! Good to know ! I didn't know that. THANK YOU !! It is weird because last week they could not change my stateroom to another one because of capacity i was told. No other stateroom that sleep 4 was available. So i assume that the ship was pretty full.

This morning, almost every category are available but as a " X" GTY, 3 mini suites, and a few insides.

Still havent figured out how this work, but in less then 2 weeks we will know :cool:

Hello,

pretty new to NCL. Did a studio on Epic, an inside on Getaway and a 2 bdrm suite on P.O.A. ( As you can see, we are a pretty versatile family ! lol )

Just changed my Feb 28th booking from an inside to a balcony for a $460 upgrade fee. We are a family of 4, so just for the square footage additional it will be well worth it. I am now assign a BX/GTY

My question, i went to see the deck plan to figure out if i could see a " bad" balcony cabin other then the real BX that are above theater. For us, a " bad" room would be a noisy room, we get to bed around 9h pm and wake up around 8h am. ( well, kids and DH do, i read from 9h to 11h and from 5ham to 8h am :D )

Is there such a thing as a bad balcony room on Getaway ? I like to think of the worst cabin ever that i could get and then be ok with what u get if i get such or can only be happy if i have something else then" the " worst cabin.

We have done many Disney cruise and they have LOTS of noisy balcony room. We found out 1 time when choosing a GTY. I dont see such a thing as above or below theater, restaurant on Getaway .. I am missing something ? Did a do a good thing or i should have paid $800 more and get a specific cabin :confused:

Need your help ! Thank you :D

I'm not a big fan of guarantees but for $800 in savings I'd risk it.:) Just know you can be on any deck, any location.

I'm not a big fan of guarantees but for $800 in savings I'd risk it.:) Just know you can be on any deck, any location.

That is what my husband told me ( the $800 ) ! Seems that balcony cabin start on deck 8 and finish on deck 14. So can't be like an inside GTY and be on a deck 2 next to crew :cool:

I am soo stressed out ! As you can see, i am really not a gambler in life, lol, but i will try to be zen and wait and see.

Guess i needed someone else to tell me i did the right choice ;)

Thank you

Edited by barbeaujo

Wow really ! Good to know ! I didn't know that. THANK YOU !! It is weird because last week they could not change my stateroom to another one because of capacity i was told. No other stateroom that sleep 4 was available. So i assume that the ship was pretty full.

This morning, almost every category are available but as a " X" GTY, 3 mini suites, and a few insides.

Still havent figured out how this work, but in less then 2 weeks we will know :cool:

Capacity = number of guests onboard not that all cabins are full.

Like your family, many guests may be sharing cabins leaving a number of other cabins empty.

Also during this time people will book and cancel. So the cruise ship may have been completely booked out and then they got a bunch of cancellations. Cancellations occur right up until the day before the cruise begins and on that day, there are usually some no-shows as well - often these are people who couldn't make the cruise due to travel problems/weather problems preventing travel/family crisis.

After boarding guests often start changing cabins for various reasons through Guest Services. Some will pay to upgrade because they want a larger cabin or may not need to pay extra to upgrade, if they paid more than the going rate of the cabin they are moving to on boarding day. Some will want to move to a different cabin for one reason or another. The important thing to remember is that if you decide you want to try to move cabins, the manner in which you handle yourself is ALL important to your success at getting moved. Being polite and friendly and explaining the problem in a calm rational way is much more likely to get your request granted if it is at all possible than being nasty or demanding. Also remember sometimes all the cabins really ARE full and, in that case, you won't be able to move at all. If that happens make the best of it. Really, things could be a lot worse than being in a so-so cabin on one of the nicest ships in the world on vacation in the Caribbean.

IMO, your husband is right. You've saved $800. You WILL get a balcony. Don't borrow trouble.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

I wouldn't want to be over the lounge on deck 8 (?) starboard side (on Breakaway it's Fat Cats--not sure on Getaway). You will not be sleeping at 9, 10, 11 or midnight if you're above it due to the vibrations from the music.

When you get your assignment look what it's near and if not good call NCL (or your TA) and ask for another cabin. Even if they say, nope sorry you booked guaranty, it never hurts to just ask.

Edited by mizlorinj

Capacity = number of guests onboard not that all cabins are full.

Like your family, many guests may be sharing cabins leaving a number of other cabins empty.

Also during this time people will book and cancel. So the cruise ship may have been completely booked out and then they got a bunch of cancellations. Cancellations occur right up until the day before the cruise begins and on that day, there are usually some no-shows as well - often these are people who couldn't make the cruise due to travel problems/weather problems preventing travel/family crisis.

After boarding guests often start changing cabins for various reasons through Guest Services. Some will pay to upgrade because they want a larger cabin or may not need to pay extra to upgrade, if they paid more than the going rate of the cabin they are moving to on boarding day. Some will want to move to a different cabin for one reason or another. The important thing to remember is that if you decide you want to try to move cabins, the manner in which you handle yourself is ALL important to your success at getting moved. Being polite and friendly and explaining the problem in a calm rational way is much more likely to get your request granted if it is at all possible than being nasty or demanding. Also remember sometimes all the cabins really ARE full and, in that case, you won't be able to move at all. If that happens make the best of it. Really, things could be a lot worse than being in a so-so cabin on one of the nicest ships in the world on vacation in the Caribbean.

IMO, your husband is right. You've saved $800. You WILL get a balcony. Don't borrow trouble.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It is very appreciated. I now know more then i did this morning :cool:

I will stop worrying and like you say, there are worst place to be then on a ship :D ( In montreal this morning it is -36 Celisus with wind factor and it has been snowing for the last 48 hrs )

Altough our sleeping time is precious to us ( we are boring people that like to sleep, eat, and sleep again ) i am sure we will manage to make it work. I went again online and honestly, of all the stateroom on deck plan, the only deck that worries me is deck 8, but then again only about 50% of it. The other part seems fine. I live a good life, i will have a good staterrom :cool::cool:

I wouldn't want to be over the lounge on deck 8 (?) starboard side (on Breakaway it's Fat Cats--not sure on Getaway). You will not be sleeping at 9, 10, 11 or midnight if you're above it due to the vibrations from the music.

When you get your assignment look what it's near and if not good call NCL (or your TA) and ask for another cabin. Even if they say, nope sorry you booked guaranty, it never hurts to just ask.

Thank you ! I was focusing on the theater and forgot that bar can something also be loud. I would have never taught to call and ask with a GTY but my parent just now told me also they did a few weeks back ( they are on the same cruise as us ) because they were above the theater and on different floor then us, and were able to be moved to a cabin 2 doors down from us ( when we had an inside ) . They wanted to surprise us with that new cabin assignment and be closer to the kids .. Guess now the surprise will no longer be there but, they did get a better room even if i had told them not to bother to call, a gty was what it was, bla bla bla )

They showed me wrong ! And i am suppused to be the " experimented" cruiser of the family :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It is very appreciated. I now know more then i did this morning :cool:

I will stop worrying and like you say, there are worst place to be then on a ship :D ( In montreal this morning it is -36 Celisus with wind factor and it has been snowing for the last 48 hrs )

Altough our sleeping time is precious to us ( we are boring people that like to sleep, eat, and sleep again ) i am sure we will manage to make it work. I went again online and honestly, of all the stateroom on deck plan, the only deck that worries me is deck 8, but then again only about 50% of it. The other part seems fine. I live a good life, i will have a good staterrom :cool::cool:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get 12302! I got it in November as a guarantee and was by myself. It had king, a couch and a bed in the ceiling. Balcony was extra long because of a slant in the metal structure.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get 12302! I got it in November as a guarantee and was by myself. It had king, a couch and a bed in the ceiling. Balcony was extra long because of a slant in the metal structure.

LOVE big balconies !! I went and look, you really lucked out with that cabin ! Wow . I will keep you posted when i am assign :cool: .. And don't untie those fingers of yours, only 19 days left ;)