Bar Hop stops reviews

Sir_Randy

Looking into doing this in January - was curious about the beach access at the stops and if there is time to actually get in and enjoy the water a little, or do most people sit in the bar area and not get in the water?

Also, this is the first time to Cozumel for some of the people in our group - so if this was your first time (and maybe only time) to Cozumel, would you recommend this tour or something where they can see/spend more time at the beach?

Thanks!

Go to Zydococruiser's review and scroll down to the Cozumel day for a wonderful photo tour (as usual) of the Bar Hop

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalElationApr2013/index.htm

This will show you what each of the bars has to offer. The first stop, Punta Morena is the most like the usual beach bars and has a swimming pool although it was drained when we did the bar hop. Some people did have a quick dip in the sea at that location on our tour. Each stop is only about 40/45 mins.

The east side is not generally recommended for swimming due to currents. you are free to sit at the bar or take a walk and explore at each location as you please. I would say our tour was probably mid-size about 15/20 people and we did a little of both, some stops we did our own thing, some stops we sat together and chatted. I think each group is probably different and a lot probably depends on how many of the group already know each other. I think 6 is the minimum number for the tour to run.

We really enjoy touring round the island and have been several times with a private driver and the bar hop. Other times we like to sit and relax at one beach. Sometimes it's hard to decide as a group.

Earlier this year when we went on a tour of St. Maarten, my husband got really car-sick (combination of the speed bumps and turns). What are the roads like on this tour? I'm trying to cut down the chances of him getting sick again on this cruise.

3-4 turns depending on where you start (that includes street turns). One turn is basically a long curve. in between fairly straight. Can't opine on recent road conditions but in the past, the roads and streets were decent, few if any potholes.

Earlier this year when we went on a tour of St. Maarten, my husband got really car-sick (combination of the speed bumps and turns). What are the roads like on this tour? I'm trying to cut down the chances of him getting sick again on this cruise.

Roads are VERY Straight and VERY flat (compared to most other Caribbean Islands).

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, there is time for shopping if you can still function afterwards. :D

The bus will drop you off at the pier which has a shopping area, or you can ask to be dropped off downtown. If you choose downtown you'll have to take a cab back to the pier. The Bar Hop people are very aware of your ships schedule and will keep their bus on schedule. Since you are not in Cozumel very long you might want to go straight to the pier to shop so you don't end up worrying about getting back in time. Plus, it helps you avoid the last minute "Running of the Drunks."

FYI - We loved the bar hop, and we're not kids. ;-) We would absolutely do it again.

On our April cruise, we've decided to hire a cab for the day and do our own version of the bar hop. I'll come back and post a review of it after I compare the two!

Aww I was looking forward to a review comparing the two.

My BF and are currently trying to decide if we should do the bar hop or a private taxi tour and just pick out a couple of stops (Coconuts and Playa Bonita?). My main concern with the bar hop was that I also wanted to go to Mr. Sancho's to try out the fish foot spa thing. If the bus drops us back off at 3, would we have enough time to go, do it, and then make our boat at 6:30? The fish thing takes about 20-30 minutes. I worry it's too rushed.

Edited by adverb

My BF and are currently trying to decide if we should do the bar hop or a private taxi tour and just pick out a couple of stops (Coconuts and Playa Bonita?). My main concern with the bar hop was that I also wanted to go to Mr. Sancho's to try out the fish foot spa thing. If the bus drops us back off at 3, would we have enough time to go, do it, and then make our boat at 6:30? The fish thing takes about 20-30 minutes. I worry it's too rushed.

Having 3.5 hours before having to be back on the ship does seemed rushed to us, however if everything fell into place you may be able to do it. Depends on how bad traffic is getting you to Mr Sanchos & back to your ship. After our Bar Hop was over we just went to a bar & had a couple of beers before going back to the ship which to us, was relaxing.

We enjoyed the interactions between fellow Bar Hoppers which was remains one of the best aspect of doing this tour. Your alternate plan of getting the cab would get you to do all you wanted. Maybe someone else here on CC may have better suggestions or input .Either way, enjoy your cruise !!

Oops. I forgot my comparison review!!

We loved the private tour. Our driver was excellent, and the day was perfect. We ended up going to Coconuts for lunch and had a great time. The Bar Hop tour was there at the same time and were also having a great time - some of them having a really great time. :D

Our driver took us where we asked, offered some great suggestions and gave us a terrific overview of the island. He asked us up front about our time frame and was very reliable and sure we got back to the pier when we said we wanted to be back. He would have taken us to several bars/restaurants, but we decided to hang out a while at Coconuts.

As for a comparison, both experiences were awesome. They were just entirely different. One was a cultural day, the other a party. I would do either one again in a heartbeat.

That said, a driver for the day will make sure you have plenty of time for the fishie treatment, and he'll even wait for you while you have your toes nibbled.

On the other hand, the Bar Hop will make sure you have a fun time with the group and will make sure you safely get back to the pier in plenty of time to get to the ship. Once they drop you off you're on your own to make sure you can even see the ship to get on it. :eek:

So, I guess it comes down to what you really want to accomplish in your day. Does this help?

Oops. I forgot my comparison review!!

We loved the private tour. Our driver was excellent, and the day was perfect. We ended up going to Coconuts for lunch and had a great time. The Bar Hop tour was there at the same time and were also having a great time - some of them having a really great time. :D

Our driver took us where we asked, offered some great suggestions and gave us a terrific overview of the island. He asked us up front about our time frame and was very reliable and sure we got back to the pier when we said we wanted to be back. He would have taken us to several bars/restaurants, but we decided to hang out a while at Coconuts.

As for a comparison, both experiences were awesome. They were just entirely different. One was a cultural day, the other a party. I would do either one again in a heartbeat.

That said, a driver for the day will make sure you have plenty of time for the fishie treatment, and he'll even wait for you while you have your toes nibbled.

On the other hand, the Bar Hop will make sure you have a fun time with the group and will make sure you safely get back to the pier in plenty of time to get to the ship. Once they drop you off you're on your own to make sure you can even see the ship to get on it. :eek:

So, I guess it comes down to what you really want to accomplish in your day. Does this help?

Thank you! I put this in the other thread but the weather report calls for an 80% chance of rain and now I am rethinking the east side. BF still wants to do it, though.

Did you have any rain on either times you went? Are the bars doable in the rain?

Thank you! I put this in the other thread but the weather report calls for an 80% chance of rain and now I am rethinking the east side. BF still wants to do it, though.

Did you have any rain on either times you went? Are the bars doable in the rain?

I'd rather be sitting in a beach bar than touring ruins or sitting laying on a beach, that's for sure. That said, you cannot always rely on the weather forcast and if it does rain in Coz, it usually blows through pretty quickly.

We don't do the lying on the beach thing either and rain doesn't dampen our fun. We consider it part of the adventure. One of our all-time favorite trips was on the Yucatan to the ruins at Coba. It poured down rain the whole time and we had the place mostly to ourselves. We felt like Indiana Jones. :D

Coconuts is mostly enclosed, so rain won't affect you at all other that going up the stairs and inside. I imagine the view will still be awesome. Playa Bonita would be fine, too.

If it were me, I would ignore the forecast and just go with it!

I would still do the hop, even with the weather forecast. My wife and I had a blast on it, and will definitely do it again. Besides, what else are you going to do in Cozumel in the rain? These bars should still be plenty fun even with a little rain, and the other side of the island is beautiful!

Do you know if you can do the bar hop the day of? The more I think about it, the more I'd rather do the fish spa and the chocolate tour. I think it will be too hard to do the bars too. I might just spend the rest of the time in downtown.

BF really wants to do the bar hop, but is also hesitant on the weather. I think he's more into it than I am.

Can he do a ticket at the last minute or the day of?

Do you know if you can do the bar hop the day of? The more I think about it, the more I'd rather do the fish spa and the chocolate tour. I think it will be too hard to do the bars too. I might just spend the rest of the time in downtown.

BF really wants to do the bar hop, but is also hesitant on the weather. I think he's more into it than I am.

Can he do a ticket at the last minute or the day of?

I am sure he can book it last minute providing they have reached the minimum to allow the tour to run at all and hasn't been cancelled in advance. As far as turning up on the day, well, you would need to ask Tom about that as you would need to know the exact meeting time and location. At least you are docking at Punta Langosta and can get to the meeting place easily.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. The forecast is for 50-80% chance of rain for the next 10 days. This is quite common and probably will not be continuous. We have been on Cozumel on land visits when it was downright cold, wet and windy and certainly not beach days but this is not usually the case. The temperatures are not forecast to be cold at the moment. Sitting in a bar on the east side under cover sounds fine!

That said, I think it would be really pushing it to do bar hop and Sanchos and that you would be better with your own driver, or just do one or the other.

I am sure he can book it last minute providing they have reached the minimum to allow the tour to run at all and hasn't been cancelled in advance. As far as turning up on the day, well, you would need to ask Tom about that as you would need to know the exact meeting time and location. At least you are docking at Punta Langosta and can get to the meeting place easily.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. The forecast is for 50-80% chance of rain for the next 10 days. This is quite common and probably will not be continuous. We have been on Cozumel on land visits when it was downright cold, wet and windy and certainly not beach days but this is not usually the case. The temperatures are not forecast to be cold at the moment. Sitting in a bar on the east side under cover sounds fine!

That said, I think it would be really pushing it to do bar hop and Sanchos and that you would be better with your own driver, or just do one or the other.

I found out the time and meeting location, so that's not a problem. Although I've noticed they are slow to respond.

Thinking of doing my own thing that day and sending my BF on the bar hop. I think I care more about the food than seeing the beach, so I could just have him get some coconut shrimp and conch ceviche for me. Do they have to-go containers? LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update.

The Bar hop people never responded to our e-mails in time so we went with a private driver. Since we only had 7.5 hours in port and lots we wanted to do, it was a quantity trip over quality. We ended up spending an hour at Coconuts and Rasta's. East Side was very nice, although we got a little bit of rain, but not much.

I may do the bar hop next time we are in port. We shall see.

Just wanted to give an update.

The Bar hop people never responded to our e-mails in time so we went with a private driver. Since we only had 7.5 hours in port and lots we wanted to do, it was a quantity trip over quality. We ended up spending an hour at Coconuts and Rasta's. East Side was very nice, although we got a little bit of rain, but not much.

I may do the bar hop next time we are in port. We shall see.

Did you get to do the fish spa? I know they have them in town in Playa Del Carmen as well, so I thought maybe they would have them in San Miquel as well, but I also heard that the square in town is under construction, so wasn't sure.

What else did you do in your 7.5 hours?

Did you get to do the fish spa? I know they have them in town in Playa Del Carmen as well, so I thought maybe they would have them in San Miquel as well, but I also heard that the square in town is under construction, so wasn't sure.

What else did you do in your 7.5 hours?

Yes, did the fish spa at Mr. Sanchos. I heard there was one in downtown too but the Mr. Sanchos one got such great reviews.

We also did the chocolate factory tour and our driver even stopped at a gas station on the way back for me to pick up some Mexican Gas Station Coffee :)

So...our cruise is coming up in 2 weeks and there are 6 ships in port and about 25,000 cruisers. Oh joy!

Anyone been on the Bar Hop with that many people in port? Wondering how much this specific tour (or its stops) are affected by the masses??? :eek:

So...our cruise is coming up in 2 weeks and there are 6 ships in port and about 25,000 cruisers. Oh joy!

Anyone been on the Bar Hop with that many people in port? Wondering how much this specific tour (or its stops) are affected by the masses??? :eek:

Lol - you are in port the same day as us!

I think you will be good with the Bar Hop. The east side is never overcrowded which is why we are heading out that way. Since you get to go to four different venues you will get variety. Most crowded is likely to be Coconuts and that does get crowded depending on what time of day you arrive, the others will be fine.

We remember 3 ships in Port while we did the Bar Hop & everything was good. Only thing we could add to what c-leg said would be if you have not reserved a spot on the Bar Hop yet, might be a good idea to sign up if you have not done that already. You are going to have a fun time !!!

Thanks for the comments re: the crowd factor. I did reach out to the Bar Hop folks to see if they had room for 4 and Tom responded same day with a "Yup, sure do".

With our port intensive itinerary (3 back to back) and this being the last, we worry that the day of we wont be so excited to go (had that happen before). We were just planning on staying on the ship but then you fine CC folks had to post all these fun photos of the bar hop, and well, he we are thinking about it. :D