Peggys Cove and Lunenburg or Top 10 Halifax

blakethan

Trying to decide between the above two excursions. Peggys cove and Lunenburg are with Halifaxtaxi and Top 10 are with Princess Excursions.

Anyone give me input on experiences with either of these. I know they are both long-I would love to see Lunenburg but Top 10 looks like its more of a variety!

We did a ship tour to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay 2 yrs ago and fell in love with the place.. we had 2.5 hours there in Lunenburg and another hour in Mahone Bay but that still wasn't enough time. IMHO I'd just do Lunenburg and enjoy this charming place and not be rushed to go to Peggy's Cove unless that's only tour available. How long do you have on your own in Lunenburg.. the extra couple of hours after the guided part of about 1/2 hr to orient us was great and lots of neat places for lunch etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Trying to decide between the above two excursions. Peggys cove and Lunenburg are with Halifaxtaxi and Top 10 are with Princess Excursions.

Anyone give me input on experiences with either of these. I know they are both long-I would love to see Lunenburg but Top 10 looks like its more of a variety!

I read that Lunenberg and Blue Rocks is less crowded so that would be my choice. What is your ship and date ? Judy

• 4 weeks later...

I just did the Top 10 Halifax last week and it was the only tour of the week that I didn't like. The itenerary is rushed and not well thought out. We drove around the citadel without even a stop to get out and take photos, then went to the historic properties where there were more restaurants than shops and we had 30 minutes. The crystal shop was nice, and quite expensive. If you need a yoga mat at another shop, you will do well, but there was nothing else. Then we hustled back onto the bus and headed to the cemetary where we spent way more time than I would have liked listening to the guide talk - lots of inaccuracies there too. Then we were off to lunch in a restaurant in a strip mall. The food was fine - no view or anything like that. Finally, off to Peggy's Cove, stopping by Acadian Maple where we had 15 minutes to shop after a short, but interesting talk about making Maple syrup. Prices were great there, samples were available and it seems everyone was buying something. By the time we got to Peggy's cove, it was totally fogged in, but still interesting. We had one hour - too long to look at the lighthouse in the fog, but not enough time to really experience the town. Last stop was a quick walk through the Halifax Public Gardens. They were beautiful, but I would have rather wandered on my own than trot along behind a talkative tour guide.

In the end, I would be hard pressed to tell what the top 10 things were and I was mentally exhausted from the incessant commentary. Guides on the tours we took in other ports were much better - more factually accurate and less intrusive. It was a long, long, long day. I would choose something else.

Archived