Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Arrow Cruise Critic's Africa & Middle East Resource Info

Voyages to the Middle East and Africa are among cruising's most exotic -- and as such pose a lot more questions than more well known destinations. Check out our brand new Middle East and Africa section -- right now stories just target Middle Eastern ports but we look forward to plumping it up with lots of Africa ports and trips in the future.

Africa & Middle East Ports of Call by Cruise Critic
Cruise Critic

Follow us on Twitter

Check out thousands of photos in our full-featured Photo Gallery!

Don't miss anything "cruise newsworthy" -- sign up for our weekly newsletter

When your values are clear, your decisions are easy -Roy Disney-

Last edited by LauraS; June 28th, 2005 at 12:14 PM.

Old July 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, I've been traveling in this region a bit my self and there are plenty of beautiful cruises to be found there!

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Are Visas needed for cruise to Egypt and/or Israel?

I am traveling on Holland America's Rotterdam RT Athens this fall 2013 (Oct. 31) and have had several varied answers to this question. The tour operator we are using while docked in Alexandria and Port Said (Ramses) says the ship will provide as long as have a vacant page in our passport book.
Holland tells me ONLY IF we book an excursion through THEM.
Since we are sailing from Athens, obviously we need to know since we would not have an opportunity at an airport to get one as I have had some say.
I called CIBT (Zier) and they have a quite detailed process of obtaining a Visa for Egypt costing almost $200 by the time you pay this and that.
I have had no luck finding on the travel.state.gov website any precise info.
Please advise! Thanks in advance!
Debbie in MS

Old September 12th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ready to go!!

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Golden IRIS and Royal Iris of Israel

Dear All,

I am a Jewish American and Israeli and love cruising. I work in the technology sector and love cruises. For all of you who want to get away from the large costly megaships, I have a real alternative for you. http://www.mano.co.il/cruises/eng/ships.php departs from HAIFA with trips to Greece, Cyprus, Turkey and the ships have short two day weekend trips along with 10 day cruises. A first class stateroom on one of these ships is very inexpensive compaired to the MEGA ships. And the line is owned and operated by Israelis. If your feeling adventurious and wanting to have a good holiday, this is a great alternative.

The food is high quality and the passangers are international. This cruiseline is one of ISRAELS best kept secrets. The cruiseline is small but is owned by MANNO Marine. I would highly recomend it.

The security is tight, but not obtrusive like American security as Israeli's believe interviewing is a better method of stoping terrorism. I am very surprised that Cruise Critic has not approached MANNO Marine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Voyages to the Middle East and Africa are among cruising's most exotic -- and as such pose a lot more questions than more well known destinations. Check out our brand new Middle East and Africa section -- right now stories just target Middle Eastern ports but we look forward to plumping it up with lots of Africa ports and trips in the future.

Africa & Middle East Ports of Call by Cruise Critic

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Egypt is a tough port right now. The muslim brotherhood situation is out of control. Hopefully order will be restored. I would like to encourage you to consider cruising out of israel.

http://www.mano.co.il/cruises/eng/ships.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise391 View Post
I am traveling on Holland America's Rotterdam RT Athens this fall 2013 (Oct. 31) and have had several varied answers to this question. The tour operator we are using while docked in Alexandria and Port Said (Ramses) says the ship will provide as long as have a vacant page in our passport book.
Holland tells me ONLY IF we book an excursion through THEM.
Since we are sailing from Athens, obviously we need to know since we would not have an opportunity at an airport to get one as I have had some say.
I called CIBT (Zier) and they have a quite detailed process of obtaining a Visa for Egypt costing almost $200 by the time you pay this and that.
I have had no luck finding on the travel.state.gov website any precise info.
Please advise! Thanks in advance!
Debbie in MS

Old November 10th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor3000A View Post
Dear All,

I am a Jewish American and Israeli and love cruising. I work in the technology sector and love cruises. For all of you who want to get away from the large costly megaships, I have a real alternative for you. http://www.mano.co.il/cruises/eng/ships.php departs from HAIFA with trips to Greece, Cyprus, Turkey and the ships have short two day weekend trips along with 10 day cruises. A first class stateroom on one of these ships is very inexpensive compaired to the MEGA ships. And the line is owned and operated by Israelis. If your feeling adventurious and wanting to have a good holiday, this is a great alternative.

The food is high quality and the passangers are international. This cruiseline is one of ISRAELS best kept secrets. The cruiseline is small but is owned by MANNO Marine. I would highly recomend it.

The security is tight, but not obtrusive like American security as Israeli's believe interviewing is a better method of stoping terrorism. I am very surprised that Cruise Critic has not approached MANNO Marine.
Hi.

I'm surprised and glad you mentioned Mano Cruises!

Only a few people would even think of doing this, but it is a great option. Do they even speak English on Mano?

It's a shame that only very rarely do cruises on international lines depart from Israeli ports. For example, Costa sails around the Red Sea, including Eilat, but as far as I can tell, you can only depart from Sharm el-Sheikh.

However, I recently saw that MSC had one-week sailings from Haifa this past summer. Unfortunately, I saw this the week after the last sailing.

Happy Cruising!
August 2005 Disney Magic Caribbean
May 1996 RCI Sovereign of the Seas Caribbean
Late 80s/Early 90s HAL Westerdam Caribbean