Wonder Dry Dock Late Jan 2014

hencoll

According to a popular blog as well as other boards, two late January 2014 (1/19 and 1/24) 5 night cruises have been cancelled while the Wonder goes in for a 2 week dry dock.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/09/disney-wonder-dry-dock-scheduled-for-late-january-2014/

We were told it was delayed until 2015 but it did have a generator fire and therefore needs more urgent at tension. A week back I saw one poster saying with authority the a wonder would cancel or be late out of Vancouver going back down to LA, she worried lot of people who were phoning DCL on her in the know comments. Clearly whilst its serious they can cope and her posts last week on another site were false.

While on the Magic in August 2013' date=' we were told the the Wonder would be doing "the same dry dock as the Magic" in 2015 (they didn't say in the same shipyard though!). Sounds like a "quickie" to do the necessary stuff in 2014...and makes one wonder about the 2015 plans.[/quote']

Yes that ties up exactly what we were told the zwoner major dry dock, like the Magic is in the fall of 2015, they were openly talking about it. Now they have pulled this at short notice and at cost 25% of a carribean or Bahamas cruise, and may pay flight costs if booked just after new special rates were issued.

This is a rush job, dry dock space needs normally to be booked up a long time in advance short notice is hard to come by and expensive, so this is a need from maybe a generator going and thinking well others might go as well. Maybe lucky the Magic is in dry dock now.

So short notice.

As said earlier this generator fire occurs in Akaska, now one poster on another forum was posting that they will delay the west coast repos out of Vsncouver and worried and annoyed a lot of people.

She was posted with authority of a delayed cruise for them, well that was all wrong, .......we know now the truth.

If this had anything to do with the generator, she would already have been put into a local yard for repairs. After the Carnival repeat disasters, no line would take a chance and run her for 6 months needing work. They would have gone right into a yard. In addition the generator work would not have required a dry dock just a the repair yard.

This sound more like they got their ducks in a row regarding the refit work, the duck tail and what they could or could not do with the PC and class requirements for her required dry dock.

It is possible the space was available in Freeport and they took it while it was available.

AKK

AKK

If this had anything to do with the generator' date=' she would already have been put into a local yard for repairs. After the Carnival repeat disasters, no line would take a chance and run her for 6 months needing work. They would have gone right into a yard. In addition the generator work would not have required a dry dock just a the repair yard.

This sound more like they got their ducks in a row regarding the refit work, the duck tail and what they could or could not do with the PC and class requirements for her required dry dock.

It is possible the space was available in Freeport and they took it while it was available.

AKK

AKK[/quote']

Interesting, but if that's the case its costing them a bomb on refunds they should have had there ducks in a row far earlier...

Interesting, but if that's the case its costing them a bomb on refunds they should have had there ducks in a row far earlier...

It really depends how many cabins were sold and what they are paying for the yard time.

They may have been waiting for a answer from the class, maybe class told them they had to get the recertification done, no if ands or buts. Maybe the PC answer was no length waivers etc. Maybe the yard space opened up recently. It could be any number of reasons. If DCL had a problem or a drifting vessel with passengers and it was known they knew they had problems it would cost a hell of a lot more in costs and reputation, then refunding 2 5 day cruises.

However as stated, no way would they run that vessel with passengers and having major generator problems. Look at what happened with the Celebrity Millilumim. They are running that vessel empty to the yard for repairs. They got the passengers off the ship fast.

The smoke fire on the Wonder didn't even slow her down that night, nor did they lose any services/electrical systems.

Add that I have not seen anything in the trades that did more then a short mention of a smoky fire.

AKK

I'm sueRe they want to do a more thorough dry dock like that on the Magic sooner, too, but they can't complete the full "reimagination" until the upgrades to the canal are completed. That addition of the "duck tail" will make the ship too long for the locks, which would mean a costly repositioning trip around S. America twice a year.

As others have said, this is just routine maintenance and repair that can't be done while at sea.

I understood they have five or six generators so yes they can run on one down, but its sensible to fix it when they can. I read reports if a fire and brightstsr called, but they did continue without any issue. One person on another board made far more of it than it was, she was posting if the repos being delayed for a few days, but they would be able to get a replacement up there that quick, and be able to install it, it would be ordered. I think DCL have gone as TS says for the first logical stop and time, when there are fewer booked and the dry dock has a slot.

It annoyed me and many others one poster made this sound far worse than it was.

I'm sueRe they want to do a more thorough dry dock like that on the Magic sooner, too, but they can't complete the full "reimagination" until the upgrades to the canal are completed. That addition of the "duck tail" will make the ship too long for the locks, which would mean a costly repositioning trip around S. America twice a year.

As others have said, this is just routine maintenance and repair that can't be done while at sea.

The present PC locks are 1055 long and the normal max. length transit is 964. The Wonder is 964, with the Duck Tail she would be 984 and would require special permission to transit the PC. This has been been before. We don't know if DCL was not issue a special permit or if they even asked.

AKK

I understood they have five or six generators so yes they can run on one down, but its sensible to fix it when they can. I read reports if a fire and brightstsr called, but they did continue without any issue. One person on another board made far more of it than it was, she was posting if the repos being delayed for a few days, but they would be able to get a replacement up there that quick, and be able to install it, it would be ordered. I think DCL have gone as TS says for the first logical stop and time, when there are fewer booked and the dry dock has a slot.

It annoyed me and many others one poster made this sound far worse than it was.

Morning DF.

Not for nothing, but right now, except for some gossip on line, there is no information or reports of any repairs needed to the Wonder. What ever may or may not have been needed was carried out onboard.

AKK

Morning DF.

Not for nothing' date=' but right now, except for some gossip on line, there is no information or reports of any repairs needed to the Wonder. What ever may or may not have been needed was carried out onboard.

AKK[/quote']

Your up early! Morning, doesn't Disney like to keep things quite, as they do not want people to worry. I recall the old cruise director joke by Christain, he said a lady came up to him and said do the crew stay on the ship all the time.

He answered in a joke no a helicopter takes them home each night.

On the cruise comment cards the lady wrote......

Wonderful cruise, BST the noise of the crew helicopter taking off each night.

So I think they like to keep things quite.

On ship there were correct reports of a fire a number of cruisers who were on the ship have posted that.

One poster who wasn't on the ship then started to post the following cruises would all be delayed out of Vancouver answering other people's posts, the people on the next cruise reading this contacted DCL who said her posts were all wrong!

I always am up early! I got in the habit at work. I can get so much more done before the phone starts ringing!:D

True all lines do like to keep these things quite, but if this was anything major the word would be out and all the forums would be blasting about it. There would be comments and information on the industry gossip line. Not a word!

Yes there was a reported and true *brightstar* that night. The vessel never even slowed down or lost any electrical power or services.

So what ever it was, was minor and may very well been repaired on board the vessel. We don't know which generators or for that matter *what* in the engine rooms had the smoke or even if it was a real fire.

These cruise line vessels have massive mechanical systems and now ad then something breaks down and repairs carried out , no big deal.

The wonder as 5 main engine/generators and I believe 3 emergency generators. # mains run the propulsion and 1 for hotel/vessel service and the 5th as needed.

She can run on 4 mains available. My earlier point is no line especially DCL would take the chance of running passenger cruises and getting stuck adrift.

This short notice yard period could have been picked for any number of reasons, but this minor incident really has little if anything to do with the choice/place or time.

I believe DCL finally decided they could not do the refit and the normal recertification/yard period at the same time and they NEEDED to get the recertification done soon!

AKK

PS. Just for the discussion and you can tell this other poster saying its a major repair. If it did require a main generator replacement, It would take more then 9 days in the yard. They would need to cut open the side of the hull, finished taking the damaged unit apart and rig up to remove it from the vessel, and then set in place the new generator and then weld the hull back together. Not to mention all the testing and class passing the new generator. I lot more the 9 days work.

I always am up early! I got in the habit at work. I can get so much more done before the phone starts ringing!:D

True all lines do like to keep these things quite' date=' but if this was anything major the word would be out and all the forums would be blasting about it. There would be comments and information on the industry gossip line. Not a word!

Yes there was a reported and true *brightstar* that night. The vessel never even slowed down or lost any electrical power or services.

So what ever it was, was minor and may very well been repaired on board the vessel. We don't know which generators or for that matter *what* in the engine rooms had the smoke or even if it was a real fire.

These cruise line vessels have massive mechanical systems and now ad then something breaks down and repairs carried out , no big deal.

The wonder as 5 main engine/generators and I believe 3 emergency generators. # mains run the propulsion and 1 for hotel/vessel service and the 5th as needed.

She can run on 4 mains available. My earlier point is no line especially DCL would take the chance of running passenger cruises and getting stuck adrift.

This short notice yard period could have been picked for any number of reasons, but this minor incident really has little if anything to do with the choice/place or time.

I believe DCL finally decided they could not do the refit and the normal recertification/yard period at the same time and they NEEDED to get the recertification done soon!

AKK

PS. Just for the discussion and you can tell this other poster saying its a major repair. If it did require a main generator replacement, It would take more then 9 days in the yard. They would need to cut open the side of the hull, finished taking the damaged unit apart and rig up to remove it from the vessel, and then set in place the new generator and then weld the hull back together. Not to mention all the testing and class passing the new generator. I lot more the 9 days work.[/quote']

Fully agree and thank you for the insight on the tech knowledge,

True all lines do like to keep these things quite' date=' but if this was anything major the word would be out and all the forums would be blasting about it. There would be comments and information on the industry gossip line. Not a word!

AKK

PS. Just for the discussion and you can tell this other poster saying its a major repair. If it did require a main generator replacement, It would take more then 9 days in the yard. They would need to cut open the side of the hull, finished taking the damaged unit apart and rig up to remove it from the vessel, and then set in place the new generator and then weld the hull back together. Not to mention all the testing and class passing the new generator. I lot more the 9 days work.[/quote']

The Disney Wonder has five identical Sulzer engines each 11.5 kW and two propulsion motors each 19.0 kW. They share the same bus. I don't have anything on emergency generators.

The present PC locks are 1055 long and the normal max. length transit is 964. The Wonder is 964' date=' with the Duck Tail she would be 984 and would require special permission to transit the PC. This has been been before. We don't know if DCL was not issue a special permit or if they even asked.

AKK[/quote']

I've read that the useable length is approximately 1,000 feet because of the thickness of the walls of the locks at the base. Even so, you're correct although a search of the web suggests that the maximum allowed length of passenger vessels and container ships is 965 feet with other vessel types allowed a maximum length of up to 950 feet.

I read it was 968 feet. lol

So .... it's still going to be at tight squeeze thru the canal with minor damage expected. That's if they send a duck tail thru the canal. I suspect they won't, or need to. IMO

You guys are entertaining. :D Keep it coming. ;)

The Disney Wonder has five identical Sulzer engines each 11.5 kW and two propulsion motors each 19.0 kW. They share the same bus. I don't have anything on emergency generators.

They have 2, one larger one, and a smaller one aft for essential services.

I've seen the larger one on a engine room tour.

ex techie

Archived