Help on Pre Cruise Land Tour of Alaska; on your own

burrma

Can someone please direct me to threads where people booked the pre cruise land tour which included Fairbanks Lodge 1 night; Denali Wilderness Lodge 2 nights; McKinley Lodge 1 night and if they didn't do the cruise excursions; what they could do at each place; to cut costs but still experience a lot of what each place had to ofer. Sincere thanks for any help you can give me.

There is nothing special about Princess Lodges. The McKinley lodge is out in the middle of nowhere, and excellent with a rental car. Be SURE to look at an entire itinerary, Fairbanks, needs at least two nights, and a rental car there too. IF you are looking at flying in/out of Fairbanks, then you are adding a costly drop fee.

The activities are many. What are your interests? Access into Denali , should be at the top of the list, with my recommendation of a shuttle bus to at least Eielson.

There is nothing special about Princess Lodges. The McKinley lodge is out in the middle of nowhere, and excellent with a rental car. Be SURE to look at an entire itinerary, Fairbanks, needs at least two nights, and a rental car there too. IF you are looking at flying in/out of Fairbanks, then you are adding a costly drop fee.

The activities are many. What are your interests? Access into Denali , should be at the top of the list, with my recommendation of a shuttle bus to at least Eielson.

Was hoping you'd reply; have read many of your posts and you are so knowledgeable on everything. We booked flights as soon as they came out and not that bad in price. FLying into Faribanks and hoem form Vancouver. Yes we have two days in Fairbanks. Thanks for hint on rental car. Older crowd with me and no specific interest ; just to experience Alaska. Can you give me the best cheapest way to take shuttle bus to at least Eielson? Can you do this: on your own through shuttle; approx. cost or need to bok Princess excursion? Sincere thanks for any help you can give me.

Below is the link for the Denali reservation site. There's a map to show you the popular destinations along the Park road so you can get your bearings, and has information for shuttles. You can make a reservation on-line or call their toll free number.

The shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center goes to Mile 66, and costs $34, about 4 hrs each way.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

I was confused by your post .... are you looking for a tour? or do you want to make this a DIY trip by car? or do you want to replicate a cruisetour by making your own train and hotel reservations?

Thanks Mapleleaves; appreciated that website. Think we will tkae shuttle bus; read many pluses on this and cheaper than tour bus and goes same place. Thanks

Can someone please direct me to threads where people booked the pre cruise land tour which included Fairbanks Lodge 1 night; Denali Wilderness Lodge 2 nights; McKinley Lodge 1 night and if they didn't do the cruise excursions; what they could do at each place; to cut costs but still experience a lot of what each place had to ofer. Sincere thanks for any help you can give me.

I can't figure out what people see in the Princess Lodges except that they are easy to book. We always stay in B&B's in AK. You can find good ones in TripAdvisor. They are significantly cheaper than hotels. They have great ambiance - usually. The breakfasts are usually wonderful. Most important, you get to meet people and have really interesting experiences.

Four examples. In Fairbanks, the lady who owned the B&B took us out bar hopping on our last night there. We ended up at a blues joint that had one of the best blues bands I have ever heard.

In Chitina, we stayed at a wonderful funky place. The lady who owned the place had fish wheels on the Copper River. We mentioned to here that if she had any extra, we would like to buy some smoked salmon on our way out of Wrangell Elias National Park. She said that she was not allowed to sell us any fish but she would be happy to GIVE us some. We ended up with 5 smoked Copper River Reds. Have you priced them recently? We feasted for the next 3 days.

In Wiseman, we got to our place on July 5. The owner was a veteran and had just gotten over hosting about 20 of his best buddies for a long July 4th celebration. He had lots of stuff left over and insisted on making us dinner. We spent the evening eating burgers, hot dogs and fixings. We helped him make a dent in the left over beer and spent the entire evening trading stories.

The owners of the B&B we stayed at in Homer had spend 15 years living on a 35 foot boat cruising around the world before they settled in Homer. The stories they told were great. They made our stay in Homer memorable.

Try to have experiences like that at an institutional hotel such as the Princess lodges.

DON

I trading stories.

The owners of the B&B we stayed at in Homer had spend 15 years living on a 35 foot boat cruising around the world before they settled in Homer. The stories they told were great. They made our stay in Homer memorable.

Try to have experiences like that at an institutional hotel such as the Princess lodges.

DON

If you remember (or have it recorded somewhere) could I have the name of the B&B in Homer?

My son would really enjoy visiting with people who are so adventureous (sp?) That would looks incorrect!

It's my son's first time in AK (I usually go each year and once spent the entire summer..........we went up via the Marine system and drove all the way back home, to Oregon). I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

Anyhow, with his work schedule we have just two days before the cruise and have decided to "do" the peninsula.........I could spend a week just in Homer and Seward!

Thanks for the info.

If you remember (or have it recorded somewhere) could I have the name of the B&B in Homer?

My son would really enjoy visiting with people who are so adventureous (sp?) That would looks incorrect!

It's my son's first time in AK (I usually go each year and once spent the entire summer..........we went up via the Marine system and drove all the way back home, to Oregon). I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

Anyhow, with his work schedule we have just two days before the cruise and have decided to "do" the peninsula.........I could spend a week just in Homer and Seward!

Thanks for the info.

Here is a link to the place

http://www.fireandicelodging.com/

You should be aware that it is about 5 or 5 miles out of town so you do need a car.

We spent almost 3 months last summer driving up to and around Alaska and then taking the Marine Highway south. We put almost 12,000 miles on the car, stayed almost entirely in B&B's, and had the best vacation we have ever had. I love Alaska. We are taking our 10 year old grand daughter there this summer. One week on land and then the Diamond Princess south. It will be interesting to see the place through her eyes.

DON

Here is a link to the place

http://www.fireandicelodging.com/

You should be aware that it is about 5 or 5 miles out of town so you do need a car.

We spent almost 3 months last summer driving up to and around Alaska and then taking the Marine Highway south. We put almost 12,000 miles on the car, stayed almost entirely in B&B's, and had the best vacation we have ever had. I love Alaska. We are taking our 10 year old grand daughter there this summer. One week on land and then the Diamond Princess south. It will be interesting to see the place through her eyes.

DON

THANK YOU!

In 1987 we had our first cruise and it was to Alaska so my husband got his way (a motorhome) and in 1988 we also spent three months up there......

drove north to Prince Rupert, boarded the Marine Hwy. there and did lots of ons and offs..........drove home (Portland, OR).........It's easy to fall in love with AK.

I've been often (annually for the past seven years) but my son's never been. We're doing the peninsula before our cruise. He can't get much time off but wanted to see Homer and I love Seward!

Oh.............such fun to take your granddaughter! I love seeing the little ones in the dining rooms..........so dressed up and excited!

Archived