Best cruise line for multigenerational family

OliviaMoss

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best cruise lines to accommodate a family trip. There will be about 15-20 persons ages ranging from 2-50+. We are thinking possibly Caribbean or Alaskan itineraries and would like a cruise line that caters to both kids and adults.

Any help will be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Talk to the parents of the 2 year old to see if they need daycare. If so, Cunard and carnival have drop off programs for 2 year olds. Princess allowed under 3 to attend the kids club with parental supervision (you should double check if this is still the case since they've recently redesigned their kids clubs). All Disney ships, new or refurbished royal caribbean ships and the Norwegian escape have nurseries you can pay to leave kids under 3. the nurseries have a limited number of slots available so sign up asap (this is prior to sailing on Disney, and on the first day the kids club is open on rc)

Talk to the parents of the 2 year old to see if they need daycare. If so, Cunard and carnival have drop off programs for 2 year olds. Princess allowed under 3 to attend the kids club with parental supervision (you should double check if this is still the case since they've recently redesigned their kids clubs). All Disney ships, new or refurbished royal caribbean ships and the Norwegian escape have nurseries you can pay to leave kids under 3. the nurseries have a limited number of slots available so sign up asap (this is prior to sailing on Disney, and on the first day the kids club is open on rc)

Ok thank you. Daycare will be needed. On Royal Caribbean are kids over 3 free?

You usually have to pay for 3rd and 4th passenger fares (although if any member of your party is traveling alone, you can book a kid with them, and have them sleep in the parent's room) but the actual kids club is free for children over the age of 3 during the day, with a fee after 10 pm. The children must be potty trained.

You need to find a ship with a Babies and Tots nursery, and this is very confusing because all RC ships have a Royal Babies and Royal tots program which is a mommy-and-me class, not a drop off program. There is also an in-room babysitting program, which needs to be scheduled 24 hours in advance and is subject to staff availability (crew members give up their breaks to babysit when they are free).

Oh, and cruises are great for multigenerational families - you'll have a wonderful time! My son has loved cruising at 2 and 3.

I have cruised on RCL and Carnival. I personally prefer RCL, BUT we are cruising Carnival next month because they will offer free sitting for 2-year-olds. I am fine with the decision and know we'll have fun with my mom and dad (late 60s) and our tween boy.

RCI's kids club are open to kids 3 and over...no charge. Some of the ships do have a 'nursery" for the under-3's.

As far as WHERE you want to go...do you want relaxation and sun, or port-heavy excursions....Alaska is ALL about the ports...not so much about the ship. The Caribbean is much more "laid-back"..as the islands are more similar than different, as far as "offerings" go. Plenty of beaches, sun and fun.

Before you book anything, I'd decide WHERE I was going. Possibly, a guidebook on both destinations would help you decide!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best cruise lines to accommodate a family trip. There will be about 15-20 persons ages ranging from 2-50+. We are thinking possibly Caribbean or Alaskan itineraries and would like a cruise line that caters to both kids and adults.

Any help will be appreciated!

What time of year are you looking to cruise? Christmas break/Spring Break? If yes, you won't be able to visit Alaska since their season runs from May- September. So that might make the decision for you...

What port will you be leaving from? Do you want a port within driving distance or will everyone be flying to your embarkation port? Passports for everyone or no? That will determine which port you can leave from as well (if no passport, then can't leave from Vancouver or Victoria for an Alaskan cruise).

Like others have mentioned- if going to Alaska, it's all about the ports, not so much the ship.

Caribbean cruise ships will have more to offer onboard (fun water areas with water slides, maybe you'd like some rock climbing, zip lines, etc.) so ship selection is important.

What is the age breakdown- multiple toddlers? Only 1 toddler and a bunch of teens? I was going to suggest a Disney ship, but if you have a bunch of teens they may be bored... :confused:

What time of year are you looking to cruise? Christmas break/Spring Break? If yes, you won't be able to visit Alaska since their season runs from May- September. So that might make the decision for you...

What port will you be leaving from? Do you want a port within driving distance or will everyone be flying to your embarkation port? Passports for everyone or no? That will determine which port you can leave from as well (if no passport, then can't leave from Vancouver or Victoria for an Alaskan cruise).

Like others have mentioned- if going to Alaska, it's all about the ports, not so much the ship.

Caribbean cruise ships will have more to offer onboard (fun water areas with water slides, maybe you'd like some rock climbing, zip lines, etc.) so ship selection is important.

What is the age breakdown- multiple toddlers? Only 1 toddler and a bunch of teens? I was going to suggest a Disney ship, but if you have a bunch of teens they may be bored... :confused:

Thank you I didn't take note of the time period for the Alaskan cruise so that will definitely narrow down our decision. There are multiple toddlers age 2,4, and one child age 7. There are no teenagers and the remainder of persons are in their thirties and forties so it is likely the Caribbean will be the best destination and we would definitely like an active ship!

Thank you I didn't take note of the time period for the Alaskan cruise so that will definitely narrow down our decision. There are multiple toddlers age 2,4, and one child age 7. There are no teenagers and the remainder of persons are in their thirties and forties so it is likely the Caribbean will be the best destination and we would definitely like an active ship!

What port would you like to leave from? The farther north you are- the less Caribbean you'll see. So, if you leave from NY or Baltimore you'll only get as far as the Bahamas for the most part. If you leave from a Florida port, your options are endless...

And also - is your family mostly interested in beaches or would you like to see Mayan ruins or cities like Cartagena (it's easier to organize the beaches but so far you seem to have very few restrictions). If you tell us the departure port like Diane mentioned and what you'd like to do we might be of more help.

And also - is your family mostly interested in beaches or would you like to see Mayan ruins or cities like Cartagena (it's easier to organize the beaches but so far you seem to have very few restrictions). If you tell us the departure port like Diane mentioned and what you'd like to do we might be of more help.

Thanks everyone for your help.

We are open to the Mayan Ruins for sure. Beaches are not a big deal and we aren't interested in The Bahamas, other Caribbean destinations are fine. For ports, ruling out Alaska, we are open to Florida ports Tampa, Orlando, Miami, and Ft Lauderdale.

The main decision really is what cruise line and ship would be the most accommodating for everyone in such a large party.