All Inclusive Debate

SOShrink

At one time Radisson/Regent provided wine at dinner and two bottles of hard liquor plus beer in the cabins. Everything else they charged for. Then they went all inclusive for alcohol (except for a very very few premium brands). FDR said that the overall alcohol consumption on the ships didn't change very much. However, the atmosphere on the ships changed a lot. The bars and lounges were used a lot more, and the whole ship became much more social. For me this was a huge win.

I've only been on Oceania once (Riviera trans-atlantic) and it reminded me of Regent before they switched. All those beautiful lounges and bars with good to excellent musicians playing to hardly any people.

True Scenic are all inclusive all excursions regardless of how many wish to go on them. Last year we were the only ones on a particular excursion (it was very interesting) so we had our own car, driver, guide and a member of the scenic team who went for experience. Wonderful.

CA

I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much keenmolly. We're booked to go Amsterdam to Budapest in April 2016 and can't wait :D

We actually did Budapest to Amsterdam back in 2012 with Avalon Waterways. Really loved it and enjoyed the ship Panorama lovely staterooms and wonderful crew. Only reason we changed companies was because a very good deal came through on our email for APT (all inclusive) and as we are now retired we were able to grab it quickly.

I do hope you have as good a time as we did and meet many different people along the way, some of whom will become great friends and see all the beautiful little towns and enjoy a few German Beers Yum!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We actually did Budapest to Amsterdam back in 2012 with Avalon Waterways. Really loved it and enjoyed the ship Panorama lovely staterooms and wonderful crew. Only reason we changed companies was because a very good deal came through on our email for APT (all inclusive) and as we are now retired we were able to grab it quickly.

I do hope you have as good a time as we did and meet many different people along the way, some of whom will become great friends and see all the beautiful little towns and enjoy a few German Beers Yum!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you - I'm sure we will :D

I've traveled all-inclusive with Tauck and it was everything I wanted it to be.

In Australia we have consumer laws that prohibit companies claiming something then not delivering. In a case recently on these boards where a company claimed an all-inclusive cruise but then had optional tours that could be purchased could not be advertised down here as all-inclusive as it would breach the Act. In a company forum a very well respected company told us that "they were mainly inclusive". To me that's like being just a bit pregnant.

I like the all-inclusive concept because it eliminates "tipping" (it's included in the price) because "tipping" is totally foreign to me and I never want to embarrass myself or my Country by tipping incorrectly. I like it that Scylla staff are doing all that fine work because that's the way they're trained and not because they expect a tip. It's been our custom to give staff a small Australian token of either a small Koala or an Australian animal pin. I have many photos of the genuine smiles.

I like the fact that except for Laundry costs I don't have to put my hand in my pocket at cruise end to pay for "optional extras". If my wife and I feel like a pre-dinner drink we can order what we like. There is no optional Top Shelf items in a Tauck Bar. I was impressed that the wines served on my cruise was very good quality from very well recognised vineyards of the area and not a generic cruise company brand and they changed every day. Food and service on-board is very personal and subjective but I appreciated the time taken by Scylla staff to explain the food and wine make-up.

I appreciate the Tauck transfer system that picks you up and delivers you to either the airport, train station or a hotel whether you used Tauck air or not. I like the all-inclusive feature of being given a free night at a five star hotel either before or after the cruise. I like all that Tauck offers but I realise I may be in the minority here.

I've read many posts that do not like all-inclusive costing because it inhibits their freedom to be independent and do their own thing. To have the choice of how much they tip. To arrange their own transfers. Those people correctly believe that all the things I spoke about and more are included in and thus inflating the cruise price. No one should argue against that but in planning my holidays with Tauck I, as many do, research, research and research and I challenge those who do not like all-inclusive to do an honest after cruise costing and you'll be surprised, as my sister was, that the "optional extras" add up and in the end your cruise and mine were not that far apart in the end price.

I have no problem with those who prefer not to take an all-inclusive cruise because all cruises are the "best holidays in the World" irrespective of your favourite cruise line but please remember that as an old retired Australian media guy I will always argue that if some cruises by some companies have "options" then they are not all-inclusive. Down here, I repeat, you can't be a little bit pregnant.

My thanks to the OP for the opportunity to post in what should be an interesting topic. I look forward to the differing opinions.

Rod

But where does your definition of "all" inclusive end? Should everything in the gift shop be free for the taking? Should every passenger get a free massage every day? And since different cabin categories are "options" then no cruise that charges different rates for different cabins is "all" inclusive.

But where does your definition of "all" inclusive end? Should everything in the gift shop be free for the taking? Should every passenger get a free massage every day? And since different cabin categories are "options" then no cruise that charges different rates for different cabins is "all" inclusive.

I'm sure you're just looking for a fight and I won't oblige you. The definition of all-inclusive has been explained, I feel, quite competently by me and many others. I'm sorry you don't understand.

In reviewing past cruises and the upcoming cruise companion, it seems, for the most part, the included tours are usually in the morning, usually consisting of general city bus or walking tours. Then, in the afternoon, there are optional excursions offered to museums, palaces, etc. This has always been the case and has not changed even with the "all-inclusive" trips. Beer and wine has always been complimentary at meals. So, let's examine exactly what has changed with all-inclusive. Drinks are now free all day, but when you think of it, most passengers are off the ship during the day. Although I have to admit it might be nice to have an open bar in the evening and on "sea days" when we are cruising during the day. But to me, what has really changed are the included tips. And I sincerely hope this is not the cruise line not wanting to increase the salaries of their hard-working staff and thus passing the expense down to us. I think they should pay their staff well anyway and that tips should be given individually and collectively as we have always done. But I also must admit, that most passengers responding to this board have spoken favorably about their all-inclusive trips, so I will not knock it til I've tried it so I will keep an open mind about it!

In reviewing past cruises and the upcoming cruise companion, it seems, for the most part, the included tours are usually in the morning, usually consisting of general city bus or walking tours. Then, in the afternoon, there are optional excursions offered to museums, palaces, etc. This has always been the case and has not changed even with the "all-inclusive" trips. Beer and wine has always been complimentary at meals. So, let's examine exactly what has changed with all-inclusive. Drinks are now free all day, but when you think of it, most passengers are off the ship during the day. Although I have to admit it might be nice to have an open bar in the evening and on "sea days" when we are cruising during the day. But to me, what has really changed are the included tips. And I sincerely hope this is not the cruise line not wanting to increase the salaries of their hard-working staff and thus passing the expense down to us. I think they should pay their staff well anyway and that tips should be given individually and collectively as we have always done. But I also must admit, that most passengers responding to this board have spoken favorably about their all-inclusive trips, so I will not knock it til I've tried it so I will keep an open mind about it!

The sentence that I highlighted, I believe is one of the major inclusions that make some lines all-inclusive and others not. I know that Scenic offer a choice of at times three tours to different things in a city being visited. In the case of Tauck an example would be in Vienna where guests are offered either a tour of the winter or summer palaces and in Nuremberg a choice of tours to either the medieval old town or the sites associated with WW2. All of these tours are included in the base price of the cruise - there is no additional costs.

I can't speak first hand about Scenic's bar but on the Tauck boat everything at the bar was included including what some companies might call "top shelf". I imbibed in a 15 year old single malt scotch and one evening I tried a very good VSOP Cognac. To me it wasn't the availability of an open bar all day and night but the availability to have a drink of any thing I wanted knowing that it was included in the price of the cruise.

As for tipping I hoped my explanation, as an Australian, was accepted. As for buying something in the gift shop that like choosing to have laundry done on board is, I believe, a personal choice and cost and not a part of the all-inclusive pricing.

As I said in my original post I truly realise that all-inclusive is not for everyone but those of us that do appreciate the convenience of all-inclusive should be equally accepted by others not challenged.

Edited by Ozjohnno
Additional sentence

The sentence that I highlighted, I believe is one of the major inclusions that make some lines all-inclusive and others not. I know that Scenic offer a choice of at times three tours to different things in a city being visited. In the case of Tauck an example would be in Vienna where guests are offered either a tour of the winter or summer palaces and in Nuremberg a choice of tours to either the medieval old town or the sites associated with WW2. All of these tours are included in the base price of the cruise - there is no additional costs.

I can't speak first hand about Scenic's bar but on the Tauck boat everything at the bar was included including what some companies might call "top shelf". I imbibed in a 15 year old single malt scotch and one evening I tried a very good VSOP Cognac. To me it wasn't the availability of an open bar all day and night but the availability to have a drink of any thing I wanted knowing that it was included in the price of the cruise.

Good points and I agree that either a line is all inclusive or not; those grey areas are both confusing and annoying. JMO.

• 1 month later...

This has been an interesting thread to follow. My wife and I are taking our first cruise of any kind this summer from Budapest to Nuremburg on Scenic.

We have always traveled on our own. We buy some guidebooks and google the heck out of our destination. We break the trip up into rough segments in advance then plan each days' activities the evening before, or maybe in the morning over breakfast. This will not only be our first cruise, but our first guided trip.

I was a little surprised to find that when I added the basic cruise price to the extras (booze, tips, extra-charge activities) for the non-inclusive cruises, the total estimate was very similar to the price for the inclusive Scenic cruise. My estimates for the extras came from cruise line representatives.

Time will tell if this is our first or only cruise, and if we think all-inclusive is worth it. This will be by far the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. One big reason I chose the all-inclusive cruise was to avoid the annoyance of feeling nickel-and-dimed during this special trip.

Hi Jeb_Bub we did the same cruise with Scenic a few years ago and posted a review in the CC review section, this year we do our fourth cruise with Scenic so far why change a fantastic cruise line. If your interested look on ******************** they have a very comprehensive all inclusive chart on all kinds of cruises including river companies there are also some indications of the costs/savings ect., an interesting read. When we started Scenic were not all inclusive and only butlers on the top deck, the next cruise we decided that we did not necessarily need a butler so booked deck 2 then realised we got a butler anyway so we made full use her she was axcellent. Mind you Scenic was all inclusive apart from beverages now you leave the ship without a bill that is if you don't get talked into buying a Steif Bear, I got my second one on that cruise, third one the next year but last year and this year no more as we cruised and are cruising France is sadly not famous for their bears. Do enjoy your research for and your cruise, make full use of your information gadgets they are so brilliant especially if you wonder off on your own or sit in the lounge or your cabin watching the world glide by.

Happy cruising CA 🐻

All Inclusive means whatever a cruise line determines it to be. It is then up to the consumer to decide if that inclusiveness warrants a purchase of their product.

As long as the cruise line publicly declares what their definition of All Inclusive is, no one has any basis for complaint.

Okay so one cannot put a link on a thread, so go to the Scenic website and look at the news section. The link would have been of assistance to all cruisers whatever line they wanted to take which I thought in my ignorance that this is what Cruise Critic was all about.

I absolutely agree (and am thankful this thread is helpful & informative :p) I too am often stunned by how many people travel without doing any sort of research at all.

I agree! Years ago I was going on the Mississippi Queen and a lady in front of me on the bus to the ship looked at a Carnival ship docked in front of us, and said."Is that the ship we are going on?"

agree. research is essential and preplanning can be part of the fun. some may not enjoy that and want everything included for many reasons.

luckily there are cruises for all preferences and the key is to find 1 that is a good match for you.

some things we prefer to organise ourselves and are happy to do that. we like some flexibility and dislike herding.

we find the more we travel the better we are at looking at details rather than just accepting the glossy marketing. not unlike real estate really.

that said it can be difficult to verify details sometimes. plus price does not always indicate quality of product/service.

buyer beware still applies.

Hi Jeb_Bub we did the same cruise with Scenic a few years ago and posted a review in the CC review section, this year we do our fourth cruise with Scenic so far why change a fantastic cruise line. If your interested look on ******************** they have a very comprehensive all inclusive chart on all kinds of cruises including river companies there are also some indications of the costs/savings ect., an interesting read. When we started Scenic were not all inclusive and only butlers on the top deck, the next cruise we decided that we did not necessarily need a butler so booked deck 2 then realised we got a butler anyway so we made full use her she was axcellent. Mind you Scenic was all inclusive apart from beverages now you leave the ship without a bill that is if you don't get talked into buying a Steif Bear, I got my second one on that cruise, third one the next year but last year and this year no more as we cruised and are cruising France is sadly not famous for their bears. Do enjoy your research for and your cruise, make full use of your information gadgets they are so brilliant especially if you wonder off on your own or sit in the lounge or your cabin watching the world glide by.

Happy cruising CA 🐻

I'm glad you enjoy Scenic cruising, Canal. I hope we do the same.

Have you had any laundry done on your cruises? How did the price compare to hotel laundry service? Aside from a souvenir or two laundry is the only expense I expect to incur, although my wife is attracted to the massage.

Also, I went to the Scenic site and I could not find a News link. I know I've seen it before but I can't find it today. Were they linking from another site? Do you remember which one?

Edited by jeb_bud
Also...

Hi Jeb_bud, I put the full link in my reply but it got blanked out but if you go to the scenic UK site scroll down to the bottom click on one of the news items at the end of the item there is a back button which brings up a list of news find the Feb 23rd item about all inclusive beverages this leads to lots of other comparisons and go from there. Good luck hope you find it. We have only had one or two items laundered and the cost is very similar to a good hotels but in my experience the service is better.

Personally I am all for all inclusive.

Good cruising CA

Personally, all inclusive would not pay off for us. We are not drinkers so the wine and soda at meals are all we need. We like the included tours but like time to explore on our own as well. We tip at all inclusive resorts and would tip more at the end of an all inclusive cruise. Thank goodness there are choices for all personal styles of travel.

Your right JimmyC fan the world would be a boring place if we all did or liked the same things. We like you enjoy wondering off at our own pace and as mine is slowing down now we don't inconvenience even the gentler walking groups. Scenic uses these devices for listening to your tour guide ( cannot remember the system off hand) they are GPS enabled and loaded with information about the different places you visit and along the rivers so you can wonder off to your hearts content listen to all the details and still return to your ship hopefully in time for it to sail, ideal for a photographer like me before these I often got so engrossed I mislaid my group, oops or is that just a senior moment.

Happy cruising CA 📷

We did wonder if included tips would affect the attitude of the crew and especially the guides in port.

In some way it does... I'd say most of us are too professional (and still love their jobs). But those who are above average are losing some serious money. To give you an idea - for a guide the included tip is about 1/3 to 1/4 of the regular tip - but at least you still get it in an envelope. For cruise directors and the crew it is even worse. Their tips are now often wired to their bank account, so they have 1.) less tip than before 2.) pay taxes on tips 3.) because officially it is now "more" income, costs for insurrances rise too. Which means at the end of the season we are easily talking about 5 digit numbers here. So from my experience: When working for included tips the tour is the same as for none included tips. I just try to stay away from these tours. In general I am concerned that the whole included tips thing looks great for advertisment but drags everyone back down to mediocrity. Maybe it is a bit sad that it works that way, but earning more money is an incentive to go the extra mile and try to improve constantly.

It is all about personal choice of course, but we'll take the 'All-Inclusive + options' route every time.

Limiting things so the cruise line cannot offer anything at a cost over and above the all inclusive price sees rather short-sighted to us.

The way that Regent does things works very well for us.

Plenty of choices of included trips at each port with one or two more costly options if you want to take them.

If they were legally preventing them from describing the cruise as 'all-inclusive' unless they ceased to offer people the more expensive selections as an optional extra just means you remove choices from people and degrade the experiences that are available.

Each to their own though, but we know what we prefer.

Edited by Mark_T

If we go to the states or actually anywhere in North America we expect to tip and do so in the UK in particular tipping in not generally a norm so it is an extra over and above the pay check. We go all inclusive and have yet to find any change in service wether we tip extra or not and in talking to crew and staff they are quite happy. The cruise companies would not get the excellent staff that they have if it was dependent on tipping either all inclusive or not and the stories I have heard about the little envelopes given at the end of a voyage to put what you think is best into seems not nice to me. If a a member of staff goes over and beyond on an all inclusive then I would of course award as I felt appropriate but the one time we tried to do this we were firmly and very politely refused and informed that the tips on top of their wages was more than appropriate. All the staff and crews that we have met have never given the impression that a tip would make any difference to their service.

Hey ho each to their own.

Happy cruising CA 🐻

The argument over what "must" be included in order for a cruise line to be truly "all-inclusive" bemuses me.

There is no such thing as a line that includes absolutely everything that a passenger could consume in the way of food, drink and services. One line excludes laundry, another may exclude absolute top-end liquor (think Macallan 25-year-old single malt), another may exclude absolute top-end wines (think Grand Cru Bordeaux), another may exclude pricey added excursions. No cruise line that I'm aware of provides the opportunity to do absolutely anything one wants and have any such activity reimbursed out of one's prepaid fare. Does any line have Havana cigars in a humidor marked, "Take All You Like?" If not, I can't agree the line is "all-inclusive." Silly.

So long as the cruise line defines its "all-inclusive" policies thoroughly, there's no real cause for complaint IMO. But caveat emptor, as in all consumer purchases.

I don't understand why it makes such a difference to folks if they pay the gratuities before the cruise begins or at the end. You're still paying gratuities. Also if a cruiseline offers optional tours that is not really all inclusive either in terms of River Cruises. Almost all river cruises include excursions. Jmo