Hotel in San Juan Questions

cruzbound

Hi there,

We will be in San Juan in March 2013 for a cruise and will be coming in a day early and need a hotel. I would prefer to stay near the port (we will be on RCCL) or on the beach - does anyone have any recommendations? Also, it seems the best way to get a good rate is through Hotwire or Priceline - could someone tell me how to do this so I can get a specific hotel I may want?

Thanks, cruzbound

Hi there,

We will be in San Juan in March 2013 for a cruise and will be coming in a day early and need a hotel. I would prefer to stay near the port (we will be on RCCL) or on the beach - does anyone have any recommendations? Also, it seems the best way to get a good rate is through Hotwire or Priceline - could someone tell me how to do this so I can get a specific hotel I may want?

Thanks, cruzbound

You may want to start by reading the "sticky" at the top of this forum on winning bids. We too, are looking for a hotel for next April. Reading reviews on the Tripadvisor site has been helpful in narrowing down our choices.

There is so much information on this board about hotel recommendations just do a search and definitely check out the sticky about bidding on Priceline or using hotwire. You may want to check out betterbidding.com. It has helped us before. This will be our fifth timing sailing out of PR and we have always won the Intercontinental or Marriott Stellaris on Priceline. Both on the beach. My preference is for the Marriott but with Priceline you take a chance.

-Kristi

Thanks! I started reading the sticky - now my main question is what hotels do you all like out there? We have only stayed in San Juan once and that was two years ago in Old San Juan and the hotel was a dive. I don't really know that layout of San Juan that well either - how far away is Old San Juan from the cruise port? Is a beach hotel closer to the cruise port? What about hotels close to the cruise port - is the view not so good (more like what you see at port - yuck)? Please tell me which ones are where so when I go to bid I know what to look for? Sorry for the 20 questions and to be so not on top of this. Thanks, cruzbound

Thanks! I started reading the sticky - now my main question is what hotels do you all like out there? We have only stayed in San Juan once and that was two years ago in Old San Juan and the hotel was a dive. I don't really know that layout of San Juan that well either - how far away is Old San Juan from the cruise port? Is a beach hotel closer to the cruise port? What about hotels close to the cruise port - is the view not so good (more like what you see at port - yuck)? Please tell me which ones are where so when I go to bid I know what to look for? Sorry for the 20 questions and to be so not on top of this. Thanks, cruzbound

What cruise line are you sailing? Only some of them dock in OSJ and are near a hotel. Carnival for one and I am not sure of the others. Would you mind saying which hotel you stayed in that was a dive?

Since you're sailing on Royal, the ship docks at the Pan-American pier, which stands out there on its own. No matter where you stay, you'll need to take a taxi to the pier. Taxis are plentiful in San Juan, so no worries about transportation.

The resorts in San Juan (on Priceline) are on the beach. Here's a listing of the hotels you're likely to get if you bid on a resort in San Juan (scroll down). You can do a search on each hotel in the listing in Tripadvisor, to make sure you'll be happy with any of those. IMO, if you bid strictly on "Resort" in San Juan, you'll be fine. :)

Took the RCCL Adventurer of the Seas (Feb 2012)out of San Juan

Stayed at the La Concha Hotel very nice but pricey..

Check hotel website for best prices and packages....( a 5-10 minute cab ride to pier)

They are a Marriott property and walking distance to the other

Marriott property. You can actually see the ship from your balcony.

Condado very nice area, many restaurants and shopping....

Most all Condado hotels are close to pier....

Have also stayed in Isla Verde (close to airport) actually lliked Condado

area better...

We have stayed at the Marriott Stellaris twice and the Intercontinental twice. Next year we are staying at the Villa Herencia for 2 nights and won the Marriott Stellaris on priceline for one night. We wanted to stay in OSJ and give that a try but also wanted a beach day.

Either way you need to take a taxi to the pier. I think both the Marriott and Intercontinental are zone 8 4 star resorts. Both are right on the beach. We like the Marriott better but you can't choose when bidding on Priceline. Both have restaurants and stores with in walking distance. Hope this helps.

-Kristi

Took the RCCL Adventurer of the Seas (Feb 2012)out of San Juan

Stayed at the La Concha Hotel very nice but pricey..

Check hotel website for best prices and packages....( a 5-10 minute cab ride to pier)

They are a Marriott property and walking distance to the other

Marriott property. You can actually see the ship from your balcony.

Condado very nice area, many restaurants and shopping....

Most all Condado hotels are close to pier....

Have also stayed in Isla Verde (close to airport) actually lliked Condado

area better...

We enjoyed La Concha too, stayed there before our last cruise on the Serenade. It's a beautiful hotel right on the beach and in a nice area. I agree with you cabarr, I like Condado a little more than Isla Verde.

What cruise line are you sailing? Only some of them dock in OSJ and are near a hotel. Carnival for one and I am not sure of the others. Would you mind saying which hotel you stayed in that was a dive?

Thanks HostFaith and to everyone with the suggestions. I will print everything out at work and start to figure things out so I can start bidding (and hopefully get a good price). One last question - what should I use, Priceline or Hotwire?

choozin' cruzin' - we stayed at S.J. Suites in Old San Juan and was not impressed at all with them. I am going to make sure we get a nicer hotel this time.

Take care everyone!

cruzbound

• 1 month later...

After an extended port stop in San Juan, my husband really wanted to book a cruise that leaves from San Juan. So we are adding 3 days on each side of our January cruise. For the pre-cruise stay, we are booked at Caleta 64 in Old San Juan. For the post-cruise stay, we want to try the resort experience.

We aren't the type to spend a lot of time at the beach or pool. And we prefer a quiet place to get a drink over a noisy dance club. The Tripadvisor photos (from the travelers viewpoint) for La Concha look interesting, but I wonder if the Marriott would suit us better.

Thanks HostFaith and to everyone with the suggestions. I will print everything out at work and start to figure things out so I can start bidding (and hopefully get a good price). One last question - what should I use, Priceline or Hotwire?

cruzbound

You should use both. With Hotwire they tell you the price and number of stars and then if you accept the offer they charge your credit card and you are committed. If you use betterbidding.com or another one of the bidding web sites you may be able to narrow down which hotel it my be based on the description Hotwire provides before you accept. So if you see something you think looks ok on Hotwire, then you could just accept the offer and you are done. If the Hotwire prices are not so good, you could try Priceline where you bid how much you want to spend on the hotel with. Particular minimum star level and in a particular area of the city.

Remember neither site includes taxes and resort fees in the price you bid or are offered.

Just been reading your thread and I too am looking for hotel in SJU before a cruise. Can I please ask what do you mean by "read the "sticky" at the top of this thread". I don't see anything.

At the top of the Puerto Rico board, there is a "sticky" about bids on Priceline and hotels that people have gotten on Hotwire. You need to go back out of this post and to the top of the Puerto Rico Forum. You can see what people have paid recently so you get a better idea what is what.

-Kristi

After an extended port stop in San Juan, my husband really wanted to book a cruise that leaves from San Juan. So we are adding 3 days on each side of our January cruise. For the pre-cruise stay, we are booked at Caleta 64 in Old San Juan. For the post-cruise stay, we want to try the resort experience.

You will love Caleta 64. It's in the heart of the old city and close to everything. Betsy and Gustavo are delightful. You will feel like you live in OSJ. I'm envious!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone~ I am new to posting and had a question regarding this...I am traveling to PR April 19th I have been trying to book the DoubleTree by Hilton in San Juan and have been told they have not opened their online booking yet and none of the online booking sites has rooms available. Has anyone every heard of this especially since it's so far in advance?

They open up their reservations about a year in advance, there are "no rooms available." Your only hope for the Doubletree is if someone cancels their reservation between now and April 19.

At the top of the Puerto Rico board' date=' there is a "sticky" about bids on Priceline and hotels that people have gotten on Hotwire. You need to go back out of this post and to the top of the Puerto Rico Forum. You can see what people have paid recently so you get a better idea what is what.

-Kristi[/quote']

Thank you Kristi!!

Hi there,

Thanks, cruzbound

Hi:)....all good information you have been given but just to make sure

you understand, when using Priceline there is never a guarantee you

will receive a specific hotel. IF you absolutely want a certain property

without fail? Priceline would not be the way to go.

One other thing you can do is sign up for the Marriott credit card, and you get one night free in a cat 1-4 hotel. You also get 50,000 points after your first purchase which is 2 nights in a cat 4. With the extra points that we already had, we've booked the Marriott Stellaris for 2 nights. I was hoping that I could use our free cat 1-4 hotel stay then also, but it expires within 6 months of receipt.

Many RCI and Celebrity ships dock at the OSJ pier, not the remote Pan Am pier. However, this is for ships making a port stop so if your cruise originates from SJ, that might indicate the remote Pan Am pier.

All the Condado area hotels are a short cab ride away from the pier. The Isla Verde cluster is by the airport and is much further away, say 25-30 minutes. And you get the thrill of the big jets thundering overhead.

Archived