Question About Getting Bumped

HollandAvery

Okay, so I was discussing how I upgraded to a Grand Scenic Ocean View (9200) for my cruise on the Freedom and a few people mentioned that it's possible I could be bumped from that room since we only have 2 cruising in that room and it's able to fit 4.

I saved up the extra money just so I could upgrade to this room as a special surprise for my SO and I would be absolutely DEVASTATED if I lost our Grand Scenic Ocean View. I don't even care if they upgrade me to a suite or balcony...I booked this room for a very special reason and worked really hard to save up for it.

So...is this a reality I might have to face or is it highly unlikely or not something that will even happen at all?

When is the cruise?

More likely to be bumped on a cruise far into the future and/or a peak travel period.

We've been in higher occupancy cabins on low peak time cruises and never had a problem.

Okay, so I was discussing how I upgraded to a Grand Scenic Ocean View (9200) for my cruise on the Freedom and a few people mentioned that it's possible I could be bumped from that room since we only have 2 cruising in that room and it's able to fit 4.

I saved up the extra money just so I could upgrade to this room as a special surprise for my SO and I would be absolutely DEVASTATED if I lost our Grand Scenic Ocean View. I don't even care if they upgrade me to a suite or balcony...I booked this room for a very special reason and worked really hard to save up for it.

So...is this a reality I might have to face or is it highly unlikely or not something that will even happen at all?

if you got bumped they would have to put you in an equal or higher category cabin,

When is the cruise?

More likely to be bumped on a cruise far into the future and/or a peak travel period.

We've been in higher occupancy cabins on low peak time cruises and never had a problem.

It's in November 2015 after Thanksgiving. Is that a peak travel period? I feel like it wouldn't be, but I don't know.

if you got bumped they would have to put you in an equal or higher category cabin,

Although I understand this...I wouldn't care unless they offered the Captains Suite or something.

Like I said, I booked the room for a reason and don't want a balcony or anything else...I can't get another Grand Scenic Ocean View unless the 9201 opens up, so I honestly would be devastated and pissed if I lost the room, even if they offered a giant extended balcony. I know that seems crazy...but my SO has been dreaming of traveling in this room and it was supposed to be a surprise that I upgraded to it since he won't know until we get on the ship and open the door.

Although I understand this...I wouldn't care unless they offered the Captains Suite or something.

Like I said, I booked the room for a reason and don't want a balcony or anything else...I can't get another Grand Scenic Ocean View unless the 9201 opens up, so I honestly would be devastated and pissed if I lost the room, even if they offered a giant extended balcony. I know that seems crazy...but my SO has been dreaming of traveling in this room and it was supposed to be a surprise that I upgraded to it since he won't know until we get on the ship and open the door.

i wouldnt blame you one bit, i was in the one on the valor( didnt stay in it, did a cabin crawl and it was part of the tour) and it is amazing!!!

Edited by hockeyluver

It's in November 2015 after Thanksgiving. Is that a peak travel period? I feel like it wouldn't be, but I don't know.

After Thanksgiving and before Christmas is not exactly a peak travel time.

The week right after Thanksgiving and the week directly before Christmas do pick up, but you are probably fine. However, it is a cabin for 4 so you should always be prepared to be moved.

After Thanksgiving and before Christmas is not exactly a peak travel time.

The week right after Thanksgiving and the week directly before Christmas do pick up, but you are probably fine. However, it is a cabin for 4 so you should always be prepared to be moved.

Good to know.

Oh man, if they do try to move me it will be a big thing, I will completely lose my mind. It's making me sick just thinking about it. When I upgraded the Carnival rep said it fit 4 but 2 is fine and no problems...but then again, when I booked a 4J at first they told me it would have French Doors and it does NOT. Ugh.

So they are allowed to just bump you from the room that you paid for (and for me, booked over a year in advance) ?! I think that is so wrong. I understand it with a HC cabin, but 9200 isn't an HC cabin.

I feel like they honestly shouldn't be able to just do that.

I mean I know they'll make a better offer but what if I say no? Can I do that? Can I even tell them no?

Maybe because it isn't peak time is why they allowed you to book it. If you get bumped it will be to a balcony. To me that's not an upgrade from the grand scenic rooms, which are huge with sweeping floor to ceiling windows. If a party is looking for an oceanview room and these aren't available, I really don't see why they would bump you. It's a unique room. It shouldn't even come up for an agent when booking since it's already booked. But you never know.

Maybe because it isn't peak time is why they allowed you to book it. If you get bumped it will be to a balcony. To me that's not an upgrade from the grand scenic rooms, which are huge with sweeping floor to ceiling windows. If a party is looking for an oceanview room and these aren't available, I really don't see why they would bump you. It's a unique room. It shouldn't even come up for an agent when booking since it's already booked. But you never know.

Well we couldn't even have a balcony...my boyfriend is way too terrified (oh gosh) :rolleyes:

So if we got a balcony I'd be furious and you're right, that isn't an upgrade at all.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens. If I got bumped and put in a balcony I'm going to be honest, I'd probably no longer sail with Carnival...which would be sad for us because we like them a lot! Maybe that seems silly and drastic...but it's for a proposal and I can't imagine having any other room than this amazing view of the sunset while he proposes (his Mom leaked the cruise is when he was planning to propose, heh...so I surprised him while he tires to surprise me)

So yeah...I'd be furious. The Carnival rep I just spoke to was a little confusing. She seemed a bit incompetent...she said they would bump me if a 2 person cabin became available on the Lido. Um?

She also kept repeating things. She said "9200, 9200, 9200, 9200" and "lido deck, lido deck, lido deck" among others over and over again.

Edited by HollandAvery

You have peaked my curiosity with talk of this cabin, I have looked at the deck plans but I cannot find a cabin # 9200. Can you help?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As long as you promise not to take it!

Heh.

It is on deck 9 on the Freedom, forward. I know they have them on a few other ships like the Glory and Valor. There are only two of them.

Just remember a quad holds 4 people and if carnival can make more money by bumping you to a 2 person cabin and reselling yours with 4 people they will do it. They will bump you to a cabin in your bracket or higher (2person cabin). Hopefully you will be fine :)

Well we couldn't even have a balcony...my boyfriend is way too terrified (oh gosh) :rolleyes:

So if we got a balcony I'd be furious and you're right, that isn't an upgrade at all.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens. If I got bumped and put in a balcony I'm going to be honest, I'd probably no longer sail with Carnival...which would be sad for us because we like them a lot! Maybe that seems silly and drastic...but it's for a proposal and I can't imagine having any other room than this amazing view of the sunset while he proposes (his Mom leaked the cruise is when he was planning to propose, heh...so I surprised him while he tires to surprise me)

So yeah...I'd be furious. The Carnival rep I just spoke to was a little confusing. She seemed a bit incompetent...she said they would bump me if a 2 person cabin became available on the Lido. Um?

She also kept repeating things. She said "9200, 9200, 9200, 9200" and "lido deck, lido deck, lido deck" among others over and over again.

OK that's all really annoying with that rep. I understand how you feel, but consider a few things:

Is changing the date possible? I know this sounds drastic just for a cabin, but you're talking about a special occasion here. And 9201 for two is gone.

You can call Carnival and ask them to put a note on your reservation: do not upgrade. do not move. Now that may or may not help, but I would explain that this trip is a special occasion and let them know you want the notation on there.

Unfortunately you cannot get around the fact that the rooms holds 4. Technically they can move you. Don't put Carnival down for this as it's not the worst that can happen. The most important thing is that you are on vacation with your honey. Don't let a cabin, as fabulous as it is, taint those facts. I do hope it works out for you. And congratulations in advance.

:)

It is possible you may get bumped and it's within their right to do it no matter how much it stinks. Carnival is not the only cruise line that does this. I know first hand that Celebrity does as well.

I would keep an eye out for 9201 to open up and switch. That is the only thing you can to do guarantee you don't get moved short of paying for 4 people which if they let you do that, I think would be crazy. But if it means that much to you, you may want to inquire on that. I suppose you could make up 2 people and have them no show at the pier if it came down to it.

Keeping fingers crossed that it all works out. I know what it's like to have a favorite room. Once you get it in your mind, there's no changing. Have a great cruise and try not to worry.

OK that's all really annoying with that rep. I understand how you feel, but consider a few things:

Is changing the date possible? I know this sounds drastic just for a cabin, but you're talking about a special occasion here. And 9201 for two is gone.

You can call Carnival and ask them to put a note on your reservation: do not upgrade. do not move. Now that may or may not help, but I would explain that this trip is a special occasion and let them know you want the notation on there.

Unfortunately you cannot get around the fact that the rooms holds 4. Technically they can move you. Don't put Carnival down for this as it's not the worst that can happen. The most important thing is that you are on vacation with your honey. Don't let a cabin, as fabulous as it is, taint those facts. I do hope it works out for you. And congratulations in advance.

:)

Unfortunately changing the date isn't possible (although I wish we could have been more flexible about it!) I will try to call Carnival and get them to do this...I didn't know they could. Hopefully if it is seen they will respect it then.

I guess I worry too much...and although it wouldn't essentially ruin our vacation, it would certainly put a huge damper on it (especially if we ended up getting a balcony because my SO said absolutely not or he would get off the ship and refuse to sail (he thinks they are unsafe or something...couldn't even argue my point with him, he refuses to listen. Oh well, I didn't want a balcony that badly anyway)

And thank you, I appreciate it! (:

Unfortunately changing the date isn't possible (although I wish we could have been more flexible about it!) I will try to call Carnival and get them to do this...I didn't know they could. Hopefully if it is seen they will respect it then.

I guess I worry too much...and although it wouldn't essentially ruin our vacation, it would certainly put a huge damper on it (especially if we ended up getting a balcony because my SO said absolutely not or he would get off the ship and refuse to sail (he thinks they are unsafe or something...couldn't even argue my point with him, he refuses to listen. Oh well, I didn't want a balcony that badly anyway)

I was told that when I booked this room on the valor that it was hc and I may be bumped. Don't have to worry about that as they changed ships to the liberty and that ship doesn't have it. Very disappointed with the "upgrade" as we have a balcony now. Was going to be a surprise for my wife for our honeymoon.

As others have said, the week after Thanksgiving is low season so not so busy.

Since your cruise is over a year away, please do not spend all this time worrying yourself sick about it. If there was a chance you could be bumped then the Carnival rep should have told you this. When booking able bodied guests in a HC cabin, they usually warn you that there is a possibility that you could be bumped.

I would call Carnival and ask to speak to a supervisor and ask her what the possibilities are. If she can assure you that you are ok, have her record that you do not wish an upgrade or change.

Do not have this worry hanging over your head for a year. Part of the thrill of cruising is the anticipation of your cruise. Get it settled so you can enjoy and look forward to your cruise.

Hope everything works out for you!:)

Yes it can and will if there is a need for a 4 person room and it's not filed to capacity.

When I called and spoke to a rep she told me it would not show up for anyone to book, even an agent, because both Grand Scenic Ocean Views are already booked. She also put a notation on my booking that I would like to not be moved or upgraded for any reason.