Kennedy Space Center question (Canaveral)

SailingJewel

I've researched enough to discover that, while I originally wanted to do the Royal Caribbean excursion to the Kennedy Space Center on the last day of our cruise after disembarking because it's a cool trip AND it includes the transfers to the Orlando airport, I've read that not only does it get cancelled more often than not (due to lack of sign-ups) but that people swear it's just cheaper and easier to rent a car and do it yourself. It's only mildly cheaper, from what I've found... and I guess knowing that it could be cancalled the day before, leaving me without airport transfers, I might as well book it myself.

I see that it's about 20 minutes/15 miles from the port at Canaveral? Is that right?

Arrive back into port ~6:00am

Be off boat by ~7:30am

At rental car by ~8am

At KSC ~9am

Am I under estimating? Is there enough time to enjoy the KSC if I have a flight that leaves Orlando at 4pm and have to be there at ~2pm to drop off the car and check-in?

Thank you!!! :D

You could spend all day there, but you'll be able to see most of what you want in the about 4 hours you have allotted. You can save some t ime by purchasing tickets in advance - some have reported discounted or free tickets were obtained via their congressman? :confused:

Good luck! :)

Just a heads up in that you will not get to see much in just a few hours. In the end, it will end up being a waste of money (JMO). This is something that you really need all day for. We spent 8 hrs there just last year and still could have spent another 1-2.

Keep in mind, that you also catch a bus over to the Observatory, which will take extra time. Last year we waited nearly 30 min for a bus, even though their website says they come through every 15 min. We weren't in any big hurry, so it was not a big deal for us. In your case though, it would be a HUGE deal if they are not on time.

Also, arriving to MCO at 2pm, with a 4pm departure is a little too close for me (another JMO).;)

The Space Center is great to see, so if you go, have a great time! It will be short though and you may not enjoy it as much since you will be watching the clock constantly.:)

Also, arriving to MCO at 2pm, with a 4pm departure is a little too close for me (another JMO).;)

Seriously? Two hours isn't enough time?! I've flown internationally back when things were tight after 9/11 and it was fine. :) It really isn't enough? Holy cow! Thanks for the tip!

ETA: And thanks for the other tips as well. :) That's all good to know!

Seriously? Two hours isn't enough time?! I've flown internationally back when things were tight after 9/11 and it was fine. :) It really isn't enough? Holy cow! Thanks for the tip!

ETA: And thanks for the other tips as well. :) That's all good to know!

Does that 2 hrs include dropping the car off? That's why I was saying it was a little too close for me. If you plan to drop the car off and still have 2 hrs, you should be ok. Sometimes it can take a while to drop rental cars off, (especially in Orlando) so just allow yourself plenty of time after your turn the car back in.:)

We had a 5:30 flight out coming off of the Freedom.

Private transportation was $150 for 3 of us to KSC

then on to MCO.

We used Executive vip limo.

We spent 5 hours at KSC 9-2 which was great.

Archived