Jason Montague Explorer Town Hall 4/15/2017

giustot

Regent President and CEO Jason Montague held a town hall meeting with passengers today on the Explorer. It was one of Regent's 25th Anniversary cruises. Others on the cruise please add your thoughts.

I didn't see any big news out of it. He did say the plan is to have the 2020 world cruise on the Mariner. And he reiterated the expectation that another ship like the Explorer will sail in 2020. They're calling it Explorer 2 until it gets an official name. He plans to have a contest to name the new ship and the winner will get to cruise on the christening voyage. The name of the ship must end in er or or.

When Jason asked people which ship was their favorite, they were pretty evenly split. But the Explorer seemed to be the least favorite, which surprised me since it is the newest and most expensive ship in the fleet, billed as the most luxurious ship on the seas. Passengers complained about sight lines in the theater, closet space in the G cabins, and the shallow stairway/elevator landing on deck 5 aft, all problems which Jason acknowledged.

Jason asked passengers how they liked the new customized Compass Rose menu and most were very happy with it. He also pointed out that Regent and Norwegian now produce their own production shows and use a training stage in Tampa. Personally, I think the quality of the productions shows has improved as a result.

Jason also talked about world security issues that have resulted in the cancellations os some ports. He doesn't see sailing out of Istanbul for the near future, nor sailing in Egypt. But he said Regent may put Kusadasi back on the list.

He also said Regent plans to upgrade its own website by the end of this quarter. As for wifi on board, Jason said they have increased bandwidth but there are still some technical issues with tracking satellites from a moving ship. For my perspective, some days the internet is just fine and some days it's horrible.

One passenger asked about why ESPN is not available on board. Jason said it was a matter of cost.

There was also discussion of different pricing for Americans, Australians and Europeans. Each group seems to think they are getting the short end. But Jason said the price differential is mostly determined by airfare. Americans get business class air included, Europeans do not.

Some people brought up the relative lack of tours for the mobility impaired. Jason said those guests should work directly with the destinations staff before and during the cruise.

Jason also said Regent has no plans to do expedition cruises or river cruises.

The town hall was very cordial and most passengers were pleased with the new ship.

If you'd like to see some pictures of the food, the ship and the ports you're welcome to look at my Facebook page which is public. https://www.facebook.com/tom.giusto.16

One passenger noted that he had "a list" of improvement suggestions but Jason shut him down and suggested they discuss it later after the town hall. I, for one, would have liked to hear this passenger's ideas and I think others might have, too.

One passenger noted that he had "a list" of improvement suggestions but Jason shut him down and suggested they discuss it later after the town hall. I, for one, would have liked to hear this passenger's ideas and I think others might have, too.

I agree, what is the reason for a town hall unless you answer all questions. Other wise it's a PR event for Regent.

HongHongAlan, thanks for taking the time during your cruise for posting.

Rick

Thank you for the great summary of the Town Hall Meeting. In terms of the ship, obviously everyone has their own views and there could never be agreement (I love Explorer - others do not ...... I do not like Navigator - other love it, etc.)

I understand why Jason shut down the person with a list of improvements - after all, this was a Q & A session - not a session to discuss a list of improvements. I'm sure that all of us would have suggestions and again, one person's suggestions could be the complete opposite of another person's suggestions.

Interesting about the Mariner doing the WC in 2020 - I did hear a "hint" of that while onboard. She is obviously a better choice than the Navigator (IMHO). I do wonder if that announcement could cause some passengers to cancel the 2018 or 2019 WC due to some of the issues that came up regarding doing the current WC on the Navigator.

I'm happy that he discussed security issues. I did hear that the last time a meeting was done onboard Explorer. There is much more security going on than passengers realize which is a good thing.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

P.S. Rick, think that you have your posters mixed up, the Thread Starter is giustot - your slight error did give me a chuckle as it is something that I sometimes do while posting.

I understand why Jason shut down the person with a list of improvements - after all, this was a Q & A session - not a session to discuss a list of improvements. I'm sure that all of us would have suggestions and again, one person's suggestions could be the complete opposite of another person's suggestions.

P.S. Rick, think that you have your posters mixed up, the Thread Starter is giustot -

Your right I did, sorry giustot. I disagree about shut down, Jason should listen to all not just what he wants to hear. If it when on to long then I'd agree-but how do you know unless you listen to the customer that is paying for the cruise and is paying part of Jason's salary(in a way, no cruiser's - no money for pay checks).

Sorry one more thing, you and I were not on the ship.Kwaj girl was and she waned to hear more - that should count more than what you or I think.

Rick

I agree, in townhall meetings people want to hear what others want to know or if he wanted to save the list until the end so others could hear or those that wanted to stay that should've been an option. Hold those questions to the end and maybe he would answer them. He is paid to listen to his customers. Heck it wasn't going to be a filibuster. LOL. Some CEO's will stay afterwards or the allotted time to listen and answer questions. Not shut people down.

Miles

To add a little bit more, Jason asked the audience how many people feel Explorer is their favorite ship. I would say no more than 10% of the people raised their hands. I'm sure he got the message that there are issues with his brand new ship that need to be addressed.

He said at the outset that he didn't want to get into specific detailed problems and I think that was correct. Noises in the library and automatic doors that don't work right are really not his domain. Larger problems are, and I think he heard about those from the passengers.

I also think as President and CEO what he can say publicly about problems with the ship is very limited. He can't say anything that might cause people not to sale on the Explorer.

When we chatted a bit after the meeting Jason said the many of the issues with the Explorer were a matter of personal opinion and personal preference. But I really think he understands it's more than that.

Personally, I think the Explorer is an excellent ship even though there were some design problems that never should have happened. I certainly would sail on it again, although I would be sure to get a cabin in the forward half of the ship to avoid the aft elevator and stairway inability to access deck 4.

Tom.

Included Excursions

Tom - Thx for posting that Jason recommended contacting the Destinations staff regarding limited mobility excursions. I have noticed these to be disappearing and it is difficult. I know that in some ports these are difficult to arrange but they need to give this some serious thought given their demographic.

Another thing I have noticed is that several excursions that were "included" as free 1-2 years ago now have an upcharge which is a bit troubling

Like that game:

Explorer - Sail

Voyager - Marry

Navigator - Sink

I do like Mariner but not as much as Explorer or Voyager. We need another category:D

To address another post, personally I'm glad that Regent does not spend the money to broadcast ESPN.

P.S. Also trying to catch up on recorded shows. Had to laugh about non-alcoholic wine to drink with your cat. I drink regular wine and my kitties sit on my lap and eat cheese (they don't like wine). Interestingly, Shark Tank is a show that my husband will watch with me (he generally watches history, wars, etc. while I watch reality shows). One question...... did the Sharks buy into the non-alcoholic wine?

To address another post, personally I'm glad that Regent does not spend the money to broadcast ESPN.

P.S. Also trying to catch up on recorded shows.

Off topic for a minute, but the computer maintenance geek we use suggested we give up TV for a while. He did several years ago and said it was the best decision he ever made. We decided to give it a try. It has been two months now and, believe it or not, we don't miss it. Old habits don't die as hard as we thought they would.

Giustot:

Excellent overall summary of Jason's main points and responses to his audience. The theater was almost-full, and I heard several questions directed from the visually-sight-lined challenged balcony section.

As to naming the 2020 ship, currently designated Explorer II (or 2): Given limitations as to the last two letters, probably 600 people will suggest "Adventurer". Now, maybe that number will increase. John, the great Cruise Director, and I had a brief post-Jason talk meeting. He mentioned Adventurer is currently in the front runner.

So--I suggested, given the CEO's mission to encourage repeat customers on all ships, consider thinking outside the box:

"Terminator" The person christening the ship will break all tradition as well as a bottle of bubbly at that ceremony. That would be none-other than Arnold S. And, his comments would include: "I'll be Back!"

John took my great idea to heart--and repeated it to the audience when doing that evening's introduction at the special event.

GoArmy!

Giustot:

Excellent overall summary of Jason's main points and responses to his audience. The theater was almost-full, and I heard several questions directed from the visually-sight-lined challenged balcony section.

As to naming the 2020 ship, currently designated Explorer II (or 2): Given limitations as to the last two letters, probably 600 people will suggest "Adventurer". Now, maybe that number will increase. John, the great Cruise Director, and I had a brief post-Jason talk meeting. He mentioned Adventurer is currently in the front runner.

So--I suggested, given the CEO's mission to encourage repeat customers on all ships, consider thinking outside the box:

"Terminator" The person christening the ship will break all tradition as well as a bottle of bubbly at that ceremony. That would be none-other than Arnold S. And, his comments would include: "I'll be Back!"

John took my great idea to heart--and repeated it to the audience when doing that evening's introduction at the special event.

GoArmy!

Still laughing over the "Terminator"....too funny!

Giustot - great write-up, you covered all of the salient points, I believe.

I think Jason was very accommodating with all of his answers, absolutely more gracious and tolerant than I would have been! While I agree that everyone should have a voice, the audience also needs to respect Jason's time as well as the time of everyone else in the town hall. Many of the questions being asked weren't really CEO type questions, IMHO. For example, asking about Regent's overall strategy possibilities of branching out into expedition or other types of markets was definitely CEO material. Asking why the bathroom floor is raised 4" over the main cabin floor - not so much. Many of the questions asked would have been better answered by the appropriate staff on board, not in a Town Hall being attended by hundreds of passengers.

I do believe that Jason addressed most of the questions asked, and I'm also confident that he, or someone from Regent, circled back with the folks asking the questions.

I have to say that I find Explorer absolutely stunning, the cabins (F2 in our case) well laid out and beautifully appointed, and the service is better than I've seen it in years. The staff has dealt marvelously with my mother's mobility issues and her husband's severe food allergies. Except for the raging downpour in Kotor today, this might be one of our best cruises ever.

I'm looking forward to being back onboard in August.

Giustot:

GoArmy!

Since all the names of Regent's ships are copies of Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas class, i.e. Navigator of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, and Explorer of the Seas, of course it will be a copy of RCCL's Adventurer of the Seas. I wonder why Regent cannot come up with something original?

Bill, thanks also for a wonderful wrap up of Jason's session. Nice, also to hear the Explorer team is taking good care of your family.

Spoke with the CEO of NCL within the last month, mentioned that Silversea seems to have the majority of the cruising luxury (not considering boutique lines) expedition market to themselves (except (if I recall correctly) Crystal doing NWP (Northwest Passage) and Seabourn (Quest) going to Antarctica with zodiac landings. FDR, CEO told me Regent is considering entering the expedition market (but as FDR said the expedition market is a tough one to be successful in) and in particular he is having his smart folks look at converting the Navigator to an expedition ship. Please, note Regent's team are in the research mode now (no commitments for a Regent Expedition ship yet).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giustot - great write-up, you covered all of the salient points, I believe.

I think Jason was very accommodating with all of his answers, absolutely more gracious and tolerant than I would have been! While I agree that everyone should have a voice, the audience also needs to respect Jason's time as well as the time of everyone else in the town hall. Many of the questions being asked weren't really CEO type questions, IMHO. For example, asking about Regent's overall strategy possibilities of branching out into expedition or other types of markets was definitely CEO material. Asking why the bathroom floor is raised 4" over the main cabin floor - not so much. Many of the questions asked would have been better answered by the appropriate staff on board, not in a Town Hall being attended by hundreds of passengers.

I do believe that Jason addressed most of the questions asked, and I'm also confident that he, or someone from Regent, circled back with the folks asking the questions.

I have to say that I find Explorer absolutely stunning, the cabins (F2 in our case) well laid out and beautifully appointed, and the service is better than I've seen it in years. The staff has dealt marvelously with my mother's mobility issues and her husband's severe food allergies. Except for the raging downpour in Kotor today, this might be one of our best cruises ever.

I'm looking forward to being back onboard in August.

So happy to hear that you are enjoying your cruise (not that I am surprised). Also good to hear that the wonderful crew is assisting your mother's mobility issues and her husband's allergies. They are certainly a great group of officers and crew members onboard Explorer at the moment (our favorite chef also returned to Explorer right after we left).

Looking forward to reading all about your cruise when you home!

P.S. drib - our kitties "whine" rather than partaking in "wine" (however, they love tuna juice).

Bill, thanks also for a wonderful wrap up of Jason's session. Nice, also to hear the Explorer team is taking good care of your family.

Spoke with the CEO of NCL within the last month, mentioned that Silversea seems to have the majority of the cruising luxury (not considering boutique lines) expedition market to themselves (except (if I recall correctly) Crystal doing NWP (Northwest Passage) and Seabourn (Quest) going to Antarctica with zodiac landings. FDR, CEO told me Regent is considering entering the expedition market (but as FDR said the expedition market is a tough one to be successful in) and in particular he is having his smart folks look at converting the Navigator to an expedition ship. Please, note Regent's team are in the research mode now (no commitments for a Regent Expedition ship yet).

Wes, I suppose most would consider Scenic Tours (river cruises) to be a boutique. In addition to their 15 river ships they are launching their new Eclipse expedition ship next year for 228 passengers. It will be going to Antarctica and the Arctic. The ship has a small submarine and helicopter. They are all inclusive and do a very nice job. It will be interesting whether they will grow in this space as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I'm having problems getting enthused about many of the "new" itineraries, I'd love to see the Navigator used for Expedition and/or destination immersion (my def is hitting half a dozen ports in the same country or area including some overnights). And this is the ship that can fit into the off-the beaten path locations.

A belated Happy Easter to everyone

giustot, and others on board, have given an excellent resume of JM's meeting on board Explorer

Having just listened to a replay of the meeting, I have the following additions that may be helpful:

In JM's initial presentation he acknowledged three of the negative issues on Explorer which would definitely be addressed in the new ship, "Explorer 2"

- sight lines from the theatre balcony

- space between aft elevators and stairs

- closet space in G cabins

Guests reminded him of what they considered other significant shortcomings that should be reviewed

- no outside forward deck

- no rear facing lounge

- no restrooms adjacent Compass Rose

- poorly lit/marked steps in the theatre aisles

However, there were also numerous positive comments made by guests, including the layout of La Veranda on Explorer. JM said they intended to replicate this on Mariner next year. A passenger asked if the Explorer bathroom night-light could also be replicated on Mariner

Many positive comments were also rightly made about Regent's staff & crew

- Itineraries for 2019/2020, including the 2020 Mariner World Cruise, will be published in August

- Although JM helped launch the Oceania brand, he would personally rather cruise on Regent

- JM acknowledged that Regent has been "challenged on IT issues". They are working on the website and social media

- JM reminded passengers to always let Regent staff know of any issues immediately they occur so that they have the opportunity to fix it

- The WiFi bandwidth issue was raised; JM felt this was challenging, but gave no assurances that improvements were imminent

- A dedicated Regent Director for the on-shore experience (tours etc) is shortly to be appointed in order to improve the Regent experience when ashore

- A passenger made the excellent suggestion that 'art tours' should be offered on board. JM said that they were looking at preparing a book and would also consider the idea of art tours on all the ships

- Regent is hoping to develop a virtual reality headset that on-board cruise consultants could use to show passengers what the suites are like on all the ships

- Regarding a question raised about lecturers, JM said that he is reviewing the enrichment programmes

The passenger offered to read his list of suggested improvements or to go through it after the meeting; JM accepted the latter option

JM clearly stated that he had no intention of entering the Expedition or River Cruising market with Regent and has no intention of taking any of the ships to Antarctica. His goal is to concentrate the Regent brand on Luxury Ocean Cruising

Of course FDR speaks for NCLH and is no doubt exploring other markets for the NCLH Group as a whole

Finally, despite liking "Terminator", our suggestion for the name of the new ship is "Endeavour" but, unless misspelt, it doesn't fulfil JM's naming specification

As others have already said it will probably end up as "Adventurer"

I have heard the comment about restrooms on deck 4 (where Compass Rose is) before and I don't "get it". There are restrooms by the elevators (the only elevators that take you to deck 4). Most of deck 4 is taken up by CR and the theater so it is a short walk to the elevators. Perhaps some people don't know the restrooms are there?

IMO, the only real design issues are:

1. Space between elevator and stairs (only on deck 5 aft)

2. Difficulty in getting to deck 4 if you are aft.

3. Sight lines from the theater balcony.

IMO, the stairs in the Constellation Theater is a safety issue that is correctable while the ship is in service (the stairs need some type of illumination.)

I mainly posted to address the incorrect assumption by some passengers that they aren't restrooms near Compass Rose.