Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjoku View Post
At the moment, I am sitting in my stateroom looking out at Bermuda!

Unfortunately, I am also wearing a hideous cast on my foot.

While on a guided tour, I stepped wrong and snap. The stairs were uneven and the ground at the bottom of the step was kind of dug out and irregular. Our guide said a woman split her knee open at that spot and that it had been brought to the attention of the government to fix. Anyways.

I got a nice tour of the infirmary. Very cool. They seem to be very well prepared. Since I was injured off the ship and not on a Carnival excursion, we had to pay for the service. $90 for a doctors visit. Total of $294 for doctors visit, x-rays, pain meds, and the cast. A fraction of what I would have paid in the states at an ER, but I was surprised that they didn't accept any kind of insurance. I was also surprised that everything was just charged to our sign and sail account.

Crutches could be rented for a $50 deposit. Crutches really aren't practical on a ship. Besides the fact that ones balance is compromised by the movement of the ocean, there is just an insane amount of walking. Still they are handy for getting around the room.

Ultimately, we rented a wheelchair as well. Not a motorized one, just a regular wheelchair. It cost $175 ($50 which is refunded after returning the chair).

We do have travel insurance. . . not really sure if they will cover anything or not. Guess we'll find out when we get home.

Anyways, it has been interesting!
Sorry for the mishap. I doubt if any ship accepts insurance, they are not in the billing business. I guess whatever travel insurance you have will reimburse you.

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKsDogWalker View Post
Wow... I am so sorry. Glad you are taking it so well. I would be a basketcase! Yay for you!

As far as insurance... I just checked my health insurance (i live in Michigan and have private insurance through my employer) and they do pay for out-of-country charges for "medical". I am not sure if they cover wheelchairs or things like that but the "medical" stuff would be covered (good to know). Thank you to the OP for prompting me to check.
Out of the country expenses, probably. But, do expenses on a ship fall under this catagory?

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry about your accident. Acually sort of sucks. Interesting to me about renintg a wheelchair.

I agree with you about the facilities. Last week on the Splendor I have a temporary cronw break and I went down there to see if they could put it back on,,they could have had it not been broken. While down there the nurse let me look around,,amazing facility. ICUs, xrays, probaby a better clinic then some of the cities we went though while in Mexico.
HAL Eurodam 2008 Northern Europe
CCL Paradise 2010 Baja Mexico
CCL Splendor 2012 booked for Mexican Riviera

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserNC View Post
Glad you are ok and seem to be taking it in stride......

In Stride

DCL - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014
NCL - Pearl, November 2010
CCL - Pride, September 2012, Thanksgiving 2013

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOnRon View Post
Sorry about your accident. Acually sort of sucks. Interesting to me about renintg a wheelchair.

I agree with you about the facilities. Last week on the Splendor I have a temporary cronw break and I went down there to see if they could put it back on,,they could have had it not been broken. While down there the nurse let me look around,,amazing facility. ICUs, xrays, probaby a better clinic then some of the cities we went though while in Mexico.
I would assume that it was broken they needed a dentist to make a new one. They prob had cement to place it but temporaries are custom to fit your tooth.

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

I too am very sorry you got hurt! Posters are right if you work and have insurance through your company, once you set foot outside of the US they don't pay a thing, so I am indeed glad you have travel insurance. Make sure you keep all your paperwork. They even pay for things such as...you had to take a different flight and you had a change charge.
Once you get home think about getting a medical scooter. I am sitting here with a broken ankle and they were a godsend. I bought one on Craigslist, one via insurance and one loaner (I live in a 3 level split). The scooter is so much better than crutches or a walker, doesn't wear you out so. I don't have to use one now as am able to put weight on the ankle...so you will see plenty on Craigslist.
Best of luck, eat lots of protein and hopefully you are being pampered by a loved one, Lydia of Ohio

MySpace-Countdowns
NCL
Carnival Elation 4/13/2015 from the Big Easy
NCL Spirit to Barcelona/Canary Islands/Morocco 4/6/2014
Carnival Breeze 2/16/2013...a Cove woo hoo!
Carnival Valor 2/2012 Plantinum, yea!
Carnival Glory 3/2011
Carnival Miracle 3/2010
NCL Dawn 4/2009
NCL Sun 2/2008
NCLA, Pride of Hawaii 5/2007
Carnival Pride Mexican Riveriera 4/2005
Carnival Legend Exotic W. Caribbean 11/2003
Carnival Spirit Exotic S. Caribbean 2/2002
Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean 10/2000
Carnival Destiny Eastern Caribbean 11/1998
Dolphin Line, Seabreeze South America 5/1995
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 10/1993
Carnival Celebration Eastern Caribbean 02/1992

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Best wishes on a speedy, full recovery.

I hope you let us know how this all works out.

Thanks for the info.

LEGEND 11/29/03, GLORY 3/5/05, LEGEND 3/1/06, LIBERTY 3/3/07, MIRACLE 2/27/08 CC "3 Saints And a Miracle", FREEDOM 2/28/09 CC "8-Days of Freedom" with Samatha Brown & The Travel Channel, DREAM 2/27/10 "Caribbean Dreamin' ", GLORY 2/27/11 Co-Hosting "Fun 'N' Glory" CC Cruise and John Heald's Blogger Cruise, Official CC Cruise Host "3 Saints and a Miracle, Part Deux" 3/9/12, BREEZE 3/2/13 "The Penguin goes Platinum",VALOR 3/16/14 "Sister's & Sib's",CONQUEST 2/21/15 "8-Days of Freedom...err Conquest"

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjoku View Post
At the moment, I am sitting in my stateroom looking out at Bermuda!

Unfortunately, I am also wearing a hideous cast on my foot.

While on a guided tour, I stepped wrong and snap. The stairs were uneven and the ground at the bottom of the step was kind of dug out and irregular. Our guide said a woman split her knee open at that spot and that it had been brought to the attention of the government to fix. Anyways.

I got a nice tour of the infirmary. Very cool. They seem to be very well prepared. Since I was injured off the ship and not on a Carnival excursion, we had to pay for the service. $90 for a doctors visit. Total of $294 for doctors visit, x-rays, pain meds, and the cast. A fraction of what I would have paid in the states at an ER, but I was surprised that they didn't accept any kind of insurance. I was also surprised that everything was just charged to our sign and sail account.

Crutches could be rented for a $50 deposit. Crutches really aren't practical on a ship. Besides the fact that ones balance is compromised by the movement of the ocean, there is just an insane amount of walking. Still they are handy for getting around the room.

Ultimately, we rented a wheelchair as well. Not a motorized one, just a regular wheelchair. It cost $175 ($50 which is refunded after returning the chair).

We do have travel insurance. . . not really sure if they will cover anything or not. Guess we'll find out when we get home.

Anyways, it has been interesting!
I broke my foot on a Carnival excursion and the care on the ship was free, no charges on my S&S at all. A fringe benefit of booking a Carnival excursion that I was not aware of. Nice surprise though.

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessBoss View Post
Out of the country expenses, probably. But, do expenses on a ship fall under this catagory?

Yes. It's all based on where the ship is registered.

A lot of private health insurances will cover it as an out of network provider. It just depends on the company and the rules. I worked for CF BCBS for Maryland and BCBS has a special phone number and department for people needing info or needing to submit claims for out of country medical care. It's always best to check with your private insurance before travelling to see if they have any type of coverage for you in case something happens. It makes taking care of it when you get home a lot easier if you already have an idea of what you need to do. ALWAYS get a detailed receipt from the ship's infirmary because they need all of the info they can get about your treatment or care. They absolutely have to have a DX (diagnosis) code and a CPT/HCPC (procedure code) and ususally want a detailed description of the procedure to verify your level of coverage.

Past Cruises:

Carnival Sunshine 5/2/2014- 8 day, Carnival Fascination 12/5/2013- 4 day (1st solo!), Carnival Pride 9/29/2013 7 day, Carnival Glory 5/24/2013- CTN, Carnival Legend 1/27/2013- 7 day, Carnival Fascination 11/24/2012- 5 day My review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...al+fascination, Carnival Inspiration 1/24/2011- 5 day