why not join in roll calls?

montana200024

Well, this is very interesting. We're going on our first cruise in2/15 and I signed up with the roll call right away. DH is self - employed, I'm retired, and we don't get to meet new people very often. I can't see what we have to lose by hanging around with some experienced cruisers who know all the ropes.

This said, I have to say I was a little unnerved when I found out 1) there is a spreadsheet 2) there is a cabin crawl, and c) we are all going to be given Mardi Gras beads to wear. There was also some vague mention of aT-shirt. Someone on this forum said "high school." That's exactly what I thought. However, I'm going to reserve judgment because doing different things on a vacation is what it's all about, and furthermore no one can force us to spend time with them if we choose otherwise. I understand the people who just want peace and quiet: when I was working, I'd have said the same. Times and people change, however.

Also, I'm not sure I understand all this fearfulness out there. If someone wants to look at my cabin,why should I care. It's not my home, it's a floating hotel room. As for not divulging information about oneself, what's the big worry? Identity theft? I don't see my fellow cruisers as a bunch of opportunistic criminals. Or am I missing something?

I want to encourage you to get involved with your roll call group. We do roll calls for any trip that is more than 7 days. I have learned quite a bit about smart cruising from folks on the roll calls and have learned a lot about new ports. It is nice to run into people and do small things like lunches or a program together. My DH and I are pretty independent of one another during the late morning to mid afternoon so I enjoy joining others for things like a cooking demo or lecture.

I personally wouldn't order t-shirts, mugs or jewelry that defines me as a CC for a particular sailing but the beads are a great way to find one another at the sail away. My DH told me to bring them next time! We also did the cabin crawl and offered our cabin. Our room attendant was notified and did extra cute towel animals. I loved seeing the other cabins for future reference. I don't see any problem with giving my cabin number on a roll call.

The best roll calls keep the personal chatter to a minimum and get involved in planning some private excursions. I have arranged shuttles and did all the research for a town in England for a train excursion and it worked out great. The only things I don't participate in are gift exchanges and pub crawls. Our last Roll Call group doubled our money during the slot pull!

My dw has been a member here for many many years but because of a temporary eye issue doesn't post anymore. We or I should say she joined every roll call and does enjoy them. It is a little different story for me. I just retired and haven't had time until recently. I didn't go to a M&G until the last cruise and doubt if I will go to anymore. My wife does enjoy them and has met some wonderful people that have become lifelong friends who we cruise with often. There have been many holiday cruises that no one has showed up for the M&G and then some long cruises that have had over 200 people.

We have stopped giving our cabin number to the roll call because we book suites and are tried of people begging us to have a cabin crawl in our cabin and when we have had the grand suite - what a mistake - they not only wanted a cabin crawl but a sailaway party for the roll call.

Then one time my wife and a lady started emailing for six months before the cruise, they seemed nice at the M&G so she invited them down for cocktails before dinner - what a nightmare - they were so dull and the woman thought we were their new best friends and wouldn't leave us alone. I really think they were watching our cabin because we would run into them five minutes after leaving the cabin. We ended up being prisoners in our cabin because we could not stand being around them.

Most of these roll calls are organized by well traveled CC people so why are they so anal about cabin crawls. By now they should have seen every category on the ships. And if you haven't, stop by and look yourself when you are disembarking. We enjoy having people down to our cabin but I want to select them.

..Also, I'm not sure I understand all this fearfulness out there. If someone wants to look at my cabin,why should I care. It's not my home, it's a floating hotel room. As for not divulging information about oneself, what's the big worry? Identity theft? I don't see my fellow cruisers as a bunch of opportunistic criminals. Or am I missing something?

This is exactly the reasoning those who don't care to participate in these activities encounter. What are you afraid of? What harm? Are we not nice people? Everyone has different levels of tolerance. If a group wishes to identify themselves by wearing group T-shirts, beads, or whatever then far better for me not to participate at all then to be the spoil sport or party pooper.

I guess I have been lucky or just take the right type cruises. We have been on 36 cruises and joined the Roll Call for most of them. Some have had organized slot pull or cabin crawls, but we did not participate in them. I never felt any pressure to do so. We have taken may private tours organized on the Roll Call, but never were pressured to do one that didn't interest us. Last year we did about 30 private tours on our cruises.

As to giving private info to the Roll Call, that is up to you. No one can make you give your name, cabin, or any other info.

Amen to that Paul..

Wow. I had no idea that there was all this "stuff" going on around roll calls. The most I've ever seen by way of get-together was a meet-up with some other CCers in a bar before dinner one night. I've never heard of crawls, gifts, etc. That does sound a bit much. I've always looked at roll calls as a way to meet people virtually before meeting them on board.

I always join our roll call and have connected with some great people. It's so much fun to connect with other people who have cruise fever... And your "at home" friends end up being grateful they don't have to be the ones to hear about your cruise plans on a daily basis :p

The complaints I can get on board with? Bailing on a r/c that ignores you or is rude to you. Bailing on a r/c that is too pushy about attending events or pushing for information you're not comfortable giving.

The complaints I scratch my head at? Bailing on roll calls that have extra activities planned, or name their group, or offer identifying paraphernalia :confused: Unless you are being specifically pressured to participate in the events, then why get upset that other people in your group are having fun and connecting? Just pick and choose what activities (if any) you want to join in on...and pass on the rest. Maybe I've just had good experiences, but that's how things have gone for us. On our last cruise, we named our group & offered tee shirts for easy identification if desired (about 20 people bought them... no pressure on those who didn't); we offered a group sail away location which about half of the roll call attended...again, no pressure. We also had a embarkation day drink location that about dozen people attended and a first night dinner that almost everyone attended. There were other casual gatherings that were both lightly and heavily attended, as well as some group excursions... Some we personally attended, some we passed on. No matter how big or small the attendance, we always had a blast when we did attend. Positive experience all the way around for us :D

I don't have that many cruises under my belt yet!:D My last two cruises I got involved in the roll calls but never made it to the meet and greets and slot pulls. We ended up socializing with other people we met on the cruise instead. My next cruise the roll call seems rather boring, and it appears the group is an older cruising crowd and they seem to know each other already. I plan on lurking around the roll call but will probably not get to involved!:rolleyes:

Azmike480

I guess I have been really lucky. We have been on 32 Princess cruises. I joined the Roll Call for all but the first few. I have never felt pressured to do an activity or buy a group identifying item. We have never done a cabin crawl or a slot pull. Just not interested. Sometimes my wife will do the gift exchange.

I always join our roll call and have connected with some great people. It's so much fun to connect with other people who have cruise fever... And your "at home" friends end up being grateful they don't have to be the ones to hear about your cruise plans on a daily basis :p

The complaints I can get on board with? Bailing on a r/c that ignores you or is rude to you. Bailing on a r/c that is too pushy about attending events or pushing for information you're not comfortable giving.

The complaints I scratch my head at? Bailing on roll calls that have extra activities planned, or name their group, or offer identifying paraphernalia :confused: Unless you are being specifically pressured to participate in the events, then why get upset that other people in your group are having fun and connecting? Just pick and choose what activities (if any) you want to join in on...and pass on the rest. Maybe I've just had good experiences, but that's how things have gone for us. On our last cruise, we named our group & offered tee shirts for easy identification if desired (about 20 people bought them... no pressure on those who didn't); we offered a group sail away location which about half of the roll call attended...again, no pressure. We also had a embarkation day drink location that about dozen people attended and a first night dinner that almost everyone attended. There were other casual gatherings that were both lightly and heavily attended, as well as some group excursions... Some we personally attended, some we passed on. No matter how big or small the attendance, we always had a blast when we did attend. Positive experience all the way around for us :D

I guess I have been really lucky. We have been on 32 Princess cruises. I joined the Roll Call for all but the first few. I have never felt pressured to do an activity or buy a group identifying item. We have never done a cabin crawl or a slot pull. Just not interested. Sometimes my wife will do the gift exchange.

I put together our roll call. Royal Princess, Feb. 17. Started my first roll call to see how it worked out. After we hit 15 couples, we took a vote on a name for our group, as it was suggested by a few. Looked for other interests and listed what others recommended. No cabin crawl. No gift exchange. Slot pull - yes, so I put that together. Folks are getting together on line for tours. Wife and I picked a tour that we would like but with just the two of us, would have cost $140. Filling a van with 8 folks would bring the price down to $30 each. Now looking for 6 more people to fill our 3rd. van. Discovered that about 6 couples are staying at the same hotel. Being filled with cruisers would be difficult to meet each other, so, while I hate hats, tee shirts, beads, etc., I will bring mardi gras beads for those who want to join us the night before in a mini informal meet and greet. So far, they are all in for our own small party the night before sail away.

So far, our group has over 60 signed up. Princess is providing Club 6 and will have a cash bar open for us. They have been great to work with.

Ya'll have a great cruise. The "ROYAL FLUSHERS" will have one. Harry

Wow. I had no idea that there was all this "stuff" going on around roll calls. The most I've ever seen by way of get-together was a meet-up with some other CCers in a bar before dinner one night. I've never heard of crawls' date=' gifts, etc. That does sound a bit much. I've always looked at roll calls as a way to meet people virtually before meeting them on board.[/quote']

I use the roll calls to gain information about the ports we are going to visit and to possibly team up on an excursion. Most provide this valuable service.

Some evolve into social groups, planning events as if they were parties for close friends, even down to picking cute group names, exchanging cheap gifts, designing group T-shirts, wearing name badges or certain color beads or pins, etc.

The worst are those that become a personal messaging system for a few people to talk with each other about non-cruise related nonsense, like how their day is going, what the weather is like today, what they watched on TV last night, etc. Instead of texting or emailing each other, they use the roll call to chat about whatever is on their minds at the moment.

Edited by fortinweb

To tell the truth every time my husband and I join we are ignored. Seems like a group forms inside the roll call and if you aren't in that group they don't talk to you. I have had more posts ignored than I can say so I don't try anymore.

The M+M is more of a "cult meeting" between a bunch of know it all braggart

Zombies gathered to out do each other.....as another has posted " I'm on vacation and not out to make new friends ( a term used very loosely IMO) and that goes for the crew also......;)

Seldom. Usually only to get info on, or join a private tour.

No interest in whatsoever in gift exchange, cabin crawls, pub crawls, or slot pulls.

I find that they often get long and drawn out with little data on ports or excursions. Sometimes the old home week, my high school was, or we lived down the road from you can get to be a little too much.

The question was, why not join roll calls?

When posters gave their reasons for not joining, all those who do gave their reasons for joining. A number of posters went on to say they couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't. The reverse can also be true.;):)

The question was, why not join roll calls?

When posters gave their reasons for not joining, all those who do gave their reasons for joining. A number of posters went on to say they couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't. The reverse can also be true.;):)

That's a very good point! :cool: Personally, I like roll-calls -- but I can certainly see why others don't. Thank goodness, it's not a mandatory activity (like the muster drill)! ;)

I have put together the roll call for a cruise in Feb. Those who want to join in, OK. Slot pull in the afternoon? Those who want to join OK. Tour on Grenada? Those who want to join? OK

A cruse is for each individual. Join in something or not? OK

Something that you don't like or want to join? OK

Table for 2 or a group of 8? OK

Just go with the roll and flow of the ship for your own experience. No need to talk down or flame anyone for their opinion. It their cruise also.

Just relax and enjoy your time aboard. No big deal. ;)

well said

We don't like having planned activities (other than excursions), so we wouldn't participate in any of the meet and greets, etc. We have made some great friends on our cruises, some of whom we still keep in touch with, so we aren't totally antisocial. We just find it easier to connect with others in person. When we find ourselves enjoying similar things with others, it's easier to strike up that first conversation, regardless of age or other differences.

Edited by keywest1
delete extraneous info

I always join the roll call but never go to meet and mingles. DH isn't interested and I really don't want to have to go to another "meeting". I vacation to get away from all that:D

I usually stop posting when the posts become that "back and forth" thing, but still lurk. One roll call several years ago was very helpful and we joined a tour which ended up being one of the best ones we have taken. That is really the only reason to join and the banter is one reason not to join in my opinion. I try to avoid optional things that make me feel bad.

I have put together the roll call for a cruise in Feb. Those who want to join in, OK. Slot pull in the afternoon? Those who want to join OK. Tour on Grenada? Those who want to join? OK

A cruse is for each individual. Join in something or not? OK

Something that you don't like or want to join? OK

Table for 2 or a group of 8? OK

Just go with the roll and flow of the ship for your own experience. No need to talk down or flame anyone for their opinion. It their cruise also.

Just relax and enjoy your time aboard. No big deal. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "I have put together the roll call..." There are a couple ways I can interpret this, can you clarify what you mean?

When we cruise, we go to cruise. If we make new friends, fine. If we don't, fine. We don't cruise to specifically meet and greet. Same with our train travel.

Mostly though, I don't care to share travel plans online. If I do, its very vague. Maybe the month but, little else.

Carnival has roll-calls on their website. I think more people go to the "FB" to the group pages that get created for each cruise.

Princess had Roll Calls on the FB page, but dropped them. I found the FB ones pretty much worthless. Just about all the posts were things like "We are John and Mary from St. Louis".