Maho Beach

Has anyone been to the Sunset Bar at Maho beach recently? It looks like they're back open, is this a good place to spend some time watching the airplanes land? How much is a taxi ride from the cruise port and back? Also, any idea where I can find a schedule of the flights? I'd like to see what will be coming in while I'm there.

Thanks!!!

Has anyone been to the Sunset Bar at Maho beach recently? It looks like they're back open, is this a good place to spend some time watching the airplanes land? How much is a taxi ride from the cruise port and back? Also, any idea where I can find a schedule of the flights? I'd like to see what will be coming in while I'm there.

Thanks!!!

I would like to know this too!

loralie

389537_10150984956235352_617355351_21901119_1514352381_n.jpg

I don't have a pic of the board at Maho where they write the plane schedules up. We stopped there on Bernard's tour so can't advise taxi cost.

It's written on the surfboard, sticking out of the man's head. (I'm not the best photographer :D ) IIRC it was about $20 - $25 per cab each way.

EDIT: forgot to add link to photo: http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/Cruise05/SunsetBar.jpg

I am not sure there is any place you can look on at home before you go if that is what you mean. We were there in Jan 2011, and the bar was open. There is the surfboard with the flight times. From what we were told the bigger planes come in in the afternoon. we had gotten there first thing in the am. There is a steady (every 20 to 30 minutes) of smaller planes all morning. Someone said the bigger planes get there in the afternoon because they leave Europe etc very early in the am, but I don't know enough about how fast a plane flies to know if that is correct.

Give yourself a lot of extra time to get back to ship, the traffic is awful! Have fun!

Going to Maho Beach has always been something I love to do in St. Martin. Last year it was so crowded we really did not enjoy it. The size of the crowd will depend on how many ships are in port.

The airport website used to list the arrivals and departures. It seems to be down at the moment. I keep getting an error when I try to bring it up. http://www.pjiae.com/ It is Princess Juliana International Airport. The code is SXM.

The Corsair and the Air France flights are the best ones to see, they fly 747s and A340s into SXM. KLM probably has a large plane also.

Thanks!!!

Just there 12/10/11 KLM jet was an experience! Taxi cost us $8 p/person each way. Construction is done took about 25 minutes each way, but leave before 3PM, traffic gets very heavy.

Here is flight time link:

http://www.sxmarrivaltimes.com/

We were just there over Thanksgiving. We had hired a private driver for the day (yeah, it sure cut into my gambling money), but was a godsend since there were seven cruise ships in port that day. We toured in the morning and went to Orient Beach for an hour then to Maho. It was so packed by the time we got there I didn't know how we would ever find a spot to park, let alone get onto the beach. It was about 10:45AM. Our driver found a spot down on the other end, opposite from Sunset Bar. It was quite nice and there were two bars there, one attached to a resort and another rustic one by the road. The latter was great. There was also good food. The beach surprised me because in my research I had seen pix, recently, where there was no beach, just rocks. On this day the beach was great and the water crystal clear. It was nicer than Orient beach and I'm picky about beaches. With all of the traffic we left about 3 and were in the port area in 25 minutes The larger planes come in after 12 and I do not think the KLM 747 comes in everyday, but I could be wrong. We had a blast. Maho and St.Maarten in general was so great we are thinking about a week long stay. It was the best beach day ever. People think I'm crazy, but I love to watch planes land. Have a great cruise!!! PS if I had to do it over again I would just take a cab to Maho and get there early and set up a spot for prime viewing.

We have gone to this beach twice and both times we have taken the water taxi to town then taken the public bus @ $2.00 a person each way to the beach, we told the driver where we wanted to go and when he let us off He told us where to stand to catch the bus back. The beach is not bad at all and have seen many kids. Hope this helps.

Funny thing about that beach at Maho. It has a local name, but I don't remember it. Your kids will enjoy it, if you go at a good time.

Every time there is a hurricane or even a big storm....all the sand washes away. As soon as possible, following the event, they bring in sand trucks and replenish the sand.

We have been there when the sand trucks were delivering, and it is just truck after truck. One of them accidentally dumped his load on the little 2 lane divided road. It caused quite a traffic mess and lots of shouting. :D:):D

My DH and I were on the Allure and went to Maho Beach on 12/01/11. We took a large taxi (van) from the port. It cost us $8.00 per person each way (so $32.00 round trip total for two people). The van did not wait for us, but came back to pick up another group that had boarded with us, so we took advantage of that and went back to the ship with them. The contruction made the drive much longer than it would normally be, so be sure to allow lots of time for your return. We arrived at Maho around 10:00 AM, spent the time at the Sunset Beach Bar, took lots of pictures of planes landing and took the taxi back to the ship around 11:30 AM. It was absolutely wonderful, we did not see huge planes land, but we saw lots of them and it was a great morning! Enjoy!!

What is the beach like? Would the kids enjoy it too?

I think it depends on the age of your kids. The planes are loud but really fun! The water was very rough and was knocking my son (age 13) and I off our feet, the waves crash on the shore with a lot of force. We were "playing" in the surf and many times had waves crash over us with a force the made me think I was nuts to be out there and a few times I thought I was in trouble. While trying to recover from one wave another would pick me up, roll me over and slam me into the beach. When we were done I had sand in places I didn't know I had places. :D BUT it could have just been a bad surf day. We also spent a few days at Dawn beach that day and had rough surf too. If that is the normal, I would not let little kids play in the water, but kids who can swim and are a bit older (at least ten or so) should be fine. But kids are all different so use your judgement. The beach is kind of steep, so it is a differnt beach experience than just a flat beach.

Also, I don't know what you want to expose your kids to, but the bar on the beach offers free drinks to toppless women, and it seems to be the place to remove your top and take a photo by the surfboard. There wasn't tons of naked ladies running around, but toplessness is there. :eek:

And it would depend on the age of the children. I witnessed several adults being blown into the water like pieces of paper when the jets were landing, however these people knew the jets draft was going to do that and chose to stand there and experience this. If you have small children I would make sure they are out of the flight pattern to be safe. But Maho is the greatest experience ever. Going back again this year just for that and previous posters are correct, you need to time your return back to the ship, as with the construction and the draw bridge you don't want to get caught in traffic. Good luck and hope you have the greatest experience!!!

We were there 3 days ago on the Serenade (and going through serious withdrawal now!). There were a couple of decent-sized planes around 1-1:30, but as others have stated there is a steady flow of planes landing throughout the day. The large jets arrive later in the afternoon. Given the uncertainty of traffic, we didn't want to risk waiting to see them.We rented a car for the day, so it was easy for us to come/go when we wanted. The water was very rough - we watched several children and adults get knocked down by the waves. It was lots of fun, and a great way to spend some time.

It takes about half an hour in a cab. In my opinion it would be really dangerous on a scooter. (But I think they're dangerous anyway)

The windy, 2 lane road goes over the hills, think Skyline Blvd. or 17 over to Santa Cruz.

I don't recall seeing any scooters, but there might be rentals somewhere. :)

It takes about half an hour in a cab. In my opinion it would be really dangerous on a scooter. (But I think they're dangerous anyway)

The windy, 2 lane road goes over the hills, think Skyline Blvd. or 17 over to Santa Cruz.

I don't recall seeing any scooters, but there might be rentals somewhere. :)

I've been riding those roads for over 20 years - love 'em! :D

Wait...how did this thread get moved to the Cozumel forum?

We were there 3 days ago on the Serenade (and going through serious withdrawal now!). There were a couple of decent-sized planes around 1-1:30, but as others have stated there is a steady flow of planes landing throughout the day. The large jets arrive later in the afternoon. Given the uncertainty of traffic, we didn't want to risk waiting to see them.We rented a car for the day, so it was easy for us to come/go when we wanted. The water was very rough - we watched several children and adults get knocked down by the waves. It was lots of fun, and a great way to spend some time.

I've read that the construction has been suspended. Was there much traffic when you were there? I will be there in early February and am hoping the traffic is better. We are the only ship in port that day (on a Monday) and I think that will also be a (positive) factor.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Archived