Ages on River Cruises

harlady

I'm in my late 50"s and my husband is in the mid 60's also active. 4 years ago, we were among the youngsters on the trip. But we're going again. The ships are not very "active" but the ports are wonderful!!!!

I would say in general the age group is 55 and up. However, there is no doctor on board so most of the passengers are independent and mobile. We met some very interesting people on our two cruises. I am 57, was 55 when we did our first one two years ago.

You should fit right in. The ages on our river cruises were generally in 50s and 60s, with some in their 30s and 40s and some in 70s. But most everyone was quite fit and active. You have to be in order to do the tours in the ports which usually require walking on cobblestone with some steep hills. Most days we walked 2 to 3 miles. There was one older gentelman in a wheelchair, but he brought both his teenage grandchildren on the cruise who wheeled him around when we were in port.

We just did our first river cruise and found most of the passengers were 60 and up. I'm 58 and husband is 64, so we were not uncomfortable. I think the youngest on our ship were 2 couples in their 40's (I'm guessing). There were quite a few 80 or older - lots of seniors will tell you their age. :) Our ship did not have an elevator, so that limits the type of passenger to some extent.

I am 54 - and DH is 56...We have definitely been on the younger end of the passenger list --> HOWEVER - we have thoroughly enjoyed the "maturity" of the passengers. Most are well travelled - and display a comfort with themselves, and their "place" in this world that isn't as evident with others less "seasoned". Or, perhaps it is just that the more mature passengers are always so willing to share... time, experiences, advice etc - and we so enjoy that.

If you need contact with lots of people your age - and you are below 60 - this may not be the best choice for you.

My husband and are both in our middle sixties. We were almost the youngest on the ship. There were a few couples in their 40's but I'd say the average age was about 75. This is a very active cruise and several were not up to the challenge. We enjoyed it because we love walking to see all the wonderful places along the way. There were NO children on this cruise.

We are in our late 60s and been river cruising for 10 years. Yes, we find ourselves moving more slowly, but also know our limits and have never held up a touring group. Have branched out on our own at times, but find the local guides sooo good. We also travel with "cane seats" and can sit no matter where the guide stops the group. Also have never experienced children on the rivers--many lines have age restrictions unless it is billed as a family cruise. River cruising is very laid back ans relaxing, tho port intensive. Beware, it is addicting... number 15 this Dec and 16 next fall in China. Pat

Hi,

We are in our 70's and have been traveling for 40 years. We have never slowed anyone down and have met the most wonderful people on our travels. We NEVER look at age when we book a trip since meeting well traveled and interesting people is the most important thing along with seeing new places in the World. This week we returned from Europe with our 18 year old granddaughter and she wanted us to slow down so she could rest. We leave for Florida next week to see our kids in Florida and when we return we are off to Russia on the AMA Katarina. We are also booked for March to go to India and are booking a Disney cruise with our grandchildren for next June. We are also booking a river boat cruise from Bucharest to Budapest for next August. So, if age is the main issue for some of you younger people, just ask some of your friends to join you and you can have a good time with people your age while exploring the various ports.

Sheila

We are in our late 60s and been river cruising for 10 years. Yes, we find ourselves moving more slowly, but also know our limits and have never held up a touring group. Have branched out on our own at times, but find the local guides sooo good. We also travel with "cane seats" and can sit no matter where the guide stops the group. Also have never experienced children on the rivers--many lines have age restrictions unless it is billed as a family cruise. River cruising is very laid back ans relaxing, tho port intensive. Beware, it is addicting... number 15 this Dec and 16 next fall in China. Pat

That's good to know abut the age restrictions. DD is 11 and I'm thinking about doing a river cruise here in the next two years. DD is a very seasoned traveler and is used to traveling w/o any other children.

Uniworld has lovely family cruises in the summer. Really think it will be very difficult on the present river boats for an 11 year old. Steamboats travels with their daughter, but never takes ship tours. She could probably offer some advice. Some of the cruise lines have a minimum age of 12. Just researchwhat you want. Also Croisie Europe has family cruises in the summer. Good luck. Pat

Uniworld has lovely family cruises in the summer. Really think it will be very difficult on the present river boats for an 11 year old. Steamboats travels with their daughter, but never takes ship tours. She could probably offer some advice. Some of the cruise lines have a minimum age of 12. Just researchwhat you want. Also Croisie Europe has family cruises in the summer. Good luck. Pat

Thanks! When I get serious I will send them a note. I want to do a Christmas River cruise to hit all of the amazing Christmas markets. I know it's not going to happen this Christmas but by next Christmas she will be 12. :) That would be amazing.

We are going on our second Christmas market cruise this Dec. Perfect for a family outing. In fact all the onboard lectures on our first centered around the German customs and the food of Christmas. The markets themselves are so family centered. Just remember they usually close on Christmas Eve. The one in Vienna remains open thru the holiday. Pat

We are going on our second Christmas market cruise this Dec. Perfect for a family outing. In fact all the onboard lectures on our first centered around the German customs and the food of Christmas. The markets themselves are so family centered. Just remember they usually close on Christmas Eve. The one in Vienna remains open thru the holiday. Pat

Thank you!!!! :)

What is the average ages on River Cruises? My husband and I are in are early 50's and active. We are concerned that the age group may be a bit elderly? Comments please.

It's been our experience on both river cruises and large ship cruises, the longer the trip, the older the average passenger.

On our cruise last year, we had a couple that we thought were probably in their 70's and were shocked to find out that she just turned 90. They both walked and walked and walked everywhere. They were the oldest couple that we have encountered and hope that I can be that active if and when I reach that age.

We also have had folks in their mid-20's to early 30's. We enjoy talking with them and they would often seek out the older couples to have dinner with.

Age is irrevelant ... just enjoy traveling on your river cruise.

What is the average ages on River Cruises? My husband and I are in are early 50's and active. We are concerned that the age group may be a bit elderly? Comments please.

I would be more concerned about the activity level you enjoy than the average age. We are very active and enjoyed our first river cruise which was just 5 nights and port intensive. We took a 11 night last year and were just bored as there was nothing to do in the evenings some nights, and too much sailing time.

While the overall river cruise experience can be enjoyable for everyone, we have learned to choose itineraries more carefully. Seven nights is enough for us and this year we choose a cruise with three overnights in port so we can go out for dinner or after dinner as we choose. We also chose a theme cruise so it would have more special events that we will enjoy.

We are very active and prefer land trips where we use public transport but we do travel with friends and family who cannot get around as well as we can so river cruises are a nice compromise. We always add time on the ground before and after, on our own.

On our cruise last year, we had a couple that we thought were probably in their 70's and were shocked to find out that she just turned 90. They both walked and walked and walked everywhere. They were the oldest couple that we have encountered and hope that I can be that active if and when I reach that age.

We also have had folks in their mid-20's to early 30's. We enjoy talking with them and they would often seek out the older couples to have dinner with.

Age is irrevelant ... just enjoy traveling on your river cruise.

I would be more concerned about the activity level you enjoy than the average age. We are very active and enjoyed our first river cruise which was just 5 nights and port intensive. We took a 11 night last year and were just bored as there was nothing to do in the evenings some nights, and too much sailing time.

While the overall river cruise experience can be enjoyable for everyone, we have learned to choose itineraries more carefully. Seven nights is enough for us and this year we choose a cruise with three overnights in port so we can go out for dinner or after dinner as we choose. We also chose a theme cruise so it would have more special events that we will enjoy.

We are very active and prefer land trips where we use public transport but we do travel with friends and family who cannot get around as well as we can so river cruises are a nice compromise. We always add time on the ground before and after, on our own.

I think both of these posts realistically discribes the river cruising experience. We did our first river cruise in June, Amsterdam to Vienna for 12 days. DH and I are 69 and 67. I felt that we were youngher than most. There was one couple 94 and 88. They were pretty active!! However we did find the pace slow and the evenings were pretty much the same. The cruise was enjoyable but I wouldn't rush back to do another one.

Sue

Archived