Time for Freeport LLBean and Kennebunkport?

twobluecats

Hello! A week from now we will be docked at Portland from 9-6, and we are renting a car. Do we have the time for a quick run to Freeport to visit LL Bean and then drive back down to Kennebunkport for lunch and sightseeing? We've been to all those areas before, but unsure about realistic drive times. Advice?

This is how I would look at it:

1800 hrs (6PM) - departure time

0900 hrs - arrival time

9 hours of port time per the itinerary

• -60 minutes - for clearing cruise ship and re-boarding time
  • -30 minutes - for rental car pickup and return
  • -120 minutes - total travel time per Google, P>F>K>P
  • -30 minutes - lunch at McD's
  • -4 hours total used

5 hours are available for touring. How would you split it? IMHO, you need 5 hours for each to do them justice

Not to mention construction delays, accidents causing delays and car breakdown.

If you think the times I used are off the mark, plug in your estimates and see how it looks.

I think I would do one (Kennebunkport and not eat at McD's) and checkout the LL Bean web site.

Here's the link to the Maine Official Fall Foliage Site http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/ You may want to reconsider your to dos.

SBtS

Don't count on 30 min. rental car time... there were quite a few people day we were there and it seemed to take forever... waited 45 mins to get "checked in".. I think your plan is too ambitious with all the variables. This time of year I'd take Kennenbunkport over Freeport. Lots of tourists weekends in October so both places likely to be crowded as well.

Thanks for the responses. We definitely will not be eating at McDonalds while in New England. We've visited both places several times, but the Clam Shack is on the itinerary for this trip. We will probably leave Freeport for another time.

Thanks!

We were just in Portland yesterday when the Jewel of the Seas was in. Foliage is much nicer along I95 than in NH where we live! I would pick one place or the other. Kennebunkport is small and traffic congested (we were there a week ago). I would go to Freeport, & Darmiscotta for the beautiful Lighthouse and a lunch stop if the Clam Shack is in that direction.

Kennebunkport isn't so special IMO

Have fun at LL Bean et al

(I know this is too late for OP but maybe others will read it.)

Foliage is a little late this year. We are north of Boston and our trees are just now starting to turn. Many leaves blew off over the weekend as we had a fair amount of wind.

Archived