It's gonna happen, so let's suggest our own ideas...

cle-guy

So we know the reality of today's business world is profits matter. This means raising revenues and cutting costs to remain competitive.

So instead of complaining about what has been cut or what has increased in price, I thought let's approach this from an informed consumer standpoint, and make suggestions ourselves as to what Celebrity can do to enhance revenues and profits, instead of just letting them determine it.

One thing that comes to my mind, is Luggage Tags. If people want them, charge a $20 fee to mail them out, and in that include a coupon booklet to entice spending on board to help make up for the cost. No one NEEDS mailed luggage tags, they can print the one in E-DOcs, or simply have a porter affix one. So this truly wouldn't cost most consumers a dime, but for those who want the special service. Luggage tags seem to be a real nuisance, as they aren't available to all countries, the link often doesn't work leading to calls to Captain's club taking staff time, they look to be printed on a relatively expensive material and most postage.

Another is let people with a Beverage package get a discount on buckets of beer, make it same as the wine bottle discount. The bottle of wine can be bought and shared at discount, let the buckets of beer be bought and shared, at discount.

Add a "reserved" section at the pool deck, letting people pay for the privilege of reserving deck chairs for long periods of time. Actually charge for the service. Include wait staff/butlering as part of it.

Curt, I was still sailing with RC when they decided to d/c luggage tags (for everyone except the suites, that is :rolleyes:). Trust me, it was a HUGE deal, over there -- one of RC's more unpopular decisions. There were many threads on the RC boards about the best way to print, cut, tape, laminate, staple, hole-punch, and zip-tie those darn luggage tag templates. Granted, you can buy the plastic luggage tag holders and circumvent some of the process. But, most of us don't want to have a mandatory arts-n-crafts project to do, the week before we leave for a trip! :eek:

Of course, profits matter. However, it is the short term focus of profits that can lead to long term problems. Pay for services is not always the solution. Many people have a set budget so the cruiseline is only going to get the same set amount.

If the company really wants to be more profitable, it needs to invest in its infrastructure. You have to spend money to make money. It is evident that Celebrity's website is lacking. If Celebrity had a truly effective website, it would reduce the number of people who have to call to speak to a live person to work out a problem.

Curt, I was still sailing with RC when they decided to d/c luggage tags (for everyone except the suites, that is :rolleyes:). Trust me, it was a HUGE deal, over there -- one of RC's more unpopular decisions. There were many threads on the RC boards about the best way to print, cut, tape, laminate, staple, hole-punch, and zip-tie those darn luggage tag templates. Granted, you can buy the plastic luggage tag holders and circumvent some of the process. But, most of us don't want to have a mandatory arts-n-crafts project to do, the week before we leave for a trip! :eek:

Point of luggage tags is, you don't need to do ANY of that. Just get one from the porter at the pier. No hassle at all, no extra work, in fact work saved.

That's why I don't understand the unrealistic outrage at having to do arts and crafts....you don't have to, you don't need to arrive with a luggage tag in hand at all. If your bag has your full name on it, and a tag comes loose, it will find its way to you, likely without much of a delay even. They would likely radio to someone ask for cabin number then reaffix a tag to the bag.

Curt - I'm a huge fan of yours :D and I always look forward to reading what you have to say BUT there are a lot of things we don't need, just a lot of things - little things mostly that we like. I love getting the luggage tags in the mail - adds to the excitement. I love that glass of champagne (or a cheap imitation) when I walk on the ship - could they save money by doing away with it, of course. Would I pay for it - uh no. Just try not to give Celebrity any ideas on how they might charge me more because I'm already paying enough. :p

Edited by Jane2357

Great idea for a thread, Curt!

...and really like your ideas, especially about reserving loungers on pool deck. I think Princess does that already for its more elite and suite passengers. Celebrity could also expand that idea to include reserved seating at shows as well.

Personally, I would like a "wine package" that instead of bottles, includes wine by the glass only. I generally travel as a solo and if I don't like the bottle given, I'm basically stuck with it whereas wine by the glass would offer a better variety from which to try. Celebrity's cutback in number of sommeliers in the MDR meant they no longer had time to actually discuss the wines and Cellar Masters was one of the only places onboard to get good advice on wines but now that they're replacing Cellar Masters with GastroBar, what is one to do? Btw, this package would be priced lower than the premium or classic packages as it would include wine only, no other alcoholic beverages. Don't know exactly how they'd pull it off but I'd be willing to try it! :)

On second thought, I think Cellar Masters did offer some kind of wine by the glass package but it was for wines only purchased in Cellar Masters which meant you'd have to carry it to dinner. Sometimes I like different wines with different courses during dinner and slow waitservice due to lack of sommeliers makes this more difficult and Celebrity loses money from wines I would have purchased. Sure, buying wine by the bottle is a better "deal" but also keeps one from trying different wines.

Edited by red919

Concerning luggage tags, I totally agree with Curt. I always fly in the day before a cruise and simply borrow the stapler at hotel check-out to attach the luggage tags I'd printed at home.

And if I were to forget, not a problem getting one from porters at drop off. I always tip them anyway, might as well get my money's worth. ;):)

Edited by red919

I love the wine by the glass package idea. I too travel solo, and don't don't care for a full bottle of wine. I was happy to discover the 'half bottles' on the menu on my last sailing though in the MDR. It would be nice to use in cellar masters too.

So we know the reality of today's business world is profits matter. This means raising revenues and cutting costs to remain competitive.

So instead of complaining about what has been cut or what has increased in price, I thought let's approach this from an informed consumer standpoint, and make suggestions ourselves as to what Celebrity can do to enhance revenues and profits, instead of just letting them determine it.

One thing that comes to my mind, is Luggage Tags. If people want them, charge a $20 fee to mail them out, and in that include a coupon booklet to entice spending on board to help make up for the cost. No one NEEDS mailed luggage tags, they can print the one in E-DOcs, or simply have a porter affix one. So this truly wouldn't cost most consumers a dime, but for those who want the special service. Luggage tags seem to be a real nuisance, as they aren't available to all countries, the link often doesn't work leading to calls to Captain's club taking staff time, they look to be printed on a relatively expensive material and most postage.

Another is let people with a Beverage package get a discount on buckets of beer, make it same as the wine bottle discount. The bottle of wine can be bought and shared at discount, let the buckets of beer be bought and shared, at discount.

Add a "reserved" section at the pool deck, letting people pay for the privilege of reserving deck chairs for long periods of time. Actually charge for the service. Include wait staff/butlering as part of it.

I have an even better idea. Have all the cruise lines get together and agree to make each and every ship exactly like all the others, both their own and their competitors. That way they won't have to do anything special that costs extra money to try to stand out from each other. Little "unnecessary" things like sending out luggage tags, a glass of sparkling wine at embarkation, cool towels and cold drinks after a hot day of excursions, etc.

If they were all identical to each other, imagine how much money they would save by not trying to outdo each other. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

The problem with luggage tags at the pier is that they are much thinner than the ones provided by request on line. As a serial cruiser we only need the first in a chain but it is nice to have a tag on the bag on the various conveyances with the destination already on the luggage. There has been many a soul who has left their bag on a bus taxi or shuttle without any clear ship destination.

The more forgetful I get, the more I like the security of a tag applied in the hotel before leaving for the ship.

If you are looking for money making ideas, I think that there should be a betting terminal at every elevator to see how often one flies by before the computer-designated one arrives.

If the company really wants to be more profitable, it needs to invest in its infrastructure. You have to spend money to make money. It is evident that Celebrity's website is lacking. If Celebrity had a truly effective website, it would reduce the number of people who have to call to speak to a live person to work out a problem.

Exactly!

There are numerous reports of people trying to book cruises, excursions, drink packages, dining packages, etc. through the website and they encounter nothing but problems. I've personally been on a few roll calls where people just instead opted to join private tours with others as it was less hassle.

If they would fix their website so that more people could actually book with them, perhaps revenues would increase without the need for more nickel and diming.

Personally, I am tired of the nickel and diming that has been happening over the last number of years. Last year we opted not to cruise and instead for the first time vacationed at an all inclusive resort. Not only was it cheaper, but we loved it so much that we opted to cancel our 2016 Celebrity cruise in favor of another all inclusive vacation. I still enjoy cruising, but some of my vacation dollars are now being spent elsewhere.

Instead of nickel and diming (which will only drive more customers away), perhaps they should market themselves to attract more younger/middle aged customers who have disposable income. Very few people in my social circle (late 30s) will consider a Celebrity cruise as a vacation option. They see cruises as being expensive and view Celebrity as a cruiseline full of old people.

I have an even better idea. Have all the cruise lines get together and agree to make each and every ship exactly like all the others, both their own and their competitors. That way they won't have to do anything special that costs extra money to try to stand out from each other. Little "unnecessary" things like sending out luggage tags, a glass of sparkling wine at embarkation, cool towels and cold drinks after a hot day of excursions, etc.

If they were all identical to each other, imagine how much money they would save not trying to outdo each other. :rolleyes:

There's lots of variances between brands that wouldn't be easily standardized in such a way. Furnishings, decor, cabin size, staff to guest ratio, specialty dining options, types of shows and entertainment. I don't really think at any time we will see all lies become exactly the same like a fleet of greyhound busses. Celebrity ships just don't really have space for wave pools and bumper cars, at least not till it turns its fleet over in 20 years or so. So I have no concerns about such a thing happening.

Cold towels aren't costing them anything, so I see those staying for a long time. Same with the fruit punch and water. Drink it there or at the buffet, the cost remains the same.

Champagne at embarkation seems to be one of Celebrity's "things" it's known for, so like butlers, I assume it isn't going anyplace. It puts a face to Celebrity, where luggage tags being mailed on request, isn't part of that public 'face".

I do also hope X keeps its butlers, something that differentiates it, and as such adds to cost most of suite cabins.

I've read RCI has a 3 course MDR menu, X has 4 course, that differentiates them. For me, I hope the 4 courses stay. For me, I don't need luggage tags mailed, but remember as a new cruiser they sounded awesome, so I see that as a way to nab an extra $20 out of a newcomer, while not affecting me at all. That extra $20 in turn, allows X to maintain 4 course MDR meals without raising cabin fares for just a little bit longer in time. Another win for me.

I would like to see some sort of "star treatment" package people could buy, like airlines sell, where for $50 a person, you can buy priority boarding etc. even in lower class cabins. Again, something new comers may latch onto, something seasoned cruisers would laugh about being worthless (i.e. concierge cabins versus verandas) in most cases. Include in this a NEW service, direct luggage delivery, where a porter would take your bags straight to Xray and your cabin, as soon as you arrive. But charge a fee for the service, generate revenues in new ways, keep the standard fares down. This needs to be more than the current advertised "priority luggage delivery" where luggage arrives over course of several hours, but still sooner than the last bags delivered, I am talking immediate delivery.

So let's stay ON TOPIC and add things we would suggest change, rather than going off topic and discussing things we want to stay - there's plenty of those threads already.

I hate to tell you that there are costs associated with providing the fruit punch and cold towels. With the latter, you have to transport the towels to the pier, allocate staff to hand them out, and then you have to clean them. There are costs associated with each one of those steps. These are not cost neutral events.

I think there are inventive ways to generate more revenue but they don't need be integrated into every aspect of cruising. It is dangerous to move into an a la carte approach to cruising.

I've read RCI has a 3 course MDR menu, X has 4 course, that differentiates them. For me, I hope the 4 courses stay.

RCI does have a 3 course MDR menu (the appetizers/soups/salads are all under one category); however, most people still order two items from that category so it becomes a 4 course meal. IMO, this isn't much of a differentiation.

I hate to tell you that there are costs associated with providing the fruit punch and cold towels. With the latter, you have to transport the towels to the pier, allocate staff to hand them out, and then you have to clean them. There are costs associated with each one of those steps. These are not cost neutral events.

Perhaps I should have said no MATERIAL cost. Staff is already around, while we are at shore, many have little to do, so they are moved from a wait staff station in buffet to the pier. The ship does not have a specific staff position called "pier cold towel dispenser" who works just those few hours a couple times each journey doing nothing but handing out towels. Same staff does the transport, we aren't calling in a taxi service to deliver them. The cost to clean those perhaps 5-10 bags of wet towels is so insignificant, it wouldn't cause a blip. Likely all fit within a single load of laundry in the industrial machines in use.

The cost of handing out champagne though is far higher, given 6 glasses per bottle, that's about $1 per glass served assuming they can purchase the bottle for about $6 a bottle, without regard for the staff and glass washing. However I'm not advocating losing the champagne boarding toast at all, as I mentioned it's part of the "face" of celebrity to my mind.

Again, STAY ON TOPIC, what changes do we want to accept, not what do we want to keep around.

Edited by cle-guy

What a great idea, we can all give suggestions as to what WE won't miss. Why give a moment's thought to others.

Curt, I too agree with many things you say but giving any business ideas of how to rip us off isn't one of them. When they make me CEO and pay me, I'd be happy to provide some. For now I prefer to give them ideas of how to make things better for the passengers without making them pay more.

This isn't a thread about ripping us off - quite the opposite.

It's about what can change, so that fares can remain as is and not increasing dramatically, thus NOT ripping us off. As time goes on expenses increase, and fares must too to keep up, unless changes are implemented to offset the need for fare increases. Simple budget-balancing.

New rules for emissions are going to cost money. New rules about adding equipment to monitor men overboard will add capital costs.....these need paid for somehow....

This is not a big deal to print out your own luggage tags. This has been in effect for years on other cruise lines and it works. You really don't need to buy anything. Just print them out, fold them per directions and staple or tape. If you want the plastic holder they are a one time buy at WalMart and very cheap.

If you make it an arts-n-craft project, that is up to you. LOL

This isn't a thread about ripping us off - quite the opposite.

It's about what can change, so that fares can remain as is and not increasing dramatically, thus NOT ripping us off. As time goes on expenses increase, and fares must too to keep up, unless changes are implemented to offset the need for fare increases. Simple budget-balancing.

New rules for emissions are going to cost money. New rules about adding equipment to monitor men overboard will add capital costs.....these need paid for somehow....

Maybe the cost of fuel will more than take care of it. Actually, they should be giving us some extras since they must have a windfall in that area.

Great idea for a thread, Curt!

Personally, I would like a "wine package" Don't know exactly how they'd pull it off but I'd be willing to try it!

Absolutely FANTASTIC idea!!! Make people PAY to WHINE (and/or complain!)

LOTS of whining... costs lots of money.... Those folks can afford it. :p

No complaints... No charge! ;)

EACH and EVERY person pays ONLY for how much THEY whine! :D

Suggestions to what =X= can do to enhance profits:

Offer the kind of experience in which they excelled (but do not any longer), viz top notch service at a reasonable price which differentiated them from other mass-market cruise lines. White glove service in the MDR. Eye popping presentation of food. Finding pax a seat and delivering their food to them in the Oceanview Cafe. Adequate staff levels in all departments. Customer focused attention to detail (rather than the current short-term profit focus).

I honestly believe that if those who have only started sailing Celebrity in, say the last five years, saw the way things were 10 years ago they would be shell shocked. They tout Celebrity as being so far above other cruise lines when, in fact, they are barely a shadow of their former selves. Still consider it our "go to" cruise line, but whereas the vast majority of our future booked cruises were usually with Celebrity, they can only can claim 4 of the 11 we have booked. And if the prices keep escalating (and they are, a lot) and service keeps declining, that ratio will continue to be adjusted down.

And honestly, I feel bad about that. But as one long-term Celebrity employee confided in me, and I quote, "remember, I am nothing but a number to Miami but so are you." Maybe I have an odd business sense, but I never saw my customers as a "number" and bristle at the thought of being thought of as one. But then my business philosophy (and Celebrity's past one, unfortunately) is rather passe in BusinessUSA2015: Deliver a top quality product at a reasonable price, excel over your competition by what you offer and how you offer it, and back it all with quality customer service. Do that and long-term profitability will be assured.

Sorry but none of the suggestions are appealing to us.

The mailed luggage tags are much sturdier than self printed ones with a better chance of not getting detached . We are NOt looking for a craft project laminating, taping and affixing the tag. The mailed ones are color coded...much better odds at getting prompt delivery of one's bags,. Lost or misguided luggage is not a happy way to begin a cruise! We do not mind printing out salient parts of the cruise docs and contract, but hope Celebrity does not eliminate this service of mailing our tags!

In our opinion, Buckets of Beer would encourage even more drinking to excess as noted recently with the packages and create a frat party, bachanalia atmosphere on board. Seems inconsistent with Modern Luxury

Royal has a reserved section for suites...often empty on a very sunny day. Buying a reserved lounger would require more staff and tie up unused seating....already in short supply. First come first served is best with enforcement of no day long seat saving....

Sorry...none of these makes the cut!

Edited by hcat