BOLT bus from Vancouver to Seattle - thoughts?

PopsFromPA

Anybody out there used this BOLT before? Ticket prices are reasonable, only about $20 to go from Vancouver to downtown Seattle. The website says they allow baggage under bus, as we will each have a carry-on plus a checked bag from the trip.

Wife and I are arriving in Vancouver in July on Norwegian Sun. Plan is to get a bus from Vancouver to Seattle downtown or SEA-TAC and pick up rental car there. I found that a lot of rental car outfits don't allow pickup in Vancouver and drop off at LAX, which is where we want to fly out of after driving down the coast. This seems like a better alternative.

Anybody out there used this BOLT before? Ticket prices are reasonable, only about $20 to go from Vancouver to downtown Seattle. The website says they allow baggage under bus, as we will each have a carry-on plus a checked bag from the trip.

Wife and I are arriving in Vancouver in July on Norwegian Sun. Plan is to get a bus from Vancouver to Seattle downtown or SEA-TAC and pick up rental car there. I found that a lot of rental car outfits don't allow pickup in Vancouver and drop off at LAX, which is where we want to fly out of after driving down the coast. This seems like a better alternative.

Why not use Quickshuttle? It goes from the pier directly to SeaTac . Bolt bus runs from the bus terminal to Seattle.

Used Bolt several times - they are by far the best bus company running in the area. Newest fleet, comfiest seats, all buses have WiFi. Plus they're almost always the cheapest (occasionally Greyhound is less for a couple thanks to '2 for 1' pricing) and ALWAYS cheaper than QS for a superior onboard service.

Two of you can easily pay for a cab from pier to bus station (~CAD$15), and another from bus station to SeaTac (US$40), and have enough cash left over for drinks or even lunch based on the usual Bolt price compared to QS - heck, it's possible for 2 people to get all the way from Vancouver pier to SeaTac for the price of one QS ticket (US$59) if you use LINK!

Edit - but since your original plan was a rental car, firstly check downtown Seattle offices (no Seatac extra fee, and also save the time & funds getting from downtown) and secondly be sure you look at ALL the rental offices in Vancouver not just your preferred brand. While I agree that it's generally cheaper to rent in the US, and definitely some rental franchises will not allow BC-rented cars to go beyond WA, or WA/OR, there are some who allow thew whole West Coast including CA, and others with 'anywhere in the US' rentals.

If you're a Costco member use their travel arm to check car rentals. also, don't forget about Bellingham - service to the airport there is a VERY useful element of QuickShuttle's services and you may find you can get a one-way rental just over the border that works for you instead of going all the way to SeaTac on a bus.

Thoughts....

• Research Quick Shuttle schedule times. Research Bolt bus schedules. Which one fits your needs better?
  • Bolt bus advertises lower rates.... but those rates depends on when you book.
  • Quick Shuttles price includes pickup at the cruise terminal and option to SeaTac. ($43 vs $59)
  • Quick Shuttle offers additional discount if you get a return ticket.
    http://www.quickcoach.com/fares.htm

Used Bolt several times - ...

Edit - but since your original plan was a rental car, firstly check downtown Seattle offices (no Seatac extra fee, ....

Actually I was looking at prices and found that it's cheaper to pick up in downtown compared to SEA-TAC. Also won't need to find additional transportation to the airport.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Very good ideas to look into here.

Amtrak is more scenic

My wife would prefer the train but the two [current] departure times are 6:30 AM and 5-something in the afternoon. Maybe they'll run more trains in the summer, I'll have to check their schedule closer to departure date.

My wife would prefer the train but the two [current] departure times are 6:30 AM and 5-something in the afternoon. Maybe they'll run more trains in the summer, I'll have to check their schedule closer to departure date.

No, those are the times and they haven't run additional trains in years past. They schedule a number of buses that many people confuse with trains - the schedules apparently aren't clear enough for some.

Note Bolt Bus drops you on a street corner in Seattle, not in any station. Their location is a couple of blocks from King Street Station (Amtrak) and close to the International District/Chinatown tunnel station for various buses or the light rail. I don't know of any rental car offices that are within walking distance (there might be, I just don't know of any) so you'd have to figure out the "last mile" that might involve a hike or a taxi/Uber ride, or schlepping bags down into the light rail tunnel, then back up at the other end. https://goo.gl/maps/Bh7UGQj2Ez12

Edited by Gardyloo

you will save substantial money by renting downtown and not at Seatac. You save some tax and fees. Especially the rental car facility charge. On a longer rental the fees add up. Look at

Kayak.com

or similar and put in Seattle vs Seatac to see a comparison. I also like Costco to compare or hotwire. There are almost all the rental firms located in the Macy's garage on 3rd and Pine right downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
Why not use Quickshuttle? It goes from the pier directly to SeaTac . Bolt bus runs from the bus terminal to Seattle.

I thought I've seen both Bolt Bus and Quickshuttle at the Vancouver cruise terminal. Any thoughts?

I thought I've seen both Bolt Bus and Quickshuttle at the Vancouver cruise terminal. Any thoughts?

It's never been a Bolt stop - but it's quite possible that Bolt-branded buses were rented to shuttle folks to YVR as overpriced cruise transfers, or even SEA (for much more reasonably-priced cruise transfers). Quickshuttle buses could likewise be their own 9:00am express to SEA or a rented bus for shuttling.